View Poll Results: Cates on ASM? Dope or Nope, Bro?!

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bro... That would be sick, bro! DOPE!

18 75.00%
  • Bro... Wack, bro... NOPE!

6 25.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spencer's rule was that he would not write a single line for Spider-Man until he got ASM, which is why he first wrote one in FCBD 2017 when he knew he had it.
    Most likely, Spencer is exaggerating and joking and converting a fact of circumstance (him not getting to write Peter Parker much) into a fact of intent. If some other writer got ASM, I am sure Spencer would have buckled and adjusted, like you do. That kind of attitude isn't realistic. If Zdarsky had that attitude we would never have gotten My Dinner with Jonah, which is better than every Slott issue combined.

It's certainly true that there have only been two writers (Roger Stern and David Michelinie) who started on satellite titles and went on to do ASM. You could add PAD and JMD who wrote second series titles and did a lot of fill-in issues on the main title. So there seems to be in the industry a sense that writing satellite titles and so on is a "death sentence" to doing the main title.

Usually, when someone's favorite character is Spider-Man, they find a way to write him very quickly in case they're out the door soon, which is true for every other modern writer, but Spencer kept the faith and wrote 150 whole ass issues of Marvel comics before Peter said a peep. He also first spoke about the rule in 2016 (at 3:00), before he got the job, and then brought it up recently on the Marvel podcast to promote Hunted.

The curse of the satellites may be real, as Slott after BND was bargaining for Avenging Spider-Man so he could stay in the universe, Wacker shut him down to his disappointment, and then immediately said it was because he wanted him on Amazing.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If Zdarsky had that attitude we would never have gotten My Dinner with Jonah, which is better than every Slott issue combined.
    Yeesh... people really like to hate on Slott here, don't they?
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

Usually, when someone's favorite character is Spider-Man, they find a way to write him very quickly in case they're out the door soon, which is true for every other modern writer, but Spencer kept the faith and wrote 150 whole ass issues of Marvel comics before Peter said a peep.
    Spencer's young and ambitious, Cates is younger and maybe more ambitious, so it works for them, I guess.

Until Michelinie the trend in Spider-Man was for shorter runs. With Michelinie, JMS, Slott, while in-between you had writers working as part of teams (Clone Saga, Post-Clone Saga, BND).

So I tend to think that with longer runs on Spider-Man there's less of a chance for other writers to get to write ASM. And with that, I think there's more avenue to miss out on bringing other voices to Spider-Man. Part of the reason why the JMS era is so rich is that it wasn't just JMS you had Paul Jenkins, you had Mark Millar, you had Aguirre-Sacassia, you had Peter David, Fraction in that one issue, Bendis in The Pulse and New Avengers, all backing up his run and status-quo. So you have a real diversity of voices.

Whereas in the Slott era until very late in the run, you had less of that. Ed Brubaker for instance wanted to write Spider-Man but all he ever managed was a What If comic with Spider-Man. Partly that was because Slott took so long, but partly because there was no real incentive to bring him in to write there.

I'm ALL FOR Cates jumping onto Amazing following Spencer, he's someone who can keep up the consistent quality, while also able to take it in a completely different and trippy direction. He's already shown to get the voice really well in Absolute Carnage, so would love to see what else he can do in that world.

Plus you can also easily see why Cates would go for this ultimatum for himself, he is one of Marvel's biggest writers at the moment, he's got the clout and the metaphorical chips to wait until the right time to jump onto Amazing, especially after the success of Venom.

I've been predicting that Spencer will be going for at least 4 years, which will get him to 100 issues, and Cates has said his plans for Venom go up to at least 50 issues, which would be around the same time, so ya never know.

BANNED

If Zdarsky had that attitude we would never have gotten My Dinner with Jonah, which is better than every Slott issue combined.
    D'zarsky himself would surely laugh heartily at the sheer absurdity of that statement.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    D'zarsky himself...
    It's Zdarsky. Z before d, no hyphen. Pronounced either as Starsky with a z and d, or Zuh-darsky. Alternatively you can call him Steve Murray, which happens to be his real name. Zdarsky was his online avatar when he posted on the now defunct Warren Ellis Forums.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-19-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Mighty Member

Cates is a fantastic writer imo. I'd be all for him writing Amazing. He does tend towards the cosmic sometimes but he manages to balance it with a lot of smaller character work also. Take "God Country"... he was using Norse mythology through the Marvel Asgardian lens, it had big universal stuff but it was also a heartbreaking look at family, age and the shift from being protector and provider to being protected and provided for. "Buzz Kill" had huge superhero action but heavily focused on personal drama. Same with "Redneck" having supernatural settings but really being about family, legacy and shared history. Then he has stuff like "Ghost Fleet" which is mostly straight action, or "Interceptor" which is mecha-vampire craziness.

Long story short, I love Cates and think he could do a great job on "Amazing".
    But I'm also really liking Spencer and want him to get to tell his story. So no rush.

BANNED

It's Zdarsky. Z before d, no hyphen. Pronounced either as Starsky with a z and d, or Zuh-darsky. Alternatively you can call him Steve Murray, which happens to be his real name. Zdarsky was his online avatar when he posted on the now defunct Warren Ellis Forums.
    I'm sure Zdarsky or Steve - or whatever anyone cares to call him - would laugh heartily at the earnest tutorial on his name.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'd be down. As for Nick Spencer and his self-imposed rule, was that why Peter Parker barely had anything to do outside his series' tie-in to Secret Empire?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'd be down. As for Nick Spencer and his self-imposed rule, was that why Peter Parker barely had anything to do outside his series' tie-in to Secret Empire?
    Secret Empire was an event that Marvel really wanted ASM to tie-in to, so Peter's role in it had to work around the established Otto Industries climax. The panel with him, Ant-Man, and Yellowjacket is still godlike, though. I hope he writes Peter and Scott together for a full story at some point.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Most likely a host of factors, whether Slott wanted Peter involved in it, what his plans were, and stuff like that. Peter owning a business and so on might also create issues with Hydra Cap. Since either Parker Industries opposes Hydra and gets taken down, or Parker Industries supports Hydra which...yeah, not something that works out.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Secret Empire was an event that Marvel really wanted ASM to tie-in to, so Peter's role in it had to work around the established Otto Industries climax. The panel with him, Ant-Man, and Yellowjacket is still godlike, though. I hope he writes Peter and Scott together for a full story at some point.
    Same.

Most likely a host of factors, whether Slott wanted Peter involved in it, what his plans were, and stuff like that. Peter owning a business and so on might also create issues with Hydra Cap. Since either Parker Industries opposes Hydra and gets taken down, or Parker Industries supports Hydra which...yeah, not something that works out.
    Point taken.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

So in that video above, Cates talked about he and Stegman doing a podcast with Quesada.

That's online here: https://www.podbean.com/site/Episode.../PBBBDDFAP75P3 (Check out the top one).

Most of it is Quesada talking retrospectively about his work as an artist, editor and so on. The relevant stuff though is 01:16:00.

In that one, Cates gets into an on-mike debate that leads Quesada give a stern talking to.

When Spencer is ready to step down, I would be all for Cates taking over. Those guys are two of my favorite modern writers with Zdarsky high on that list as well.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!