Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

I remember Cat Grant as being very much attracted to Clark Kent, for real. Which seemed to be how Marv and Jerry were indicating that this new Clark was a hunky guy that women could legitimately fall for and he wasn't in Superman's shadow. So that's why I thought of her as like Sally Selwyn (or in some ways like Lyla Lerrol). While her nose for gossip made her like Lola Barnett (but there was never any attraction between Lola and Clark).

I don't like that latter day scene from Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. That was beneath them. They were using Cat as a prop to make Clark look good but in a very sexist way. There's no excuse for it--not in the old days and not now--but you would think Johns and Frank would be more aware of these issues than Wolfman and Ordway. Sometimes it seems like most American men are still stuck in the 1950s.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I suspect that was in fact a good indication that Cat was not intended to be a character "in Clark's orbit". Their relationship was not meant to be a personal one (however much Cat might have wished that it would be!). As for the name itself, I assume it was meant to make explicit her feline nature, i.e., a cat on the prowl:

I always liked her as portrayed in that first bit there, with Jimmy. Insanely flirty, good at getting what she wanted by flaunting her body to get it (note: not sleeping around, just...very very flirty). Not every character needs to be morally perfect in how they get things done, and having a sexy woman doing her best Saul Goodman schtick is a lot of fun.

The second one, I like less so. While I much prefer a Cat who dresses certain ways to get a rise out of men, I don't see her as the type who would get implants just to accomplish the same task. I'm 100% fine with implants, and quite like them actually, but Johns' Cat just seemed like a vapid Cougar, using the traditional version of that word. She seemed very hollow and boring. The Cat in that first bit may come off as a bit predatory, but she was also very intelligent. She just had poor taste in men (Clark and Jose aside).
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I always liked her as portrayed in that first bit there, with Jimmy. Insanely flirty, good at getting what she wanted by flaunting her body to get it (note: not sleeping around, just...very very flirty). Not every character needs to be morally perfect in how they get things done, and having a sexy woman doing her best Saul Goodman schtick is a lot of fun.
    I'd be much more pleased with sleeping around than flaunting her body to get things done. Her behavior is unprofessional and would necessarily (IMO) make us take her less serious as professional. Promiscuity is just a personal choice that hurts no one. And she can be a good parent and still be promiscuous - Roy Harper was generally depicted as such. Not that I want her sleep around, but given the choice between the two, that's the road I'd take. Because I want her professionally respected - at least in the sense that everyone knows she's very good at what she does (they don't have to respect the institution of gossip columns or regard it as real journalism/reporting).

If she were acting that way with someone to get gossip it would be one thing, but around the office - not a fan. Also makes her guilty of sexual harassment, and the DP look bad if they put the kibosh on it, at a minimum.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-20-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    While I much prefer a Cat who dresses certain ways to get a rise out of men, I don't see her as the type who would get implants just to accomplish the same task. I'm 100% fine with implants, and quite like them actually
    When Kara first met Cat, we learned that apparently breast implant technology is unknown on Krypton.

Last edited by seismic-2; 08-20-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I'd be much more pleased with sleeping around than flaunting her body to get things done. Her behavior is unprofessional and would necessarily (IMO) make us take her less serious as professional. Promiscuity is just a personal choice that hurts no one. And she can be a good parent and still be promiscuous - Roy Harper was generally depicted as such. Not that I want her sleep around, but given the choice between the two, that's the road I'd take. Because I want her professionally respected - at least in the sense that everyone knows she's very good at what she does (they don't have to respect the institution of gossip columns or regard it as real journalism/reporting).

If she were acting that way with someone to get gossip it would be one thing, but around the office - not a fan. Also makes her guilty of sexual harassment, and the DP look bad if they put the kibosh on it, at a minimum.
    True I suppose. But it's comics, and if the comic book Daily Planet HR department wants to look the other way, who am I to argue

I guess I don't care if she's professionally respected...I did compare her to Saul Goodman, after all, a lawyer who sold snake oil & was dirty to the extreme but was damn good at his job.

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    When Kara first met Cat, we learned that apparently breast implant technology is unknown on Krypton.

As much as I don't like Johns' Cat, I do love that scene lol

Retired

It makes no sense, given Jerry Ordway's Cat Grant already had the same size breasts. So maybe she had breast cancer and had to have a double mastectomy and then elected for breast reconstruction. Now that would have been a worthwhile story to tell. Instead they chose to turn her into a adolescent joke. It's seems awfully judgey to make fun of people when you don't know what their issues could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I remember Cat Grant as being very much attracted to Clark Kent, for real. Which seemed to be how Marv and Jerry were indicating that this new Clark was a hunky guy that women could legitimately fall for and he wasn't in Superman's shadow. So that's why I thought of her as like Sally Selwyn (or in some ways like Lyla Lerrol). While her nose for gossip made her like Lola Barnett (but there was never any attraction between Lola and Clark).

I don't like that latter day scene from Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. That was beneath them. They were using Cat as a prop to make Clark look good but in a very sexist way. There's no excuse for it--not in the old days and not now--but you would think Johns and Frank would be more aware of these issues than Wolfman and Ordway. Sometimes it seems like most American men are still stuck in the 1950s.
    I did like that aspect, that the post Crisis Clark was an attractive man in his own right, which just made sense.
    I like most all versions of Cat, except the Johns version which is just playing her for cheap laughs at her expense.
    Tracy Scoggins' Cat was fun, if a bit cartoonish, but that suited the style of Lois and Clark. Callista Flockheart's Cat seems like a well rounded mature version of the character, who can be appalling on the surface but has hidden depths.
    If anyone remembers the now impossible to find fan made Superman:Last Son of Krypton fan made audio dramas, they did some nice development with Cat after Adam's death and giving her a close friendship (that I thought might grow into something more) with Maggie Sawyer.

I don't know about most of these versions of Cat Grant. But from my very limited knowledge i would pick Cat Grant from the early Post Crisis anyday. She had made a number of mistakes. She was quite a well rounded character. I liked her quite a bit. So, much so that i wouldn't have minded a pairing between Clark and her.

I don't know about the stories which happen later on, but she was a good character imo.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-22-2019 at 08:12 AM.