Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I missed a "did you recently take a trip with your crazy grandpa" joke in there too.
    And truly we're all lesser for it.

And yeah, the conversation between Clark and Kara are definitely the high point of the book.
    Most hyped for this. I wanted to ask: how specific are the hints you mentioned? A paraphrased example?

There's good Zod material in both Supergirl and Superman. The way he is being used in both is solid.
    Dude, if we can, as a collective stop pretending like Zod is a good full on villain past like 1 (maaaaaybe) 2 stories, I'll consider it a win. We stick the landing on this whole ambiguous Magneto thing? A freakin triumph. Needless to say, I'm glad to hear he got good play in both issues.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And truly we're all lesser for it.
    This will haunt me.

Most hyped for this. I wanted to ask: how specific are the hints you mentioned? A paraphrased example?
    If I'm understanding what you're asking for, spoilers:
    Basically Clark says something along the lines of not being sure if he can do what they are asking of him (without saying what was asked of him) which I read as essentially his not being sure he can take on the responsibility of leading the UP or if he is the right person for it. This occurs on Thanagar or whatever planet they were on. Kara responds as you would expect, basically telling him that of course he is!

Oh, Kara also basically says, you're going to be out here for a while, so I'll check in with Lois and let her know. Implying he's got some work to do still setting it up.

Prior to that there's a scene mirroring the pitch to the assembled galaxy right before the Legion shows up. Basically, Kara is thinking how Clark is basically commanding the room given his stature in the universe and how much Jon is impressive as well.
    end of spoilers

Is that what you were asking about?

Dude, if we can, as a collective stop pretending like Zod is a good full on villain past like 1 (maaaaaybe) 2 stories, I'll consider it a win. We stick the landing on this whole ambiguous Magneto thing? A freakin triumph. Needless to say, I'm glad to hear he got good play in both issues.
    There is one deadpan bit with Zod that I thought was pretty funny. But his role is more substantial and interesting in Superman 14. There is definitely the sense that Bendis is making him a far more grey character and not the mustache twirling fascist he's been portrayed as at other times.

Everyone upset about the UP thing look away for a minute! spoilers:
    You could make the case Zod's involved with the founding of the UP as well, given it's a pitch they all apparently discuss together before Superman presenting it to the assembled worlds.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-23-2019 at 02:43 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Is that what you were asking about?
    1000% what was asking about. Thanks, Yoda.

Again, I'm in a really good place after hearing this. The hype is very high, and I hope it's just a straight up indication of what the Superman book will be going forward because I'm all the way in.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

There is one deadpan bit with Zod that I thought was pretty funny. But his role is more substantial and interesting in Superman 14. There is definitely the sense that Bendis is making him a far more grey character and not the mustache twirling fascist he's been portrayed as at other times.
    Bleh. I don't really like that at all. Seems like they try to make every popular villain except the Joker grey these days (yes, I know that's an exaggeration). I want bad guys and good guys, for the most part.

Everyone upset about the UP thing look away for a minute!
    Actually, this is making me feel a little better and slightly more optimistic about it all. Zod as space politician sounds sooooo intriguing.

I still disagree with giving the Legion to Jon, that "the future belongs to the youth" mindset can go to hell.

And I'm not pleased they're giving Jon credit for the UP.

But if everyone else is looking to Clark and he's putting the work in......assuming this becomes a factor in his narrative going forward instead of a short-term gimmick (which is unlikely as hell given how the industry works, but sometimes stuff *does* stick despite DC's best efforts) it might all turn out okay.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Bleh. I don't really like that at all. Seems like they try to make every popular villain except the Joker grey these days (yes, I know that's an exaggeration). I want bad guys and good guys, for the most part.
    Well Lex is back to being an evil SOB. We got Red Cloud and Rogal Zaar who are both pretty bad guys. I really doubt Zod is going to be cuddling bunnies, and honestly my favorite Zod is New Krypton Zod, so I like Zod with a bit of moral greyness. He and Jor-El were friends at one point so it makes sense to me that Zod isn’t completely without likeable qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Actually, this is making me feel a little better and slightly more optimistic about it all. Zod as space politician sounds sooooo intriguing.

I still disagree with giving the Legion to Jon, that "the future belongs to the youth" mindset can go to hell.

And I'm not pleased they're giving Jon credit for the UP.

But if everyone else is looking to Clark and he's putting the work in......assuming this becomes a factor in his narrative going forward instead of a short-term gimmick (which is unlikely as hell given how the industry works, but sometimes stuff *does* stick despite DC's best efforts) it might all turn out okay.
    At least they didn’t tell Kal to eat it grandpa lol.

Well Lex is back to being an evil SOB. We got Red Cloud and Rogal Zaar who are both pretty bad guys. I really doubt Zod is going to be cuddling bunnies, and honestly my favorite Zod is New Krypton Zod, so I like Zod with a bit of moral greyness. He and Jor-El were friends at one point so it makes sense to me that Zod isn’t completely without likeable qualities.
    When did the friendship with Jor-El become a thing, anyway? I don't recall it early on, but have only read a couple of the silver age stories with Zod.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    When did the friendship with Jor-El become a thing, anyway? I don't recall it early on, but have only read a couple of the silver age stories with Zod.
    After the Donner films.

Astonishing Member

It's a fair issue with great art, a few good character beats, and some moments. And some great cameos, actually. Nothing exactly surprising. Modern, trope heavy writing with very little subversion. Honestly, apart from the slight online fandom opinions on these sorts of (presumed and possibly perceptual, in this case, so far) ungraceful updates to certain characters, the whole thing is kind of milquetoast. Which is sad to say about any comic drawn by Ivan Reis.

I liked Zod.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

So, I'm with a few on here where I'm actually totally cool with this if not just outright into it in isolation.

That said, I'm totally ready to eat crow on what I was debating lol As Sacred said, it is what it is.

I kind of super appreciate that the most important advancement in the galaxy was seeded from a fairly simple and innocent suggestion from a kid, and then actually implemented by Superman's clout.
    I'm with you. I have no problems with this (I avoided spoilers and only just found out this afternoon).
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Always Rakzo

There's an interesting development for Rogol Zaar despite of how lame as villain he has been so far and that's surprisingly the best part of this since I LOATHED the rest. Bendis' intentions with Jon have become a reality and this is bad for fans of Jon since he will be out of the book, won't go back to his most lovable self in a while and didn't even do much in this arc to justify this whole change.

Art was good, aside from that, bad book and bad direction continue.

Him being out of the book could be the only good thing about Jon going to the Legion (though still not worth Superman being robbed). But I'm pretty sure Bendis has gone on record confirming that not even that is going to happen. There was that quote some time ago that he was going to be in 'every issue" going forward. Jon's departure is being played up right now as something that's at least an elongated trip so if he doesn't just travel back and forth as wishes, I have the unfortunate feeling that Superman might start dividing time in its own right between Superman himself and the 31st century.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-28-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Finally read it. Art was great. Already talked about my feelings regarding the LoSH, Rogal, and UP, so I won’t beat a dead horse.

Well now you just made me feel like a big baby for doing that very thing.

Oh well, I am!

I am interested in the Rogol Zaar thing, to say a positive thing. He himself isn't a fleshed out character but the ramifications of the tease for Superman and Supergirl intrigues me at the very least. And who knows, maybe he himself will finally get fleshed out even if it took too long. If things go as far as we think, it was quite clever to have him parading around wearing the El shield for nearly the entirety of the arc.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El