Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Conservative/Republican characters in movies/shows...

I always wonder why in shows and movies that the flagship President or Senator that you're supposed to root for is always a Democrat. In a show like Designated Survivor, Keifer Sutherland's character is a Democrat. In a show like The West Wing, Jed Bartlet is a Democrat. Now as a conservative viewer myself, I watch Designated Survivor and want to watch the West Wing. I'm not that stingy or close minded. They're good shows. But I feel like with a political show if you want to show proper balance I think the show runners should hire a writing staff with both conservatives and liberals. But when you have Aaron Sorkin, who's as left leaning as it gets write for conservative characters that are self serving, evil conniving characters, that's not really balanced. That shows a bias. DS also has a Republican Congresswoman who in the first episode is seen as being in solidarity with Tom Kirkman, but in the next episode is seen as self serving and backstabbing. But I guess it's easier to have movies like The Post and All the President's Men where the newspapermen are seen as the underdogs getting their voice trampled on, and President Nixon is seen as evil. If Bob Woodward and Leonard Bernstein were written as conservatives, I doubt Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman would have taken the parts. All I'm saying is they need to have balance with their liberal and conservative characters instead of writing the conservative characters as cartoon characters and their liberal characters as always in the right.

Maybe they would if the real ones stopped acting like cartoon villains.

You could create a fictional world (plenty to choose from in the CW DC multiverse) where the Republicans are more or less what they were in the Eisenhower era with a similar president or even the Bush, Sr. era. But, in an era where Republicans are dead set on racial gerrymandering, tax cuts for the wealthy and a president who is almost literally a cartoon character, it's kind of hard to see them as the heroes. Now, it would be fair to have a Bill Clinton style president who sexually harasses women and portray him as the villain. But the thing is, Woodward and Bernstein were the heroes and Nixon was a criminal regardless of what Redford and Hoffman might have done were it reversed and it was a Democrat.

But with democrats fighting for social security, the poor and minorities while Republicans want to build walls, play on ethnic bigotry for votes and defund SS, it's just absurd to say, "Well, in the interests of fairness, we must show both sides." Yeah, well, "both sides" just doesn't work. I'm sorry but the Reverse Flash, the Weather Wizard and Zoom are not the good guys and some "equal time " concept where everybody gets to be the good guys 50% of the time no matter what they actually do just doesn't work.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I always wonder why in shows and movies that the flagship President or Senator that you're supposed to root for is always a Democrat. In a show like Designated Survivor, Keifer Sutherland's character is a Democrat. In a show like The West Wing, Jed Bartlet is a Democrat. Now as a conservative viewer myself, I watch Designated Survivor and want to watch the West Wing. I'm not that stingy or close minded. They're good shows. But I feel like with a political show if you want to show proper balance I think the show runners should hire a writing staff with both conservatives and liberals. But when you have Aaron Sorkin, who's as left leaning as it gets write for conservative characters that are self serving, evil conniving characters, that's not really balanced. That shows a bias. DS also has a Republican Congresswoman who in the first episode is seen as being in solidarity with Tom Kirkman, but in the next episode is seen as self serving and backstabbing. But I guess it's easier to have movies like The Post and All the President's Men where the newspapermen are seen as the underdogs getting their voice trampled on, and President Nixon is seen as evil. If Bob Woodward and Leonard Bernstein were written as conservatives, I doubt Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman would have taken the parts. All I'm saying is they need to have balance with their liberal and conservative characters instead of writing the conservative characters as cartoon characters and their liberal characters as always in the right.
    First of all, it was Carl Bernstein. Leonard Bernstein was a composer. Secondly, All of the President's Men was a true story. Did you want them to rewrite history just so you could see conservatives as heroes instead of villains? And finally, if you want to watch a movie with conservative heroes, go watch one of those Kirk Cameron produced "Left Behind" films. I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy it.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    You could create a fictional world (plenty to choose from in the CW DC multiverse) where the Republicans are more or less what they were in the Eisenhower era with a similar president or even the Bush, Sr. era. But, in an era where Republicans are dead set on racial gerrymandering, tax cuts for the wealthy and a president who is almost literally a cartoon character, it's kind of hard to see them as the heroes. Now, it would be fair to have a Bill Clinton style president who sexually harasses women and portray him as the villain. But the thing is, Woodward and Bernstein were the heroes and Nixon was a criminal regardless of what Redford and Hoffman might have done were it reversed and it was a Democrat.

But with democrats fighting for social security, the poor and minorities while Republicans want to build walls, play on ethnic bigotry for votes and defund SS, it's just absurd to say, "Well, in the interests of fairness, we must show both sides." Yeah, well, "both sides" just doesn't work. I'm sorry but the Reverse Flash, the Weather Wizard and Zoom are not the good guys and some "equal time " concept where everybody gets to be the good guys 50% of the time no matter what they actually do just doesn't work.
    Yeah, I could not agree more. Conservatives have pulled so far right, and complicit in a presidency worse than any that's come before, I just can't see them as heroes

Mighty Member

Ok, so basically I'm being told "shut up, conservatism is wrong, liberalism is the way to go". all because of where certain Republicans stand? Democrats have been accused of doing duplicitous things as well. But that's another issue. Just as every Democrat doesn't think alike, not all Republicans think alike as well. All, I'm saying is the show runners shouldn't pick a particular conservative politician that they see as racist, a bigot and only serves the wealthy and then write a character on a show based on that to portray that as the reality of what Republicans actually are. I'm just saying fair and balanced. I don't sew why if you support a certain conservative issue that makes you in the wrong, or why it shouldn't be portrayed fairly on a show.

Ultimate Member

Ok, so basically I'm being told "shut up, conservatism is wrong, liberalism is the way to go". all because of where certain Republicans stand? Democrats have been accused of doing duplicitous things as well. But that's another issue. Just as every Democrat doesn't think alike, not all Republicans think alike as well. All, I'm saying is the show runners shouldn't pick a particular conservative politician that they see as racist, a bigot and only serves the wealthy and then write a character on a show based on that to portray that as the reality of what Republicans actually are. I'm just saying fair and balanced. I don't sew why if you support a certain conservative issue that makes you in the wrong, or why it shouldn't be portrayed fairly on a show.
    No one's saying that democrats are saints, but ya know what?

They're freakin' sane.

What modern conservative should they use, pray tell?

The President is a racist bigot who only serves the wealthy, and every Republican supports him. Give an example of a good modern Republican please.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

In the 50s you would have had a chance. Now ? 90% of Republicans are awful or complicit in awful ****. Then theres the simple fact that Conservatism is falling apart on an ideological level because our society is moving faster and faster and they inherently want to slow us down. Plus the whole "Stay as privileged elite" ****.

I don't sew why if you support a certain conservative issue that makes you in the wrong, or why it shouldn't be portrayed fairly on a show.
    Why do you need your political points of view to be validated by a freaking tv show anyway?

Conservatism, sadly, isn't going to disappear just cause it didn't get a shout out in the next reboot of "who's the boss". (with Tony Danza as Angela)

Bree Vanderkamp from Desperate Housewives

Common patterns of movies and tv is to mock conservative Republicans. Which is understandable to an extent, many of them can be hypocrites.Hollywood loves to portray liberals and democrats as the people who are in the long term right, which can sometimes be a delusional fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post

Common patterns of movies and tv is to mock conservative Republicans. Which is understandable to an extent, many of them can be hypocrites.Hollywood loves to portray liberals and democrats as the people who are in the long term right, which can sometimes be a delusional fantasy.
    I mean history will validate them.a hell of a lot more then thec Republicans

Could you define "Fairly..."?

Like, exactly what that would look like in practice?

For instance, this Republican that "Doesn't Think Alike..."

What, exactly, does she/he look like? As for "The Reality Of What Republicans Actually Are...", where is the disconnect(in your opinion)? What is the scenario where supporting a conservative issue is actually in the right, and it's getting a bad rap(if I'm reading what you are saying correctly...)?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post

In actually solid art, it's probably not as simple as you just tried to make it.

One seriously obvious(if a little old...) example sticks out in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    In the 50s you would have had a chance. Now ? 90% of Republicans are awful or complicit in awful ****. Then theres the simple fact that Conservatism is falling apart on an ideological level because our society is moving faster and faster and they inherently want to slow us down. Plus the whole "Stay as privileged elite" ****.
    For older shows there is Family Ties. Alex being a Republican is right out there in front.
    Dark does not mean deep.