Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Will this matter in a more direct way five-ten years from now?
    I'd argue that if the UP is still a concept in the DCU in 5 years then, yeah, technically. It's still the direct result of Krypton's cold case. To me, that tangibility of a thing that Clark directly worked on that he wouldn't have done otherwise is more direct than the more nebulous (though elegant) version of the destruction of Krypton. Again, with the natural destruction Clark would've done all the same things for Earth simply off the strength of being a good dude, and his parents, and there wouldn't have been anything--any moment to tangibly divorce Clark's good nature and the Kents' teachings from whatever he felt about Krypton as a direct link of how he's saving the world.

I think you can draw a fairly straight line from "lost his homeworld" to "does everything he can to protect his adopted world" too.
    But not really, though. That line starts and stops all over the place. You still get Superman doing "everything he can to protect his adopted world" regardless of how Krypton blows up because he's a good dude with powers and he was raised right. One of the things he's praised for as a character is doing the right thing because it's the right thing. That's why quite a few versions of him can work with him not learning about Krypton till much later.

The straight line that's most often drawn is "Clark's a good man who was raised by good people" to "he does everything in his power to protect his adopted world." That has no starts and stops in it.

The stuff Bendis is doing to move the mythos forward.....dude deserves a medal for that effort. Been far too long since we had someone who wanted to do anything other than wallow in nostalgia, deconstruct everything, or reinvent everything. And I'm enjoying this new death of Krypton (I can't say that enough!) but I do find it less elegant.
    It's all gonna be about what he does next, I feel. That's the test, for me. The pieces are set, stories are seeded, and the family of books is larger and overall stronger than it's been in in ages. We're at a boiling point, so what comes next is where it's really at for me.

But I'm happy to hear he's not in this alone. Rucka and Fraction apparently come over his place weekly to talk about Superman's world and how they can better flesh it out and improve it.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's all gonna be about what he does next, I feel. That's the test, for me. The pieces are set, stories are seeded, and the family of books is larger and overall stronger than it's been in in ages. We're at a boiling point, so what comes next is where it's really at for me.

But I'm happy to hear he's not in this alone. Rucka and Fraction apparently come over his place weekly to talk about Superman's world and how they can better flesh it out and improve it.
    Agreed; conceptually this all works but the real test is going to be what happens next and how Bendis (and DC) utilize the new playground. We're definitely at a boiling point; this is either going to go so big it becomes the next turning point in the character's mythos, or it'll fall apart under the stress.

I love how closely Fraction and Rucka are involved in this too. Say what you will about Bendis, but the dude has got friends who back him up!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.