Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spider-man/Red Sonja question

I was just wondering if the 2007 (?) mini series by Marvel and Dynamite was any good? I wasn't aware it existed until I was looking up Red back issues on mycomicshop.

I was also wondering if it's treated as being in continuity with the MU and the original Spidey/Sonja meet up? Does Spidey acknowledge that they've met before? Is she inhabiting MJs body again?

Fill me in so I can decide whether to pick this up or not. 😄

too bad that Marvel doesn't own the character. It would have been nice to see a mini series where Sonja stayed in the 616 Earth, and she and Peter dated for a good while.

Yeah, especially now that Conan is back with Marvel. Gonna miss them teaming up every once in a while.

But about my original post....

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    too bad that Marvel doesn't own the character. It would have been nice to see a mini series where Sonja stayed in the 616 Earth, and she and Peter dated for a good while.
    Didn't Marvel own the Red Sonja rights in the past? I thought there was a team-up book with Spidey where she appeared?

Is anybody going to answer my question? Lol

Yes, Marvel used to have the rights to Red Sonja. Dynamite has them now.

Yes, there was, I believe, an issue of Marvel Team-Up (could be wrong about which title it was in) where Spidey and Sonja teamed up. And then they had a mini series by Marvel and Dynamite in 07.

Which leads back around to MY questions. Lol
    Last edited by FrogMan; 08-18-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Didn't Marvel own the Red Sonja rights in the past? I thought there was a team-up book with Spidey where she appeared?
    She actually debuted in Marvel's Conan books. It's odd that she ended up becoming a separate franchise.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It's a fun little story. Nothing that will blow your mind, but a average team-up between two unlikely heroes from very different settings.

Yes, it's treated as canon and they acknowledge the previous story. In fact, the trade reprinted that Marvel Team-Up story alongside the mini.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

It's pretty good. You get to see several of Spider-Man's villains don a more mythical/primordial look for the story, including the Hobgoblin who in fact is made to look very similar to the demon-era Macendale design.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Cool, thanks, Spider-Chan and Venomous. I'll add it to my order.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    Is anybody going to answer my question? Lol

Yes, Marvel used to have the rights to Red Sonja. Dynamite has them now.

Yes, there was, I believe, an issue of Marvel Team-Up (could be wrong about which title it was in) where Spidey and Sonja teamed up. And then they had a mini series by Marvel and Dynamite in 07.

Which leads back around to MY questions. Lol
    No, you are correct. Marvel Team-Up #79 was where Spidey & Red Sonja first got together:
    Last edited by K7P5V; 08-18-2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    I was just wondering if the 2007 (?) mini series by Marvel and Dynamite was any good? I wasn't aware it existed until I was looking up Red back issues on mycomicshop.

I was also wondering if it's treated as being in continuity with the MU and the original Spidey/Sonja meet up? Does Spidey acknowledge that they've met before? Is she inhabiting MJs body again?

Fill me in so I can decide whether to pick this up or not. ��
    No, it is not in continuity, until / unless there is actually ever a later issue of in-continuity Marvel that aknowledges it happened.

However, it was purely just a fun little crossover experiment, just like the Batman / TMNTs, or in the past, Superman / Spider-Man, Spider-Man / Batman, or X-Men / New Teen Titans.

of course, Marvel's heroes, perhaps due to legal-ness of copyrights, cannot reference adventures with opposite-company-characters. Well, Disney characters, possibly, since they are all in the same conglomerate now, but Spidey cannot say "Hey, my adventure with Red Sonja, Batman, Superman", sincerely....but can if purely a nonsensical joke, as if DC & Dynamite are fictional to Marvel like they are fictional to us, maybe, but not sincerely as if it happened.

Just because it did not have any further effects after the storyline was over, does not mean you cannot enjoy it. I still find the crossovers I've read fun.

Up to you to choose whether you can enjoy it or not, you could even still add them to your own continuity head-cannon.
    Last edited by ngroove; 08-18-2019 at 08:41 PM.

I look at continuity differently. Something is canon to me unless otherwise contradicted somewhere else. Sounds like their meeting in MTU is referenced, so as far as I'm concerned, this story takes place in the MU until otherwise stated.

I was kind of interesting in checking it out because the idea sounds so crazy, but now finding out it was written by Michael Avon Oeming (co-creator of Powers) has me REALLY wanting to read it now.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I was kind of interesting in checking it out because the idea sounds so crazy, but now finding out it was written by Michael Avon Oeming (co-creator of Powers) has me REALLY wanting to read it now.
    You and FrogMan both should read it. It's a very fun book . . . and Michael Avon Oeming also did Omega Flight, the post-Civil War series (which included Julia "Arachne" Carpenter as one of the members), for Marvel.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I feel the same way. I know many won't agree, but I still have a soft spot for Oeming's Bastard Samurai.