Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    BANNED

IIRC Bishop being made Aborigine pre-dates Messiah Complex by a number of years. I think Claremont did it to link him to Gateway.

I have always still considered Bishop African-American. His family roots are Aborigine, but IIRC he was raised in the Americas.

What does racism even has to do with this anyway??? Not a damm thing.
    All i see is people wanting to ignore Bishops mistakes hiding behind something that has nothing to do with them.
    Wish we all had that excuse for other characters.

We all have to live with our favorite charaters doing hedious stuff, with them being hated for that.
    Last edited by fsger; 08-22-2019 at 09:39 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fsger View Post
    All i see is people wanting to ignore Bishops mistakes hiding behind something that has nothing to do with them.
    That is the opposite of what people are doing. But acknowledging the character's bad choices does not remove authorial and editorial responsibility in the real world. And IRL, it was deeply tone-deaf to make one of the few prominent black X-characters a deranged villain hunting whites.

So if Bishop was white but did the exact same things it wouldn't be controversial?
    Because that was basically Cable on Deadpool 2 and nobody victimized or cried character assasination for that.
    Last edited by fsger; 08-22-2019 at 09:45 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

So if Bishop was white but did the exact same things it wouldn't be controversial?
    Because that was basically Cable on Deadpool 2 and nobody cried character assasination for that.
    With these people? No. Maybe. lmao.

At least they wouldn't go around dragging the creators through the mud.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    With these people? No. Maybe. lmao.

At least they wouldn't go around dragging the creators through the mud.
    Well if Creators would stop dragging all the minorities through the mud, they wouldn't have these suspicions.

Storm - Wallpaper
    Bishop -Psychopath killing white babies & antagonizing a white family
    Sunspot + Monet = Turned white with the latter being flippantly made Muslim.
    Jubilee - De-powered & vampred out for years.
    Apocalypse = Turned white in human form.

What minority have they done well by in recent years? They've assassinated all of them one way or another.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Everybody is dragged throught the mud and it has nothing to do with their race. Beast killed planets and was portrayed as an hypocrite, Xavier as a shady ******* who manipulated and backstabed everybody and according to some a borderline pedophile, Cyclops as a cheater/terrorist/hittler, Wolverine is a murderer, Hank Pym a wife beater.

BANNED

Firstly, it's character assassination of Bishop no matter what.

But more importantly, yes, the fact is it's different if your favorite characters are white, or if you are a white reader. You may not find that 'fair' or logical, but it's still true. I am white and can see myself in countless characters (though I'm also gay, and can't see that too often either). How many options does a young black man reading X-Men have to identify and find himself, outside of Bishop? What message does it send to readers of color when Bishop is turned into a bloodthirsty villain who is hunting young white females - a racist stereotype that is over a century old? This is not intentional on the part of the X-office, but that doesn't make it any less tacky or regrettable.

You can claim to not see color in these characters. Fine. But color does exist, representation does matter and they are not all created equal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Well if Creators would stop dragging all the minorities through the mud, they wouldn't have this problem. lol

Storm - Wallpaper
    Bishop -Psychopath killing white babies & antagonizing a white family
    Sunspot + Monet = Turned white with the latter being randomly & flippantly made Muslim.
    Jubilee - De-powered & vampred out for years.
    Apocalypse = Turned white in human form.

What minority have they done well by in recent years? They've assassinated all of them one way or another. Then try to play dumb like they didn't know what they did when they get called out on what seems to be a clear racial bias.

I guess if you may not be a minority, it's easy to see no evil & dismiss others as being overly sensitive. But for those on the boat, it's easier to see when it's getting shot down. From the outside looking in, people on the boat are playing victim and the others were shooting at something behind, and just happened to sink it lol
    Monet is from Algeria, so chances of her being Muslim would be 95% anyway. Not sure why her being stated to be Muslim is listed among bad things done to minorities either.

I'm a black man and i think the complete opposite. I'm tired of people saying I have to like or root for a character I don't care just because they are black. That is so racist. Not because I'm black i am going to defend or agree with things i don't like. We don't think all the same, just as white people don't like every white character.

that's why i find so offensive to use the "marvel is racist" excuse for Bishop.

is citing new avengers while not having read new avengers some kind of forum meme
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Okay, and you're absolutely entitled to your feelings. But no one is saying you have to like or root for Bishop. They're just saying they find the optics and choices suspect.

I'm a black man and i think the complete opposite. I'm tired of people saying I have to like or root for a character I don't care just because they are black. That is so racist. Not because I'm black i am going to defend or agree with things i don't like. We don't think all the same, just as white people don't like every white character.

that's why i find so offensive to use the "marvel is racist" excuse for Bishop.
    lol dude no one is saying any of that. i doubt anyone even remembered that you’re black. and purposely ignoring optics just because some white guys did horrible stuff (some you’ve vastly mischaracterized) doesn’t change......the optics. and please, it’s not because you’re black.

BANNED

And to be clear, as I've said I find the fact that they gave that non-explanation for Bishop's return and that the X-Men seem to have shrugged it off to be super dicey, lol. He needs a better redemption arc than that.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Monet is from Algeria, so chances of her being Muslim would be 95% anyway. Not sure why her being stated to be Muslim is listed among bad things done to minorities either.
    Her mother is from Algeria. Monet was born in Bosnia. Then the way PAD introduced it seemed like a cheap gimmick & nothing else. Monet says she must be Muslim because her mother is from Algeria, and most of them are Muslims.

Then she shows no Muslim practices, especially when he introduced this random addition to her character while showing her as an exhibitionist who does nude modelling and keeps her boobs out. Now of course all Muslims don't cover up. Same way all Christians don't wait for marriage to have sex. lol But what was really the point of that addition? It just seems shallow without much behind it.

Then he has cheap dialogue saying she's someone's worst nightmare for being a Muslim mutant with PMS.

What does her Muslim heritage have to do with anything in this scene? Again, comes off like a gimmick so he can say "look we got a Muslim in the books." Especially given the controversy of him whitening her and getting mad when he made her slightly tan, and fans still had objections. Then he dismisses that fans are never happy, even if he made her dark as Storm. Despite the fact she was darker than Storm in some parts of GenX, and nobody had an issue with it.

Kamala seems like a better Muslim representation, and it was always a feature part of her character. Compared to Monet where they just tacked it on 12 years after her conception & she's never shown to be religious before or after it. lol Hell she's died and come back saying there is no Heaven. So I would think she sure as Hell is not religious now and wouldn't identify with a religion. But writers at Marvel & fans hold on tighter to that Muslim retcon than they do with her being a black woman, which was a part of her original conception.

I feel the same way about Claremont randomly making Bishop Aboriginal Australian. Unnecessary.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-22-2019 at 10:25 AM.