Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batman vs. Link

Extraordinary Member

Default Batman vs. Link

It's a battle of the Gadgeteers!

Batman, specifically the version from the Arkham Video Game series, takes on Link, specifically the version from Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild.

Both have a full arsenal of Gear, which one will win?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

*Minimal damage from falling in lava* is better than anything I remember seeing Arkham Batman take.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Haven't played Arkham.

Link can get smashed over the head by a 50 ton monster using a tree as a club and only lose 1/4 of 1 heart. Batman got anything that can seriously hurt him?

Link can also freeze Batman (very briefly) in time.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I'm wondering if Batman could theoretically hack the Sheikah Slate, or at least cause it to short circuit, if he had the time to give it a shot.

Spectacular Member

I don't think that the Sheikah Slate runs on electricity. Batman hacking it seems pretty damn unlikely.

I think that people are giving kind of a lot of weight to BotW's gameplay, when it comes to durability. I mean, a small bat monster still takes off a quarter heart of damage, and having the bat and the giant with a club deal the same amount of damage is pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    I don't think that the Sheikah Slate runs on electricity. Batman hacking it seems pretty damn unlikely.

I think that people are giving kind of a lot of weight to BotW's gameplay, when it comes to durability. I mean, a small bat monster still takes off a quarter heart of damage, and having the bat and the giant with a club deal the same amount of damage is pretty ridiculous.
    That's because of game mechanics. The coding CANT accept percentages of hearts less then 1/4 and it CANT accept 0 damage values. So it's stuck.

By the end, giant monster tree smash, guardian laser and giant fireball AoE's only do around 1 to 1/4 hearts depending on gear or potions.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    That's because of game mechanics. The coding CANT accept percentages of hearts less then 1/4 and it CANT accept 0 damage values. So it's stuck.

By the end, giant monster tree smash, guardian laser and giant fireball AoE's only do around 1 to 1/4 hearts depending on gear or potions.
    I would assume potion inhancements aren't on by default

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    I would assume potion inhancements aren't on by default
    No, but with a "full arsenal of gear" available, he really only needs a brief moment to throw something in his mouth
    - big_adventure

Spectacular Member

Yes? The point is that you're leaning really hard on game mechanics. Why should we take Link becoming nigh-invulnerable as anything more than a gameplay thing? Are you really taking them that literally, in which case exploiting gameplay mechanics becomes a valid tactic because that's the kind of fight it is.

Given that BotW Link doesn't face tank everything he encounters in the story, I'm disinclined to spot him the insanely high durability that he can get in gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallman View Post
    Yes? The point is that you're leaning really hard on game mechanics. Why should we take Link becoming nigh-invulnerable as anything more than a gameplay thing? Are you really taking them that literally, in which case exploiting gameplay mechanics becomes a valid tactic because that's the kind of fight it is.

Given that BotW Link doesn't face tank everything he encounters in the story, I'm disinclined to spot him the insanely high durability that he can get in gameplay.
    The point is, these same attacks drain huge quantities of his hearts when he is near naked without potions. But they STILL dont kill him. When fully geared up, near fatal explosions and so on are reduced to "meh whatever" status. It's only screwy if you try too hard to discredit the presentation of the thing by going "but bats still huuurt!"
    - big_adventure

The point is, these same attacks drain huge quantities of his hearts when he is near naked without potions. But they STILL dont kill him. When fully geared up, near fatal explosions and so on are reduced to "meh whatever" status. It's only screwy if you try too hard to discredit the presentation of the thing by going "but bats still huuurt!"
    Never trust a naked man. They've already lost everything.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Never trust a naked man. They've already lost everything.
    I mean, Link does in fact start the game off naked after having lost everything. Including his memories!
    - big_adventure

I mean, Link does in fact start the game off naked after having lost everything. Including his memories!
    Like I said.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member

The last thing Batman hears is 'Hyeugh-ha!'

Spectacular Member

There's a difference between gear providing protection and making him borderline invulnerable.

I'm disinclined to believe that Link is tough enough to basically ignore being hit with a tree trunk by a giant outside of gameplay mechanics. He's generally presented tough, but tough by human standards, not taking shots from King Kong tough.

If you have some evidence that Link actually is borderline invulnerable outside of gameplay mechanics, what is it?