Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batman vs. Link

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    There's a difference between gear providing protection and making him borderline invulnerable.

I'm disinclined to believe that Link is tough enough to basically ignore being hit with a tree trunk by a giant outside of gameplay mechanics. He's generally presented tough, but tough by human standards, not taking shots from King Kong tough.

If you have some evidence that Link actually is borderline invulnerable outside of gameplay mechanics, what is it?
    Considering ALL of his mechanics are game mechanics, probably nothing by your standards? There is true power scaling in BoTW though. He's not remotely "near invulnerable". Even with maxed out gear, a gold Lynel landing a good hit drains multiple hearts because they are just that much more potent then the previously mentioned stuff.

I dont even remotely subscribe to the notion that his feats make him basically invincible being my point.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 08-19-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Also, for what it's worth, Link has been portrayed as "King Kong tough" plenty of times and across multiple titles. Not just BoTW. He has many many MANY title feats of getting blasted over the horizon or picking up huge blocks of stone or overpowering giant monsters etc. BoTW is not some huge deviation for the guy.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member

At least the army-slaughtering Link from Hyrule Warriors is non-canon.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    At least the army-slaughtering Link from Hyrule Warriors is non-canon.
    Haha yeah. That would be a bit much
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Haha yeah. That would be a bit much
    I mean, there's a bit in Skyward Sword where he smacks down an army of enemies right before the final showdown with Ghirahim.

It's not as insane as what Hyrule Warriors Link pulls off, but there are similarities.

Extraordinary Member

Wait, does "full arsenal of gear" mean that Batman gets his Bat-mobile from Arkham Knight?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Wait, does "full arsenal of gear" mean that Batman gets his Bat-mobile from Arkham Knight?
    Yes it does.

(Link also gets the Master Cycle)

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Yes it does.

(Link also gets the Master Cycle)
    What are it's feats? One direct hit from an Ancient Arrow can one shot a Guardian. Several of Link's bows can fire 3 or 5 arrows simultaneously.
    - big_adventure

Spectacular Member

Also, for what it's worth, Link has been portrayed as "King Kong tough" plenty of times and across multiple titles. Not just BoTW. He has many many MANY title feats of getting blasted over the horizon or picking up huge blocks of stone or overpowering giant monsters etc. BoTW is not some huge deviation for the guy.
    If any Link has feats of being blasted over the horizon and surviving outside of Wind Waker, I don't know about them. Even in that game, well, Waker Link is apparently a toonforcer, down to the limitation that it only works when it's funny, because he is nowhere near as tough outside of gags. Picking up huge blocks of stone is done with the aid of power bracelets, which let him pick up heavy objects but don't otherwise make him stronger or tougher. He's restricted to pushing huge blocks without them. I'm not sure what you're referring to with overpowering giant monsters; the closest I can think of are the fights with Dangoro and Fyrus from Twilight Princess, and he's not really beating them in arm wrestling. He heaves Dangoro off of a platform and manages to trip Fyrus, albeit with the aid of iron boots and a magnet floor. Still impressive, though.

I don't think that BotW Link is an outlier, either. Aside from your claim that being attacked by a giant does scratch damage, I can't think of any issues I have with taking gameplay as a guideline.

I still don't think that Link is nigh-invulnerable. My issue with using Hinoxes dealing one-quarter heart of damage as a base line is that it's a pretty big outlier, even in context. While comparing them to keese was an extreme, the fact remains that enemies that use far weaker attacks can still hurt Link. Hinoxes are a very rare enemy, while moblins, bokoblins, and lizalfos are very common. Should we assume that those guys being able to hurt Link is accurate and that the game allowing you to reduce a hinox's attacks to scratch damage is an artifact, or should we assume that Link is actually nigh-invulnerable and the attacks of the enemies he actually faces on a regular basis are not representative of how tough he is supposed to be?

Spectacular Member

What are it's feats? One direct hit from an Ancient Arrow can one shot a Guardian. Several of Link's bows can fire 3 or 5 arrows simultaneously.
    Ancient arrows have some sort of black hole effect. Guardians, which are based off of the same technology, can resist it if they aren't hit in the eye, but anything small enough to get sucked in seems to be hosed.

Unless Batman starts in the batmobile, I don't think it's going to matter, though. Batman is really good at dodging and ancient arrow don't have much of an area of effect, so I think that Link would be better off using the bomb arrow for their blast radius.

Batman's best bet is to get in close, at which point it comes down to speed. Link's reflexes are actually mentioned, specifically the way time seems to slow down when he lines up a shot, so... I'm not sure which of them is faster. Even if Batman has the speed edge, Link does have the champion's powers, so he's also got limited access to a forcefield, lightning, and a healing power. And the updraft, but that sounds more like a hindrance than a help in this situation.

You make some good arguments. My phone is nearly out of juice, but I'm looking forward to continuing this. =)
    - big_adventure