Default AoXM Reading Order?

I’ve been reading some of the books I’ve missed since 2014 and I’m a bit sick of Gold (surprise surprise) and need an intermission. Didn’t think I’d ever end up reading AoXM because the summary I saw coupled with posts on here made it sound like a shitshow but I’m actually intrigued by some of the bajillion limited series and by the fact that it seems to be written entirely by new blood. basically morbid curiosity got me

but since there’s so many limiteds i was wondering if i have to read them in any order? Aside from alpha at the start and omega at the end (or vice versa idk) I’m a lil lost puppy. And I guess if anyone knows anything that’ll dissuade me or persuade me even more you can drop those too, up to you. Thanks!!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I’ve been reading some of the books I’ve missed since 2014 and I’m a bit sick of Gold (surprise surprise) and need an intermission. Didn’t think I’d ever end up reading AoXM because the summary I saw coupled with posts on here made it sound like a shitshow but I’m actually intrigued by some of the bajillion limited series and by the fact that it seems to be written entirely by new blood. basically morbid curiosity got me

but since there’s so many limiteds i was wondering if i have to read them in any order? Aside from alpha at the start and omega at the end (or vice versa idk) I’m a lil lost puppy. And I guess if anyone knows anything that’ll dissuade me or persuade me even more you can drop those too, up to you. Thanks!!
    Yup.

I would recommend start with Alpha as expected and just reading each series separately. There are points where each series are supposed to cross-over but the timeline doesn't make sense.
    "Cable was right!"

I would agree, but I would say start with the eXtermination mini so you know what happened to the O5, then go Uncanny X-Men 1-10, then AoX Alpha, then read the first issue of each mini, the second, etc, then Age of Xman Omega (I think that's what it's called).

Wouldn't hurt (or maybe it would depending on who you ask) to read Uncanny 11+ before Omega so you know that those who were left behind and not in X-Man Land were experiencing.

Ick, guess I’ll start with the beginning of Rosenberg’s uncanny. Messed up timelines? Perfect. Won’t even bother doing the mental gymnastics and just enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    Ick, guess I’ll start with the beginning of Rosenberg’s uncanny. Messed up timelines? Perfect. Won’t even bother doing the mental gymnastics and just enjoy the ride
    Yeah Uncanny 1-10 is basically Jean and the crew trying to figure out what's going on in the world as Nate and his "Four Horsemen" show up. Uncanny 11-22ish is when Rosenberg does his whole controversial run with Cyclops and the gang while everyone else is in Nate's pocket reality/dimension/universe/world/planet/microwave oven.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Start by throwing that whole volume of Uncanny X-Men into a dumpster for recyclables.

Don't bother. Save time and money.

Two things:
    1) Every mini can be read on it’s own, which a lot of subtle connectivity between each one.
    2) Uncanny X-Men: Disassembled (#1-10) is the catalyst for this but I don’t recommend torturing yourself. Anyway, here’s the list:
    • Age of X-Man: Alpha
    • Marvelous #1, Nextgen #1, Amazing Nightcrawler #1, X-Tremists #1, Prisoner X #1, X-Tracts #1
    • Marvelous #2, Nextgen #2, Amazing Nightcrawler #2, X-Tremists #2, Prisoner X #2, X-Tracts #2
    • Marvelous #3, Nextgen #3, Amazing Nightcrawler #3, X-Tremists #3, Prisoner X #3, X-Tracts #3
    • Marvelous #4, Nextgen #4, Amazing Nightcrawler #4, X-Tremists #4, Prisoner X #4, X-Tracts #4
    • Marvelous #5, Nextgen #5, Amazing Nightcrawler #5, X-Tremists #5, Prisoner X #5, X-Tracts #5
    • Age of X-Man: Omega

We get it folks, it was an unpopular run. However let the OP form their own opinions. If they enjoy themselves than it's worth their time. If they don't, well then they can join the posse down by the town square with the torches and pitchforks.

It’s really not as bad as everyone made out. Even I initially dismissed it. I don’t agree that timelines are particularly messy either. Some of the minis are weaker than others. its probably not long enough to really worry about how they minimally crossover. Just read them through 1-5. However I would recommend reading the minis in the order that their first issues came out.

I really wouldn’t recommend reading Uncanny. It won’t add anything and it’s frankly terrible. ‘Unrequired reading’ generally. Even eXtermination has very little to add. It almost feels like an unconnected mini that only nominally links into the event.

So if you are just looking for a palette cleanser why read extra. You can catch up with the other surrounding stuff whenever.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Start by throwing that whole volume of Uncanny X-Men into a dumpster for recyclables.
    Oh good someone already posted the correct order.

Tycon gave a good description of the reading order, and maybe yeah don't torture yourself with Uncanny X-Men Disassembled. I'm sure it's been said before but some of these minis are better than others. I did a review on the entire Age of X-Man which might help.

My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir