Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

And people praise Bendis's writing because???.... This is beyond cringe.... As someone who's never heard of this team not the best introduction/reintroduction.

So to my original understanding this legion was a big part of superman lore correct? So is this just 1 big retcon? Like I'm confused first the age up, now this Bendis is just being controversial to be controversial at this point the payoff has been lacking this entire run. Nothing that's happened in this series seems necessary. What's the point?
    Last edited by Journey; 08-19-2019 at 05:45 PM.

So to my original understanding this legion was a big part of superman lore correct? So is this just 1 big retcon?
    Yes. But then, him ever being Superboy was also a big retcon. But that was in a much earlier time, when comic continuity in general, and Superman's in particular, was still quite malleable. Not really sure when it firmed up, but significantly later.

The only thing I'm hoping for out of this Legion **** is that they use some future tech to get rid of that fucking eyesore of a scar! Like where the **** did that thing come from!?!?! I swear it's getting bigger by the issue!!!

You know something went terribly wrong when I say this:

Maybe someday Geoff Johns can fix it.

Yeah I said it. He can't write Superman as a character, but he respects his history to the utmost and was the last to try and bring stuff back to this version of Superman that he never should have lost in the first place.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Yeah I said it. He can't write Superman as a character, but he respects his history to the utmost and was the last to try and bring stuff back to this version of Superman that he never should have lost in the first place.
    Wow dude. I'm as pissed as the next guy, but come on, you can't be at *that* level of desperate.

I'm not anyway. This whole Legion thing isn't what I had hoped for by any stretch but Johns......he doesn't just give away a small part of Clark's mythos, he decimates the entire landscape.

Push comes to shove, we can just drop Superman and stick with Action, yknow? But gods, what have we done to deserve another dose of Johns?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    you are taking too much from that one page, the Legion never said Clark was a nobody. I am sure they value Superman a lot as well.
    You’re right, I apologize. I was in a bad mood and let myself get swept up in hyperbole. We’ll see how things play out.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, I think it's safe to assume this isn't the pre-Flashpoint continuity. Which I've suspected for a while now. They sort of imply that Superman has never heard of them here so I think it's safe to assume Johns SO is out. What this means for Superman's larger history here is anyone's guess. Was he ever a costumed Superboy? We don't know. Obviously he wasn't a member of the Legion. Or he doesn't remember being a member. This changes so much of his history with these two pages.
    The thing is they didn’t explicitly say Secret Origin was canon again, they just showed certain scenes. So what is canon is that Clark and Lex grew up together in Smallville and Clark debuted saving Lois from falling out of a helicopter. But nothing from the LoSH was mentioned. It’s annoying because the only reason I was cool with SO being the Origin was that it hit all the essential beats of Superman I like. Now that it doesn’t have that anymore, we’re just stuck with a hollow origin. They should just make Man and Superman by Wolfman the origin, that story feels like a real Post-Crisis and New 52 hybrid.

Somewhere out there Geoff Johns is smiling because he won but he doesn’t know what he won or why lol. I do expect if the Bendis LoSH fails to live up to expectations they may go back to Johns Legion. Or when Hickman comes aboard he’ll create the fifth LoSH iteration!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Wow dude. I'm as pissed as the next guy, but come on, you can't be at *that* level of desperate.

I'm not anyway. This whole Legion thing isn't what I had hoped for by any stretch but Johns......he doesn't just give away a small part of Clark's mythos, he decimates the entire landscape.

Push comes to shove, we can just drop Superman and stick with Action, yknow? But gods, what have we done to deserve another dose of Johns?
    Dang man I knew why Sacred doesn’t like Johns, but I didn’t know you didn’t. How come you don’t care for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dang man I knew why Sacred doesn’t like Johns, but I didn’t know you didn’t. How come you don’t care for him?
    I like Johns, just not on Superman. I've enjoyed a lot of his work; not all of it but a big chunk. And he seems like a real nice guy and I respect the hard work (and good luck) it must have taken for a fan to rise up as far as he has. So, just so it's clear, I got nothing against him personally or anything, or his writing most of the time. I just really dislike how he writes Superman.

What I don't like about his writing of the character.....man, that's a lot of words and this isn't the thread for it. I'll just say that his work feels like he took all the wrong lessons from every era to heart, is unable to write (or perhaps even recognize?) the deep nuance and flaws of the character, and generally just seems to like a very bland, generic Superman that has, in my mind, very little in common with the actual character. I think Johns writes Superman the way the world as a whole sees Superman, not as Superman actually is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I guess I'm just looking at things through rose colored glasses at the moment because he's the one who brought the Legion back to this Superman's (I know he's not verbatim pre-FP but he's closest to) history after so long. You're right though, with complete clarity its not like I genuinely want him to have another run. But I mean damn, why is he the only guy who will allow this version of Superman to have the Legion?
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'm not sure what's the fuss with this is? Superman has never been the one to establish United Planets.

Why this outrage?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

If doomsday clock was supposed to work the way it was, everything might have been restored. But, i don't see it happening now.
    i can't wait to see Damian's reaction. But then again bendis is writing the reunion. it would probably suck.

Because we'd already found out that Superman was losing both his tangible relationship with the Legion as friends and his adventures with them, then we found out that he was also losing being the direct inspiration for the Legion (that being confirmed as being branched out as an all-DCU-heroes-inspiration). It looking like Superman was establishing the UP in this continuity would've been a small consolation. Some connection. So revealing that even that is Jon's idea, at least as far as the Legion is concerned, leaves Superman with nothing. Everything about this classic dynamic has been mined away and given to others with nothing new to connect him individually to them. So its not so much in specific that he's not the founder of the UP, its that he isn't on top of the two classic elements we already knew he was losing to his son.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-19-2019 at 09:23 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superfan90 View Post
    I'm not sure what's the fuss with this is? Superman has never been the one to establish United Planets.

Why this outrage?
    But, the legion was inspired by superman, always. This makes jon the sole reason for existence of the legion and united planets. This makes jon one or if not the most important figures in history . Clark gets nothing and something is taken from him, again. Meanwhile, jon is being turned into clark-lite and coming of as scrappy doo.He is losing what made him relatable to people. His history as 10 year old is bearly there now. But, no outrage just acknowledgements going around that this sucks for both set of the fandom.
    There is also a feeling that clark got snubbed by the legion in favour of jon from the book.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-19-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Because we'd already found out that Superman was losing both his tangible relationship with the Legion as friends and his adventures with them, then we found out that he was also losing being the direct inspiration for the Legion (that being confirmed as being branched out as an all-DCU-heroes-inspiration). It looking like Superman was establishing the UP in this continuity would've been a small consolation. Some connection. So revealing that even that is Jon's idea, at least as far as the Legion is concerned, leaves Superman with nothing. Everything about this classic dynamic has been mined away and given to others with nothing new to connect him individually to them. So its not so much in specific that he's not the founder of the UP, its that he isn't on top of the two classic elements we already knew he was losing to his son.
    There's no indication that Superman being inspiration for Legion is removed.

Superman creating United Planets is random trivia at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    But, the legion was inspired by superman, always. This makes jon the sole reason for existence of the legion and united planets. This makes jon one or if not the most important figures in history . Clark gets nothing and something is taken from him, again. Meanwhile, jon is being turned into clark-lite and coming of as scrappy doo.He is losing what made him relatable to people. His history as 10 year old is bearly there now. But, no outrage just acknowledgements going around that this sucks for both set of the fandom.
    There is also a feeling that clark got snubbed by the legion in favour of jon from the book.
    I'm not seeing any of that in the preview. Let's wait and watch please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    So, I've decided this is actually another world version of Jon, while ours in still space.
    Technically, ours *is* still in space. Just sayin'..

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Jon is the one called “creator of the United Planets” though. Clark is a total nobody from the LoSH’s perspective, the John the Baptist to Jon’s Jesus (when I said I hated Superman is Jesus takes I didn’t mean this lol!). I was fine with losing the LoSH in exchange for Kal being the one to found the United Planets. But Jon is the one getting the credit for that too, so now Clark gets nothing. Oh Rao I just thought of something awful: What if Clark takes the Presidency just to warm the seat until Jon is ready? Lmao that would be one final kick.
    He won't be warming up the seat for Jon... he'll be warming up the seat for Lois. Which I'm actually fine with, but still - had to be said. lol

Seriously, though, it *is* really annoying that Superman is losing the LoSH cred to Jon, because that goes against the whole point of Reborn's "just about everything counts if you squint and put these filter glasses on" thing that I thought we had going with continuity now.

Ok... *slowly backs away*

(to everyone else) We're going to need a young priest and and old priest... and the young one can't look too much like Jon Kent, or I don't see this going well...

My only problem with Johns is that half the cast will be dead via brutal murders by the time he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah - that *is* getting annoying. Me being a Post-Crisis guy, the LoSH doesn't mean as much to me as it does others.. but the snub does suck, all the same.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/