Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This makes more sense than having it be Clark. Though I want him to still be the lynchpin to it all, if you're updating Superboy and the Legion, well, he needs to be their inspiration. It makes more sense internally.

Not what I wanted, but not a deal breaker. I'll keep reading, though I am certainly bummed another thing got pulled away from Superman and given to someone else to make their star shine as his loses its lustre.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nah man I don't want to make you eat crow. You were coming at it from a positive angle and still are, and there's nothing wrong with that. You were operating on the knowledge you had at the time while theorizing where it was headed, as we all were.
    But I did it with such conviction lol

You're a very classy winner, Sacred

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't really see this as making or breaking the LoSH relaunch or Jon's new direction.

Though it kinda undercuts where I thought Bendis was going with Superman in general. I have assumed all along that he was trying to reestablish Superman's relevance in the DCU (in universe) and I suppose to an extent this lines up with that. It's still Superman founding the United Planets and he'll be interacting with them. But it does kinda undercut that to have Jon be the one to propose it.
    Well there's still the whole "President of Earth" thing (that I'm now gingerly bringing up as an assured thing lol) for Clark, right? Theoretically that's more immediate, day-today relevance in the DCU. And IF the role at least still holds the job of hammering out deals and such as part of the UP, then he'll be helping to build it. Theoretically coming full circle to when Jor-El was part of the Circle.

I'm still holding out hope that it'll function a lot like President Luthor did in the early 2000s where you'd get a nod to his presidency in other random books outside of the Superman line.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jon is the one called “creator of the United Planets” though. Clark is a total nobody from the LoSH’s perspective, the John the Baptist to Jon’s Jesus (when I said I hated Superman is Jesus takes I didn’t mean this lol!). I was fine with losing the LoSH in exchange for Kal being the one to found the United Planets. But Jon is the one getting the credit for that too, so now Clark gets nothing. Oh Rao I just thought of something awful: What if Clark takes the Presidency just to warm the seat until Jon is ready? Lmao that would be one final kick.
    Yeah! I could see that happening. They came specifically for jon. He is one going down in and making history, not clark.there is also that superman secundus thing.

I think it makes Jon the Bill Finger to Superman's Bob Kane. One's going to get all the present credit where the other won't be appreciated until the future.
    That’s an interesting comparison actually. I wonder how accurate that will turn out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This makes more sense than having it be Clark. Though I want him to still be the lynchpin to it all, if you're updating Superboy and the Legion, well, he needs to be their inspiration. It makes more sense internally.

Not what I wanted, but not a deal breaker. I'll keep reading, though I am certainly bummed another thing got pulled away from Superman and given to someone else to make their star shine as his loses its lustre.
    Who are you pod people?

First Sacred "Jon Kent's number one fan" Knight is surprisingly zen about it, and now you're more or less chill with it? What's next? Ascended outright fist pumping at the idea?

Jokes aside, I gotta respect your level head and overall class when faced with something that's not you're first choice.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-19-2019 at 02:53 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Well there's still the whole "President of Earth" thing (that I'm now gingerly bringing up as an assured thing lol) for Clark, right? Theoretically that's more immediate, day-today relevance in the DCU. And IF the role at least still holds the job of hammering out deals and such as part of the UP, then he'll be helping to build it. Theoretically coming full circle to when Jor-El was part of the Circle.

I'm still holding out hope that it'll function a lot like President Luthor did in the early 2000s where you'd get a nod to his presidency in other random books outside of the Superman line.
    Yeah, Jon basically only came up with the general idea. It still sounds like Superman will be the one actually putting in the work and putting it into practice. Jon's basically Stan Lee. Gonna get all the credit for creating something that Superman is going to put all the work into!

Reis art is still amazing it must be said. Those widescreen shots of the assembled aliens and the LoSH really are gorgeous.

Yeah, Jon basically only came up with the general idea. It still sounds like Superman will be the one actually putting in the work and putting it into practice. Jon's basically Stan Lee. Gonna get all the credit for creating something that Superman is going to put all the work into!
    And honestly, I can get the idea of why a group of specifically super teens from all over the galaxy got inspired by a kid just like them. Seeing yourself in history, ya know? Likely also helps that he's the product of two races.

But yeah, at this juncture it seems like it'll be Clark putting in the actual work to make Jon's simple idea a sustainable reality.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I can't help but think that if Jon was still a kid, the scene would be a lot funnier with all these future people fawning over a ten year old.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jon is the one called “creator of the United Planets” though. Clark is a total nobody from the LoSH’s perspective, the John the Baptist to Jon’s Jesus (when I said I hated Superman is Jesus takes I didn’t mean this lol!). I was fine with losing the LoSH in exchange for Kal being the one to found the United Planets. But Jon is the one getting the credit for that too, so now Clark gets nothing. Oh Rao I just thought of something awful: What if Clark takes the Presidency just to warm the seat until Jon is ready? Lmao that would be one final kick.
    you are taking too much from that one page, the Legion never said Clark was a nobody. I am sure they value Superman a lot as well.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think it makes Jon the Bill Finger to Superman's Bob Kane. One's going to get all the present credit where the other won't be appreciated until the future.
    "Put my name in a cool kinda cursive, Jon. But make it big! Or yours small, I'm flexible."

Honestly I can see why people mention a Scrappy effect, though I think it does require some force to anchor him in these reboot happy decades. Lost interest in seeking an active direction for him with the timeskip, so I'll be easy along the ride.

I like that Bendis in particular has the confident grasp on Superman to turn this into a funny thing. Clark is man enough to let someone else be the man, and he's still the best hero we have now. The other part of the humor besides how he's gonna take it is how this looks after years and years of people ragging on the post crisis era having him as an indirect contributor. Now he's explictly being told he's not the one, haha. Eh, doesn't really ruin the great Johns story even as a sharp contrast.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Someone on twitter as a joke theorized that Leviathan was New 52 Superman. I could go for that right now.
    Best idea for Leviathan's identity ever.

I am down 1000000000000000000000000% for that brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Im not throwing in the towel yet, but this is most definitely the first time Bendis has truly, deeply disappointed me with his run. There's been plenty of stuff I haven't liked, but this is a whole new level.

What the f**k happened to building Clark up into the important figure he used to be Bendis? Huh? Where'd that go man?

Who are you pod people?

First Sacred "Jon Kent's number one fan" Knight is surprisingly zen about it, and now you're more or less chill with it? What's next? Ascended outright fist pumping at the idea
    Best thing evahh!!!!! >insert jazz hands<

Seriously though......what is this, if not just another day of Superfandom? Any of us who have been around for a while, like Sacred and me, are used to seeing Clark suffer for the benefit of others. I tricked myself into thinking it might be different this time and Bendis might be making Clark truly matter again.....and that's on me. I should've known better.

Jokes aside, I gotta respect your level head and overall class when faced with something that's not you're first choice.
    I agree, those of us who aren't happy about this are acting with some serious class, and I commend everyone for that.

Now, if you'll pardon me I gotta go hit the punching bag for about an hour......for totally unrelated reasons.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Who are you pod people?

First Sacred "Jon Kent's number one fan" Knight is surprisingly zen about it, and now you're more or less chill with it? What's next? Ascended outright fist pumping at the idea?

This isn't some Wally West level character assassination, so I can deal. I love the marriage and others don't, so when it's in comics and I love it I know others are groaning. I know we can't have everything we want, otherwise Superman would appeal to only myself. That's what fanfic is for.

I just try and roll with it so long as it doesn't feel malicious, like with Wally or Ric. That's where the salt comes in. It helps that Bendis is still way in the net positive for me with his time at DC, so he's got a fair bit of faith with me. Same with the "is Lois cheating" public angle. I hold hope he's not going to resolve that in a disservice to either her or Clark. He respects them too much and it's refreshing to have that level of confidence in a Superman creator. I've felt so since Rebirth. Clark's had a good run of people who actually like him since then.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-19-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Well, I think it's safe to assume this isn't the pre-Flashpoint continuity. Which I've suspected for a while now. They sort of imply that Superman has never heard of them here so I think it's safe to assume Johns SO is out. What this means for Superman's larger history here is anyone's guess. Was he ever a costumed Superboy? We don't know. Obviously he wasn't a member of the Legion. Or he doesn't remember being a member. This changes so much of his history with these two pages.
    Assassinate Putin!

Its a situation where elements of SO are out. This is what a lot of people predicted when the Reborn Aftermath issues came out. That the foundation was clearly SO but with so much detail left out, there was room to alter things, particularly because there was already an example of that with the Kents still dead. Lo and behold here's another gigantic alteration. But unless and until they decide to tell the origin again outright (and I'll be honest, I suspect they'll have Bendis do that at some point; why would they stop constantly redoing his origin now?), its quasi-SO. Just like this whole continuity is quasi-pre-FP. It is once again just a nonsensical mash-up.

Best idea for Leviathan's identity ever.

I am down 1000000000000000000000000% for that brother!
    Tie Doomsday Clock and Leviathan together. Rebirth Special and Doomsday Clock feature a Saturn Girl that's clearly not this continuity's Imra anymore. Maybe its not the main Superman she's looking for after all.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El