Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default Masters of the Universe: Revelation from Kevin Smith and Netflix

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/kev...es-1203305649/

This new show will pick up where the 80s show left off.

So Kevin Smith is focusing on Animation now. Saw mArc Bernadrin listed as a writer so this is the project they werent allowed to talk about.
    Excited for his Howard the duck aswell

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Not terribly interested in a MOTU that picks up the continuity of the '80s series. There isn't much worth continuing on from that isn't within the core concept alone. Historically it has done better with full reboots, or continuations that treat any canon from the original series very loosely.

Kevin Smith isn't exactly a selling point either. I respect the man as a person, and his work initiative is unquestionable. I just don't care for his serialized story-telling, and have never found his talents as a comedian to be all that strong. The man can direct, and he brings a lot of hilarious people to his projects however.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Not terribly interested in a MOTU that picks up the continuity of the '80s series. There isn't much worth continuing on from that isn't within the core concept alone. Historically it has done better with full reboots, or continuations that treat any canon from the original series very loosely.

Kevin Smith isn't exactly a selling point either. I respect the man as a person, and his work initiative is unquestionable. I just don't care for his serialized story-telling, and have never found his talents as a comedian to be all that strong. The man can direct, and he brings a lot of hilarious people to his projects however.
    I was thinking the same thing, I'm a big fan of the original series and I own it all on DVD(as well as the complete 2000's series) but I'm left wondering what Smith means about tying up loose ends. The original series, like most 80's cartoons, was very episodic and outside a cool vehicle, weapon or new character almost nothing carried on from one episode to another plot wise. I mean sure, we never saw the final show down between He-Man and Skelitor but who really expects to see that?

As for Smith as a serialized writer I mostly agree, but I recently re-read his Daredevil and found that to be pretty excellent so if we got that Smith it'd be decent but I suppose that's not really a huge deal as his role seems more of a steward than writer.

Astonishing Member

I know they will want to keep She-Ra and this separate most likely. But, if Masters continues where the original left off Id honestly like him to mention his sister at least. I always enjoyed their teamups. And I felt adding the Horde backstory to Skeletor gave him more depth as well.

Is it too much to hope for Cam Clarke reprising He-Man in this?

So I guess new adventures of he-man and he-ro son of he-man (with he-man and teela's son) will be ignored.

I'm fine with a "3rd season" of the 80s cartoon but it needs to stay a "family" cartoon. Kevin smith has me worried about that. I don't want blood and man at arms getting killed and cursing. If they do that I won't watch it.

I wonder if the animation will be like this commercial?

I feel the the opposite. Why hes will never admit to it Kevin Smith is a stand up comic. He might not write jokes with a punch line but the man can tell a story and have a theater full of people dying laughing and captivated the entire time. It's one of the hardest things to do in entertainment. But what's funny is Subjective. While hes no Pryor or Eddie Murphy. I find Kevin Smith to be hilarious.

But yea Look like Kevin Smith is the showrunner and Marc Bernaedin and some other people are writing the story. This could be cool but like I said before I'm more excited for Kevin's Howard the Duck show for Hulu

Ultimate Member

Quoted in agreement.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    So I guess new adventures of he-man and he-ro son of he-man (with he-man and teela's son) will be ignored.

I'm fine with a "3rd season" of the 80s cartoon but it needs to stay a "family" cartoon. Kevin smith has me worried about that. I don't want blood and man at arms getting killed and cursing. If they do that I won't watch it.

I wonder if the animation will be like this commercial?

I would love a little wink to that New Adventures show , like maybe have both He-Man and Skeletor arrive back on Eternia (months later) after being away awhile and both discovering some changes have happened after the trip into the future. But yeah a classic style He-Man series sounds pretty awesome.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

how do people still get excited for Kevin Smith? hasn't he made enough poor quality films to disqualify him as an industry dude to watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    how do people still get excited for Kevin Smith? hasn't he made enough poor quality films to disqualify him as an industry dude to watch?
    His film work doesn't really mean anything towards Geek stuff besides he has enough good stuff under his belt not to be too worried about it. He is just overseeing it is not like he is writing the project which where his stuff goes bad. These are the people to pay attention to

Mattel Television is producing alongside executive producer Rob David, the vice president of Mattel TV and author of “He-Man: the Eternity War.” Writers include Eric Carrasco (“Supergirl”), Tim Sheridan (“Reign of the Supermen”), Diya Mishra (“Magic the Gathering”) and Marc Bernardin (“Alphas”). “Castlevania’s” Powerhouse Animation will oversee animation for the series.
    All I need to see was "Castlevania" animation team I was sold. It is not like He-Man needs some complex story

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, I'm a big fan of the original series and I own it all on DVD(as well as the complete 2000's series) but I'm left wondering what Smith means about tying up loose ends. The original series, like most 80's cartoons, was very episodic and outside a cool vehicle, weapon or new character almost nothing carried on from one episode to another plot wise. I mean sure, we never saw the final show down between He-Man and Skelitor but who really expects to see that?
    The biggest one Teela never found out the Sorceress was her mother in this continuity. (She did in the comics and later series I think)

Queen Marlena never really got resolution or follow up that she was from our Earth.

The She-Ra universe sets up a multiverse, so there's room for team-ups later if one of the other shows needs it.

Kinda sad they won't cross paths ... and not much of a fan of the old series continuity or Smith. " The most metal designs" has me hopeful, though! Netflix has done a good job with their kids 'toons as a of late, so I'll give this one a chance.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

...what "unresolved storylines", other than Teela never learning Sorceress was her mother?

I mean it's He-Man so I'm watching it, but that "hook" seems kind of odd to me. Unless they really mean stuff like "ever wonder what Zodak's deal was?" Or "ever notice whenever Clawful appeared he was opposite Orko? What's their beef?" stuff like that.

Looking forward to the toys, though. Articulation!