View Poll Results: Cates on ASM? Dope or Nope, Bro?!

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bro... That would be sick, bro! DOPE!

    18 75.00%
  • Bro... Wack, bro... NOPE!

    6 25.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
  1. #31

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member whiteshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Dunno.
    I have not read much of Cates stories before but from what i read i would be woried if the writing would be similiar to Venom,because in the Venom stories, Donny Cates addīs a new mithology and history to the symbiotes,something that in the Venom stories was fine and have been a great ongoing comic book series.
    But thatīs because in the Venom stories due the lack of those very same history not having being developed at all,or just much sparsely as in stories as Planet of the Symbiotes.
    But with the Spider-Man stories the essential and best stories were right from the beggining from the Stan Lee and Steve Dikto and John Romita Sr,so that would be my concern if Donny Cates wrote Amazing Spider-Man.Having said that it does not mean that the stories by Donny Cates in Amazing Spider-Man would have to be similiar to the Venom stories but if Cates take in ASM was similiar to the Venom series that would be something that i would not be a fan of.

  3. #33
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spencer's rule was that he would not write a single line for Spider-Man until he got ASM, which is why he first wrote one in FCBD 2017 when he knew he had it.
    Does that last issue of Secret Empire where he got one line in not count? Or was he already scripting Spider-Man stuff by then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Usually, when someone's favorite character is Spider-Man, they find a way to write him very quickly in case they're out the door soon, which is true for every other modern writer, but Spencer kept the faith and wrote 150 whole ass issues of Marvel comics before Peter said a peep. He also first spoke about the rule in 2016 (at 3:00), before he got the job, and then brought it up recently on the Marvel podcast to promote Hunted.
    Can you think of some direct examples?
    The curse of the satellites may be real, as Slott after BND was bargaining for Avenging Spider-Man so he could stay in the universe, Wacker shut him down to his disappointment, and then immediately said it was because he wanted him on Amazing.
    I could totally see Slott bargaining for the team-up book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Whereas in the Slott era until very late in the run, you had less of that. Ed Brubaker for instance wanted to write Spider-Man but all he ever managed was a What If comic with Spider-Man. Partly that was because Slott took so long, but partly because there was no real incentive to bring him in to write there.
    Brubaker on Spider-Man would've been a trip. We might've gotten a neo noir-esque take on Spider-Man and his world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I'm ALL FOR Cates jumping onto Amazing following Spencer, he's someone who can keep up the consistent quality, while also able to take it in a completely different and trippy direction. He's already shown to get the voice really well in Absolute Carnage, so would love to see what else he can do in that world..
    It would be interesting seeing Cates on a more street-level, traditional, hero character, but I think it's a positive that he feels it would be a passion project for him, so it would probably end up better then, say, Death of the Inhumans did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Secret Empire was an event that Marvel really wanted ASM to tie-in to, so Peter's role in it had to work around the established Otto Industries climax. The panel with him, Ant-Man, and Yellowjacket is still godlike, though. I hope he writes Peter and Scott together for a full story at some point.
    Remember when he was front-and-center for the initial Secret Empire promotional stuff :?

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Brubaker on Spider-Man would've been a trip. We might've gotten a neo noir-esque take on Spider-Man and his world.
    Have you read The Last of the Innocents his dark take on the Archie genre. Considering that Spider-Man has always been inspired by Archie, and so on, I think a lighter, softer version of that would be there. A lot of focus I think on class issues which is what Last of the Innocents was so focused on.

  5. #35
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Have you read The Last of the Innocents his dark take on the Archie genre. Considering that Spider-Man has always been inspired by Archie, and so on, I think a lighter, softer version of that would be there. A lot of focus I think on class issues which is what Last of the Innocents was so focused on.
    Hmm, that would be interesting to read, though I'm thinking a neo-noir take on Spider-Man might be more along the lines of "tech-noir," a hybrid genre of science fiction and noir fiction in a similar vein to the original Blade Runner, which was actually set in this year (2019). How time flies . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, that would be interesting to read, though I'm thinking a neo-noir take on Spider-Man might be more along the lines of "tech-noir," a hybrid genre of science fiction and noir fiction in a similar vein to the original Blade Runner, which was actually set in this year (2019). How time flies . . .
    There have been Spider-Man stories with noir elements before.

    In the L-D era you had the Crime-Master 2-Parter. Then in the Lee-Romita era the series of issues from ASM #87 to ASM #92 are noir as is the Drug Trilogy to some extent. ASM #122, the follow-up to Gwen's death is straight up '70s noir, i.e. vigilante stories and so on. PAD's run on Spectacular Spider-Man -- The Death of Jean DeWolff. And JMD's Kraven's Last Hunt.

    I actually think JMS' run was pretty neo-noir. Coming Home especially. Ezekiel and Morlun wouldn't out of place in Cyberpunk settings and that battle with Morlun is pretty dark looking, at night and so on. JMS' run wasn't always noir after that, but Back in Black is of course super-noir...it's like Spider-Man in The Big Heat. Oh and Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man has a bit of 90s thriller edge with Norman as a Lecter and Kevin Spacey in Seven kind of figure. That also applies to Revenge of the Green Goblin and A Death in the Family.

  7. #37
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    There have been Spider-Man stories with noir elements before.

    In the L-D era you had the Crime-Master 2-Parter. Then in the Lee-Romita era the series of issues from ASM #87 to ASM #92 are noir as is the Drug Trilogy to some extent. ASM #122, the follow-up to Gwen's death is straight up '70s noir, i.e. vigilante stories and so on. PAD's run on Spectacular Spider-Man -- The Death of Jean DeWolff. And JMD's Kraven's Last Hunt.

    I actually think JMS' run was pretty neo-noir. Coming Home especially. Ezekiel and Morlun wouldn't out of place in Cyberpunk settings and that battle with Morlun is pretty dark looking, at night and so on. JMS' run wasn't always noir after that, but Back in Black is of course super-noir...it's like Spider-Man in The Big Heat. Oh and Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man has a bit of 90s thriller edge with Norman as a Lecter and Kevin Spacey in Seven kind of figure. That also applies to Revenge of the Green Goblin and A Death in the Family.
    Good points there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  8. #38
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43,689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Have you read The Last of the Innocents his dark take on the Archie genre. Considering that Spider-Man has always been inspired by Archie, and so on, I think a lighter, softer version of that would be there. A lot of focus I think on class issues which is what Last of the Innocents was so focused on.
    I was thinking more like his Batman run.

  9. #39
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    I'm honestly still quite pissed at the damp squib that was Peter's tie-in with Secret Empire, especially given how Spider-Man was front and center in the promotional material surrounding the event. Given that Cap is literally Peter's hero, and that Peter for once had the resources and equipment to actually make a major difference in the event, it was quite aggravating to see him do nothing but fight Ock. His only confrontation with Cap was basically off-panel through the beginning of ASM 30 and the end of the FCBD Secret Empire issue. Ugh.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

  10. #40
    Incredible Member Jman27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I'm honestly still quite pissed at the damp squib that was Peter's tie-in with Secret Empire, especially given how Spider-Man was front and center in the promotional material surrounding the event. Given that Cap is literally Peter's hero, and that Peter for once had the resources and equipment to actually make a major difference in the event, it was quite aggravating to see him do nothing but fight Ock. His only confrontation with Cap was basically off-panel through the beginning of ASM 30 and the end of the FCBD Secret Empire issue. Ugh.
    yup i was piss too the promo cover made it seem he could have some contributions to this event instead he had to fight doc ock for the 1000th time. his last major contribution to an event is Secret Wars with Miles
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

  11. #41
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I'm honestly still quite pissed at the damp squib that was Peter's tie-in with Secret Empire, especially given how Spider-Man was front and center in the promotional material surrounding the event. Given that Cap is literally Peter's hero, and that Peter for once had the resources and equipment to actually make a major difference in the event, it was quite aggravating to see him do nothing but fight Ock. His only confrontation with Cap was basically off-panel through the beginning of ASM 30 and the end of the FCBD Secret Empire issue. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    yup i was piss too the promo cover made it seem he could have some contributions to this event instead he had to fight doc ock for the 1000th time. his last major contribution to an event is Secret Wars with Miles
    Generally agreed with you both.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    As it turns out, Donny Cates finally did write Spider-Man in Marvel Comics #1000. He does the one-page "The Route" for 1994. Well done though I think the morbid tack he takes on Peter is off and geographically the point he's trying to get makes no sense.

  13. #43
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    6,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    As it turns out, Donny Cates finally did write Spider-Man in Marvel Comics #1000. He does the one-page "The Route" for 1994. Well done though I think the morbid tack he takes on Peter is off and geographically the point he's trying to get makes no sense.
    I thought it was more psychological than anything that might be substantiated by canon.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    2,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I thought it was more psychological than anything that might be substantiated by canon.
    I get that. But even then it makes no sense. Peter's daily route of swinging going from different places where people he loved died is just bizarre since George Stacy died somewhere in Midtown or Downtown, Gwen Stacy died in the George Washington Bridge and Peter confronted Uncle Ben's burglar in a warehouse by the waterfront, so either the hudson or east river. That's way too apart from each other to make sense as a route.

    It also makes Peter kind of morbid and creepy. This is a story that suits Batman because he broods all the time and he perches on Gotham City (which being fictional can have whatever geography he wishes) and Batman is also a gothic character where that kind of trope, i.e. haunting places of past mistakes and misdeeds works...but it doesn't work with Spider-Man.

    I am not usually one to praise Dan Slott but he did a similar thing in the start of Spider-Island when Mr. and Mrs. Aunt May go to Boston (mostly because Slott didn't want to draw them with spider-powers). And Peter tours the Forest Hills house with MJ showing all kinds of events from the past happening there. I mean if Peter's that haunted by a place where violence happens, he should have moved out of the Forest Hills home decades ago.

  15. #45
    Kinky Lil' Canine Snoop Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7,703

    Default

    the main theme of the route is that peter parker yearns for death
    Our main character, a socially awkward outcast, gains newfound confidence and arrogance before committing a string of horrid acts. He then wears a fancy suit and proceeds to dance like a maniac to music that isn't actually there playing around him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •