Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Jon is responsible for formation of United Planets. I think Bendis was thinking that in this way its more logical to see Jon leave for the future. It makes sense in terms of the beats of the story. But how could Bendis be so unaware about LoSH and Superman?

Just take out the last couple of panels it could have been wonderful. Let Jon decide for himself that he shall go. A good character is one who takes the initiative. Take steps into the unknown for an idea whose time has come. Let him come up with the idea of United Planets. He did that a few panels ago. That isn't an issue. Its the line by the LoSH which ruined everything.

If Jon volunteered on his own it would be different. Superman would have opposed Jon's going. But Jon would stand firm. He is a (young)man out of time, in his own time. He is the one best fit for it. It would be the first time when Jon really opposed his father for something bigger then everyone involved. The way its written it looks like Jon has little agency of his own.

I am dissapointed. Superman did not make the United Planets. Sigh.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-20-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Perhaps its time to take a break from Superman. Its one thing to be disappointed. Its another when you are promised the throne, but the crown is taken away at the last moment. I have been reading Superman since Rebirth. But its the first time i am truly disappointed..Till now i was seeing a lot of potential even if things weren't lining up.

The only positive i can take is that we are going to see Superman form the United Planets and lead it. And maybe there's enough criticism for Jon forming United Planets as said by Legion and Bendis ignores that in the future.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-20-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Okay, I'll ask the obvious question: How are they going to explain Jon's absence to the rest of the world? It's well known the Kents have a 10 year old son. He up and disappears one day, how do they account for that?

Clark: "He, um, is living with relatives in Smallville now."

School administrator: "Okay, whats the number for the school so we can send them his records and transcripts?"

Clark: "You-you don't need to do that, really! We, um, already took care of it!"

School administrator: "How did you 'take care of it'? WE have the transcripts."

Clark: "Um..."

(Clark leans in for a memory wipe kiss)
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Okay, I'll ask the obvious question: How are they going to explain Jon's absence to the rest of the world? It's well known the Kents have a 10 year old son. He up and disappears one day, how do they account for that?

Clark: "He, um, is living with relatives in Smallville now."

School administrator: "Okay, whats the number for the school so we can send them his records and transcripts?"

Clark: "You-you don't need to do that, really! We, um, already took care of it!"

School administrator: "How did you 'take care of it'? WE have the transcripts."

Clark: "Um..."

(Clark leans in for a memory wipe kiss)
    Aren't they going to make jon superman's son from now on? Essentially, jon will loose his normal life and secret identity will be public identity. Clark will just be his adopted father or step father . Ofcourse these are the theories floating around with the kiss situation and general sam lane conversation lois had.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Aren't they going to make jon superman's son from now on? Essentially, jon will loose his normal life and secret identity will be public identity. Clark will just be his adopted father or step father . Ofcourse these are the theories floating around with the kiss situation and general sam lane conversation lois had.
    Which destroys Jon's civilian life or ability to have one under his own name....until/unless a plot device (probably a bad one) is used to allow him the opportunity for a future storyline

But hey, maybe Lois will just say he went off the live with his dad, and since he's in the future it won't matter than he can't have a normal life in the present. Not a fan of that idea, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Which destroys Jon's civilian life or ability to have one under his own name....until/unless a plot device (probably a bad one) is used to allow him the opportunity for a future storyline

But hey, maybe Lois will just say he went off the live with his dad, and since he's in the future it won't matter than he can't have a normal life in the present. Not a fan of that idea, either.
    I am not saying its a great idea. But, bendis can do anything.

I am not saying its a great idea. But, bendis can do anything.
    True. I don't have to like it (and haven't liked it), but it's true.

You'd still think co-workers would ask about Jon, though, expecting him to at least visit his mom. And if he is around (as I said, I quit regularly reading shortly after age-up, so am not sure) and hero-ing in the public, then will the public think Superman has two sons? Or just that it's a Kryptonian aging thing?

I guess the longer the public doesn't know about the age-up, the longer I can hold out a sliver of hope that it somehow doesn't stick/isn't what it seems. Well, theoretically, anyway.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-20-2019 at 11:03 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

This is still the theory I'm going with and hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Which destroys Jon's civilian life or ability to have one under his own name
    This actually isn't the rule anymore for when characters go public. It's more of a choice by the writer on how they wanna go about it. A big example being Luke Cage from Marvel. His identity is totally public (hell the identity of his hero wife is totally public too), but he's able to function quite normally outside of getting a few "Luke! You're the best" followed by high five or a few selfies. Marvel (and Bendis when he wrote him) treated him like a pretty honest depiction of a celebrity while allowing fro quite moments and plenty of interaction with normal people.

Now it's just a guess, but based on the not-too-subtle instance of a flashback where Jon is mad about gossip news saying stuff he didn't like about the Superman family makes me think that he and his family will have to deal with that side of things if/when they address why he's 17 now. So it's likely it'll deliberately be a bit hard for him to start with.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Now it's just getting ridiculous. Clark already looks too much like Superman as is. Plus, they both showed up at the same time and Clark writes about him all the time? You don't have to be Lex Luthor to put two and two together here.
    Assassinate Putin!

Now it's just getting ridiculous. Clark already looks too much like Superman as is. Plus, they both showed up at the same time and Clark writes about him all the time? You don't have to be Lex Luthor to put two and two together here.
    I don't think it is. They are saying jon kent is superman's son.the aging will be explained by it. I believe this whole triangle will tackled as a big scandal by bendis going by what is going on in lois lane book. Clark will be seen as the poor guy by the public who got suckered by lois.

It was always ridiculous though. The superhero secret identity is an utterly fantastical concept, you just have to roll with it. I mean they could make it so Mxy uses 5-D magic to hide Clark’s identity from the world, I wouldn’t mind that.

Yeah, but it only works if you don't push it. Lois is seen kissing Superman and now she and her husband, who looks just like him, are raising his illegitimate son?
    Assassinate Putin!

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Yeah, it's very much "either you buy into it or you don't" sort of deal.

I always found it far more fun when stories would just totally roll with it and talk about Clark and Superman as to different people. One of my favorite moments was in All Star Superman when Lex actually takes a bit of a liking to Clark, and he even talks about how Clark must be frustrated because he's feeling for Lois will never be returned because Superman's superiority turns the volume down on him.

So I really, really dig stuff like the kiss, the news coverage on it, and that AMAZING picture of Clark getting mustard off his shirt shown on national TV (lol) all being played straight--even grounded and realistic, but with not one "you know he kind of looks like...." thrown in there. It's just an aspect of the book. Moving on from it normalizes the idea.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-20-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I've come back from the ledge on this, but I still have a nagging feeling this whole kiss/Jon thing is intended to be a softer "Superman Disassembled" to get to a kinda have your cake and eat it too status quo with Lois & Clark publicly no longer an item and but still together either as Superman and Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane or putting the whole relationship in the category of their "secret" that they have to keep.

But I'm with Superlad in that I think the resolution to this is far more likely with Clark as a stepdad to Superman and Lois' kid. It's just that Superman's weekends with the kid involve intergalactic or time travel. The above seems a little to unseemly for Superman's status quo. Even for DC Comics under Didio and Lee.

Spectacular Member

Ok, I can see where everyone is coming from, but let's take a step back. The whole Jon is the inspiration for the United Planets comes from the Legion, a team from the Future. It's been a long established fact that the further you go into the future, the more history gets muddled. All this really does is establish is that by the Legion's time Jon is considered, whether by the world or just the Legion, as the inspiration for their way of life. This does not take away from the fact that in the present, it is Superman who is chosen to lead the United Planets as President. I can imagine that people that far in the future will have a lot of different opinions on this era than we do now.