View Poll Results: Cates on ASM? Dope or Nope, Bro?!

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bro... That would be sick, bro! DOPE!

    18 75.00%
  • Bro... Wack, bro... NOPE!

    6 25.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7,698

    Default Donny Cates Intends to Write Amazing Spider-Man

    7 minutes in

    -Has turned down offers for Spider-Man projects
    -When he writes Spider-Man, it'll be in Amazing Spider-Man
    -"I'm not gonna leave Marvel until I write Amazing Spider-Man, that's just my dream gig, man."
    -Dope Frank Tieri impression
    -Was offered Batman?!?!
    -Has a 5-year plan for that
    -He's the next Thor writer, lol

    Our main character, a socially awkward outcast, gains newfound confidence and arrogance before committing a string of horrid acts. He then wears a fancy suit and proceeds to dance like a maniac to music that isn't actually there playing around him.

  2. #2
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    He's the next Thor writer? That makes plenty of sense and makes me happy!

    As for writing Amazing Spider-Man...I'm down! He was able to revitalize Venom's world and streamline a lot of the bad continuity that character had. I'm thinking he's more than ready for ASM (I just want to see what Spencer does first!)
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    He's the next Thor writer? That makes plenty of sense and makes me happy!
    I haven't listened to the actual interview but I think that Cates was just joking. He may well be the next Thor writer but if it were true, he wouldn't announce it in a random interview. That's a big reveal Marvel would want to make for themselves.

    While I bet Cates would write a cool Thor, given his admiration for Jason Aaron, I suspect it would be way too daunting for Cates to directly follow up Aaron's run.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    As for writing Amazing Spider-Man...I'm down! He was able to revitalize Venom's world and streamline a lot of the bad continuity that character had. I'm thinking he's more than ready for ASM (I just want to see what Spencer does first!)
    Spencer will be around for some time. I expect he has at least five years planned on ASM. More than that would be fine with me!

  4. #4
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I haven't listened to the actual interview but I think that Cates was just joking. He may well be the next Thor writer but if it were true, he wouldn't announce it in a random interview. That's a big reveal Marvel would want to make for themselves.

    While I bet Cates would write a cool Thor, given his admiration for Jason Aaron, I suspect it would be way too daunting for Cates to directly follow up Aaron's run.



    Spencer will be around for some time. I expect he has at least five years planned on ASM. More than that would be fine with me!
    Spencer having five years makes sense, and it looks like his plans are more long-term. So I'm all for seeing how he'll continue to develop Spider-Man's world!
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,546

    Default

    Don't know why he would turn down Spider-Man miniseries though? I mean Dan Slott's first gig was writing Spider-Man/Human Torch. Spencer first came to attention of Spider-Offices with Superior Foes of Spider-Man. If he was busy and so on, that's something. Maybe it's a joke though.

    Writing a second series like Spectacular Spider-Man or FNSM would not guarantee by itself a shot at writing the main title. But a miniseries has generally proven to be a way forward.

    Cates' work has so far tended to the cosmic (his Thanos series, Venom, Dr. Strange), so that might or might not count against him working in Spider-Man. He will have to find a way to work around him being the "cosmic out-there guy" because once you get that tag it sticks. Jim Starlin for instance was also a big fan of Spider-Man but he never got to write Peter because he had this tag as the cosmic guy.

    I hope Spencer continues and so on and so forth. Personally I'd want someone like say Jody Houser to get a shot.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-19-2019 at 07:18 AM.

  6. #6
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Don't know why he would turn down Spider-Man miniseries though? I mean Dan Slott's first gig was writing Spider-Man/Human Torch. Spencer first came to attention of Spider-Offices with Superior Foes of Spider-Man. If he was busy and so on, that's something. Maybe it's a joke though.

    Writing a second series like Spectacular Spider-Man or FNSM would not guarantee by itself a shot at writing the main title. But a miniseries has generally proven to be a way forward.

    Cates' work has so far tended to the cosmic (his Thanos series, Venom, Dr. Strange), so that might or might not count against him working in Spider-Man. He will have to find a way to work around him being the "cosmic out-there guy" because once you get that tag it sticks. Jim Starlin for instance was also a big fan of Spider-Man but he never got to write Peter because he had this tag as the cosmic guy.

    I hope Spencer continues and so on and so forth. Personally I'd want someone like say Jody Houser to get a shot.
    I think what Cates said is that he doesn’t plan on writing any series starring Spider-Man unless he gets Amazing. Spencer did the same thing writing foes but not including Spider-Man other than cameos. Cates is doing the same thing, writing venom and only using Spider-Man very conservatively.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectal View Post
    Spencer did the same thing writing foes but not including Spider-Man other than cameos.
    In Superior Foes, it was Ock-in-Peter, so that's probably why Spencer restricted him to cameos. It also works as writing in trade. Like if you read Superior Foes in trade, it works as a standalone and the Spider-Man there not being Peter doesn't come up, so you can read it as Peter as seen from his bad guys perspective.

    Cates is doing the same thing, writing venom and only using Spider-Man very conservatively.
    Spider-Man has a big showing in Absolute carnage #1.

    Fact is ASM is a very competitive title. Whoever writes ASM is guaranteed to have their biggest audience. It's something only few writers will get.

    Imagine if Matt Fraction had that attitude, he only got to write Spider-Man once, but that story is an all-time classic.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-19-2019 at 08:06 AM.

  8. #8
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,654

    Default

    Well, I can appreciate Cates setting his sights high (he doesn't seem like the type of guy who would write a satellite book) but I count Venom as a Spider-Man spinoff .

    Also probably not going to happen anytime soon. I don't even think Spencer is halfway done with his run at this point.

    I did like how he wrote Peter in the recent Absolute Carnage stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In Superior Foes, it was Ock-in-Peter.
    I think the "Peter" Boomerang was supposed to be talking to as part of the framing device. was supposed to be the real Peter. It would explain how well he knows Boomerang.

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    Damn, this would be a trippy book. Cates could do some damage, especially if he's given another another book at the same time.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,103

    *Thumbs Way Up*

    I'm all for this. I love his work on Venom. He has revitalized Eddie Brock's version of Venom, IMO, a character who up until recently I felt had run its course.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-19-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  11. #11
    Incredible Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    779

    Default

    i dont see why not although I have no idea how long spencer is going to write amazing though
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

  12. #12
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    I'd be down for both Cates on Thor and Cates on ASM.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I'd be down for both Cates on Thor and Cates on ASM.
    There is a tradition of ASM writers becoming writers on Thor -- Gerry Conway in the '70s (though not for long), Defalco/Frenz went from a well-regarded run on ASM to a well-regarded run on Thor, and of course JMS.

    But the reverse doesn't happen. Walt Simonson went from Thor to Fantastic Four, Kieron Gillen who among others followed JMS went on to dabble into a bunch of stuff including a run on Iron Man and then X-Men, and who knows what Jason Aaron will do once he steps down.

  14. #14
    Spider-Fan Since '95 WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Never mind
    The Amazing, Spectacular, Sensational Web-Slinger!

  15. #15
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7,698

    Default

    Spencer's rule was that he would not write a single line for Spider-Man until he got ASM, which is why he first wrote one in FCBD 2017 when he knew he had it.
    Our main character, a socially awkward outcast, gains newfound confidence and arrogance before committing a string of horrid acts. He then wears a fancy suit and proceeds to dance like a maniac to music that isn't actually there playing around him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •