Extraordinary Member

Default Great final movies in a series

Every series eventually reaches a natural conclusion, whether because all the stories have been told, the actors have gotten too old, or it was simply the right time and story. Not every series can stick the landing, even with just a trilogy, but when they do it is often something special. This thread is for those special conclusions.

In no particular order:

Avengers Endgame - while obviously not the end of the MCU, it was still an ending for several of the biggest movie franchises and characters of the last decade, as well as the final chapter of the Infinity Saga.

Return of the King - I don't think this even needs an explanation. This won oscars for a reason.

Star Trek The Undiscovered Country - It's hard to think of a better sendoff for the original crew. Making peace with their mortal enemies the Klingons, showing that even old veterans can grow and change, and Kirk's final order 'second star to the right, and straight on till morning.'

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2. This was the end of many of our childhoods, and in almost all ways it delivered.

Godzilla vs Destroyah: Bringing back the Oxygen Destroyer in the final film of the Heisei era was a stroke of genius. Still one of the absolute best movies in the franchise.

The Dark Knight Rises: I know it gets hate on this site, but as a conclusion to Batman's story I think it's great and an emotional ride.

Honorable mentions to Toy Story 3 and Return of the Jedi, as the latter was never meant to be the last movie to be made even if it did tie up every loose end, and I haven't seen Toy Story 4 yet. But 3 was a near-perfect ending.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Every series eventually reaches a natural conclusion, whether because all the stories have been told, the actors have gotten too old, or it was simply the right time and story. Not every series can stick the landing, even with just a trilogy, but when they do it is often something special. This thread is for those special conclusions.

In no particular order:

Avengers Endgame - while obviously not the end of the MCU, it was still an ending for several of the biggest movie franchises and characters of the last decade, as well as the final chapter of the Infinity Saga.

Return of the King - I don't think this even needs an explanation. This won oscars for a reason.

Star Trek The Undiscovered Country - It's hard to think of a better sendoff for the original crew. Making peace with their mortal enemies the Klingons, showing that even old veterans can grow and change, and Kirk's final order 'second star to the right, and straight on till morning.'

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2. This was the end of many of our childhoods, and in almost all ways it delivered.

Godzilla vs Destroyah: Bringing back the Oxygen Destroyer in the final film of the Heisei era was a stroke of genius. Still one of the absolute best movies in the franchise.

The Dark Knight Rises: I know it gets hate on this site, but as a conclusion to Batman's story I think it's great and an emotional ride.

Honorable mentions to Toy Story 3 and Return of the Jedi, as the latter was never meant to be the last movie to be made even if it did tie up every loose end, and I haven't seen Toy Story 4 yet. But 3 was a near-perfect ending.
    Imo Toy Story 4 is even better.

War for the Planet of the Apes that trilogy was great and the third movie delivered.

Logan was the end OF Wolverines Trilogy and his story. Though I wish it I would also been how the XCU went out aswell. And that movie is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Imo Toy Story 4 is even better.

War for the Planet of the Apes that trilogy was great and the third movie delivered.

Logan was the end OF Wolverines Trilogy and his story. Though I wish it I would also been how the XCU went out aswell. And that movie is amazing.
    I agree with these, except Toy Story 4, I am yet to see it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage