Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best run for my girlfriend getting into comics?

Hey guys - first post here. So I've been trying to get my girlfriend to give graphic novels a shot, and I'm thinking of recommending a Wonder Woman trade to her, maybe one by Rucka as I'm a fan so I can at least vouch for his writing.

What's a good initial jumping-on point? She would probably want to read a trade, so there's a Rucka Vol 1 from a few years ago and other Vol 1 from Rebirth. Other thoughts?

While it's not canon or anything, one that might be worth a shot is the Legend of Wonder Woman series by Renae De Liz with Ray Dillon.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    While it's not canon or anything, one that might be worth a shot is the Legend of Wonder Woman series by Renae De Liz with Ray Dillon.

I came into this thread to suggest exactly this. If she saw the Wonder Woman movie this would be a very easy, very, very enjoyable entry point I think. And I don't think it being out of continuity really matters, most people getting into comics aren't going to be following monthly titles, so it doesn't matter if it "counts" with whatever else you're reading.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Do you have any canonical recommendations? She's reading Identity Crisis and enjoying it, and although a lot has happened since then, she may enjoy something that's in the main continuity in addition to the Elseworlds story you guys have suggested.

You can never go wrong with Rucka. I'd recommend his Rebirth stuff from 2016. There's a solid origin story there that, I think, a fan of the film would like.

If she's enjoying Identity Crisis, you might want to consider Azzarello's run from the New52/2011. It gets a whole lot of hate here, so I'm sure posters after me will tell you it's awful and you should avoid it like the plague and they'll call me a monster for suggesting it. And maybe you should avoid it, it wasn't your typical WW story. It's a very slow burn of a tale, told over....I dunno, 4-5 trades or so? And it takes a much more thriller/horror approach to Diana and her world, much closer to Vertigo (if you're familiar with the imprint) than traditional DC. But if your girl is enjoying Identity Crisis I think Azzarello's darker vibe might work for her.

And of course, there's the OG Perez run from 86 (or was it 87?). It's gonna read pretty dated, but is considered a classic by fans. Possibly *the* classic, and it's informed basically every version of Diana that has been seen since.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Eric Luke's Devastation story arc was great.

I've actually been enjoying Wonder Woman in Justice League Dark, the current series. It may actually give her a broad range of characters that she will appreciate.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I'm also fond of Gail Simone's 'The Circle' storyline which expounds on (without really changing) Diana's origin story.

Incredible Member

I'm going to second that vote for Simone's "The Circle" and add her two-parters with Black Canary & with Power Girl.

If she likes Identity Crisis then she might honestly enjoy the Azzarelo WW run, which also has the benefit of being fully self contained. Otherwise I echo the other stories listed here:
    Legend of WW
    Rucka’s WW Rebirth run.

Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions, everyone! I got her the first hardcover volume of the Rucka run for starters. Legend of WW is probably next on my list!

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

The post-Crisis Perez run was very good. I am surprised no one has mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    You can never go wrong with Rucka. I'd recommend his Rebirth stuff from 2016. There's a solid origin story there that, I think, a fan of the film would like.

If she's enjoying Identity Crisis, you might want to consider Azzarello's run from the New52/2011. It gets a whole lot of hate here, so I'm sure posters after me will tell you it's awful and you should avoid it like the plague and they'll call me a monster for suggesting it. And maybe you should avoid it, it wasn't your typical WW story. It's a very slow burn of a tale, told over....I dunno, 4-5 trades or so? And it takes a much more thriller/horror approach to Diana and her world, much closer to Vertigo (if you're familiar with the imprint) than traditional DC. But if your girl is enjoying Identity Crisis I think Azzarello's darker vibe might work for her.

And of course, there's the OG Perez run from 86 (or was it 87?). It's gonna read pretty dated, but is considered a classic by fans. Possibly *the* classic, and it's informed basically every version of Diana that has been seen since.
    I'm glad you mentioned Azzarello's run, which I personally enjoyed very much. It's just another take on the Wonder Woman mythos & not a monstrous suggestion at all!

The Perez run is also a great suggestion & I would also suggest "Paradise Lost/Found" by Phil Jimenez. "Down to Earth" & "Eyes of the Gorgon" by Greg Rucka & "The Circle" by Gail Simone.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

[QUOTE=Ascended;4519283]You can never go wrong with Rucka. I'd recommend his Rebirth stuff from 2016. There's a solid origin story there that, I think, a fan of the film would like.

If she's enjoying Identity Crisis, you might want to consider Azzarello's run from the New52/2011. It gets a whole lot of hate here, so I'm sure posters after me will tell you it's awful and you should avoid it like the plague and they'll call me a monster for suggesting it. And maybe you should avoid it, it wasn't your typical WW story. It's a very slow burn of a tale, told over....I dunno, 4-5 trades or so? And it takes a much more thriller/horror approach to Diana and her world, much closer to Vertigo (if you're familiar with the imprint) than traditional DC. But if your girl is enjoying Identity Crisis I think Azzarello's darker vibe might work for her./QUOTE]

I think any run that garners that much divisiveness should be recommended so someone can read it for themselves and determine their own feelings. I'd say the run is more frustrating than bad, because it can be very good (even great) at certain things: chiefly the artwork and style, but also Diana's characterization in general, the basic plot, STRIFE, the cool new revamps of the Gods and the friendship between Diana, Zola and Hera and Hera's arc in general. But it fumbles in key areas, namely almost everything about the Amazons, letting Zeus off the hook despite the whole mess being his fault, marginalizing Aphrodite and Athena, etc.

still, it's not outright bad like Robinson or Finch's runs.

I'll be honest, as a whole Azz's run is among my absolute favorites, second only to Rucka's. Azz's take on the Amazons was horrid, but virtually everything else was fantastic and I really appreciated the more mature, slow-burn Vertigo approach, it felt more like Greek myth than superhero.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.