Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #14 Preview

Well, technically it's just the straight up last 4 pages of the book

This thread is gonna be....well it's gonna something lmao

Ascended, Sacred, Robanker.....keep an open mind lol
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Sacred! Before you continue, just breath, okay? Sacred, please! Remember to breath lmao

Last edited by Superlad93; 08-19-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

This moment I am sure will be controversial. I am a bit hesitant of it but it doesn't make or break the storyline for me.

It definitely helps Jon's character. He never had a defining moment. Jon founding the UP along with Supes and becoming a member of the Legion. It certainly nails him in continuity as an important character, worthy of being Superman's successor. And its not something I will miss terribly. Since Superman doesn't work well in long stints with the Legion as much as a Superboy.

Lmao Sacred is going to be pissed. I’m fine with this though, Jon may have suggested the idea but Kal is the one who takes it up and is trying to make it a reality. So Kal is the one who is ultimately to thank for it existing.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Rofl. I'm not into having comics delayed and spoiled twice over but I hope others will join me (if not now maybe in the... future) in having a laugh at this remarkable irony, given the earnest statements of so many on the subject.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Rofl. I'm not into having comics delayed and spoiled twice over but I hope others will join me (if not now maybe in the... future) in having a laugh at this remarkable irony, given the earnest statements of so many on the subject.
    Laughing to keep from crying. It’s darkly comedic that everything Sacred was worried about happening did happen. Clark gets zero credit for the United Planets and the LoSH chooses Jon over him. Dude gets tossed to the side. I will say that if Clark feels a little envious of his son for all the adoration he gets then I might keep on board for this. An exploration of how Clark feels when he’s no longer the most important guy in the room could be fascinating. One of Silver Age Superman’s most consistent fears was being replaced after all, or losing the public adoration. Otherwise I’m really not feeling this direction at all and might drop the book. It’s not Batman taking this stuff away from him at least I guess.

All-New Member

I have been on his side since the announcement and defended him all the way but I can't do it anymore.

Bendis finally lost me.

So, I'm with a few on here where I'm actually totally cool with this if not just outright into it in isolation.

That said, I'm totally ready to eat crow on what I was debating lol As Sacred said, it is what it is.

I kind of super appreciate that the most important advancement in the galaxy was seeded from a fairly simple and innocent suggestion from a kid, and then actually implemented by Superman's clout.

As someone with no real strong attachment to the Legion or it's place in Superman's backstory that scene even makes me cringe a little bit. I think Jon makes sense to join the Legion - it's a Superboy thing and they aren't going to make Clark a costumed Superboy any time soon again. So that's fine.

But to use Jon as the inspiration for the founding of the United Planets does kinda bug me. I mean, I get it. But its still reads a little off to me.

Lol, thanks for the worry, Superlad, but I'm okay. I got the feeling in that one page, the one that we've been seeing all week before this, that Bendis was going to make it Jon's idea. I didn't want to make that accusation without positive proof, but it was my gut feeling so I pretty much was expecting this. I hate it, but it is what it is. At this point I think the main Superman's lore is so brutally screwed up that all I can do is hang my hat even more on alternate takes. As rickety the rack for those hats are.

With the connective tissues between stuff going on with Superman and the rest of the DCU in the year prior to this, I really thought Bendis was trying to make Superman that staple again. I thought at the very least, we had a writer who wanted to embrace HIM, and not just parts of his mythos or other characters within it. Its disappointing to be so wrong. I still think he writes Superman well as a character, but now its just tainted with the revelation it was all building up in large part to this, his history being neutered again and given to someone else. New day, same old stuff.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    As someone with no real strong attachment to the Legion or it's place in Superman's backstory that scene even makes me cringe a little bit. I think Jon makes sense to join the Legion - it's a Superboy thing and they aren't going to make Clark a costumed Superboy any time soon again. So that's fine.

But to use Jon as the inspiration for the founding of the United Planets does kinda bug me. I mean, I get it. But its still reads a little off to me.
    I don't even like Superman's backstory with the Legion, and I don't like this. Rather than being upset that Jon in some fashion supplanting Clark, I'm upset that they're giving Jon knockoff stories and events of import that basically scream "CLARK REPLACEMENT!" I like him as his own person with his own thing. I've said before how I hated Kon being made over into Clark-lite, with Clark's powers, Clark's DNA, Clark's hometown, and Clark's parents. I feel the same way about this happening to Jon.

No, it doesn't help Jon's character. Repurposing Clark things as Jon things doesn't actually elevate Jon. It actually devalues him, because there is greatly likelihood it goes back to being a Clark thing in the future and makes it easier to erase Jon.
    Exactly this.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-19-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    This moment I am sure will be controversial. I am a bit hesitant of it but it doesn't make or break the storyline for me.

It definitely helps Jon's character. He never had a defining moment. Jon founding the UP along with Supes and becoming a member of the Legion. It certainly nails him in continuity as an important character, worthy of being Superman's successor. And its not something I will miss terribly. Since Superman doesn't work well in long stints with the Legion as much as a Superboy.
    No, it doesn't help Jon's character. Repurposing Clark things as Jon things doesn't actually elevate Jon. It actually devalues him, because there is greatly likelihood it goes back to being a Clark thing in the future and makes it easier to erase Jon. Jon had his own thing and was loved for that thing. Between the aging up and this, it just derails him further. He doesn't need the Legion and the Legion doesn't need him. Oh, and Jon has had plenty of defining moments so far.

So frustrated. I knew this was going to be Bendis's moronic idea about "elevating" a character who didn't need it in the least. He's doing the freaking opposite.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Yeah now more than ever I don’t expect it to last. The foundations for this are simply far too shoddy, and to susceptible to being retconned. Bendis LoSH is not something I see selling very well and I expect Bendis LoSH will join the Waid reboot soon enough lol. So don’t worry too much Sacred.

I actually agree with you Sam. My feelings on Jon altogether aside, I could never say he wasn't working fine enough as it is. Do I still think he's a wholly unnecessary character altogether? Yeah, I do. Do I think he royally screwed up Superman's history from the get-go? Yeah, I do. Could I ever say with any legitimacy that in a present day situation he actively wasn't working? No I couldn't. He wasn't for me but that obviously wasn't the case for everyone. There was at least something to him more than Clark-lite. But now that's what he is. He's Silver Age Clark Kent Superboy. To his detriment, and in a way more substantiate way, to Superman himself. And that's really the only place we differ. You hate this more for Jon. I hate it more for Superman. But the different roads we're on lead to the same place in this instance.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I actually agree with you Sam. My feelings on Jon altogether aside, I could never say he wasn't working fine enough as it is. Do I still think he's a wholly unnecessary character altogether? Yeah, I do. Do I think he royally screwed up Superman's history from the get-go? Yeah, I do. Could I ever say with any legitimacy that in a present day situation he actively wasn't working? No I couldn't. He wasn't for me but that obviously wasn't the case for everyone. There was at least something to him more than Clark-lite. But now that's what he is. He's Silver Age Clark Kent Superboy. To his detriment, and in a way more substantiate way, to Superman himself. And that's really the only place we differ. You hate this more for Jon. I hate it more for Superman. But the different roads we're on lead to the same place in this instance.
    Definitely getting where you're coming from.

This seems like the foundation of a team-up, Sacred Knight. Let's do this! (Holds up some sort of power ring).
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers