Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daughters of Liberty:The Latest Version of The Illuminati?

If you've been reading Coates' Captain America, then you know about the Daughters of Liberty. If not, here's a quick rundown:

They are a centuries(?) old organization of women who have been secretly protecting and defending the American dream

Members include: Sue Storm, Misty Knight, Diamondback, Toni Ho, Storm, Jessica Drew to name a few.

Has Coates given us the latest version of The Illuminati and is this a good idea considering what happened with the last 2?

Or will they ever make those mistakes?

I don't think I'd go so far as to say the next Illuminati..but I can see them being something similar - just not for world ending events if that makes sense?

(Side note: I'm really looking forward to the Jessica Drew/Cap Team up Issue)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

They're more like a Secret A-Force.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    If you've been reading Coates' Captain America, then you know about the Daughters of Liberty. If not, here's a quick rundown:

They are a centuries(?) old organization of women who have been secretly protecting and defending the American dream

Members include: Sue Storm, Misty Knight, Diamondback, Toni Ho, Storm, Jessica Drew to name a few.

Has Coates given us the latest version of The Illuminati and is this a good idea considering what happened with the last 2?

That's an interesting question to ask. If so, the main downfall of the Illuminati was that they were all powerful and brilliant men in elite positions or positions of leadership within the superhero community, which made it extremely easy for them to overestimate their chances of success vis-à-vis the scope of their self-imposed directive and mission and left them equally extremely unprepared for their actions backfiring on them. As a result of that self-overestimation (arrogance, some would call it, and not without reason), we got World War Hulk, the years-long Skrull infiltration that culminated in Secret Invasion and set the stage for Norman Osborn's Dark Reign, and everything leading up to the total collapse of the Multiverse in the beginning of Secret Wars 2015. Could the Daughters of Liberty end up experiencing the same pitfalls, even with the best of intentions and without the implicit (or explicit) arrogance that characterized the Illuminati? Would be very fascinating to explore.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's an interesting question to ask. If so, the main downfall of the Illuminati was that they were all powerful and brilliant men in elite positions or positions of leadership within the superhero community, which made it extremely easy for them to overestimate their chances of success vis-à-vis the scope of their self-imposed directive and mission and left them equally extremely unprepared for their actions backfiring on them. As a result of that self-overestimation (arrogance, some would call it, and not without reason), we got World War Hulk, the years-long Skrull infiltration that culminated in Secret Invasion and set the stage for Norman Osborn's Dark Reign, and everything leading up to the total collapse of the Multiverse in the beginning of Secret Wars 2015. Could the Daughters of Liberty end up experiencing the same pitfalls, even with the best of intentions and without the implicit (or explicit) arrogance that characterized the Illuminati? Would be very fascinating to explore.
    There's an opportunity to explore that with the recent prison break and all of those villains running free.

Granted, Struckers' prison was more of a death chamber and they did free Steve, but still a lot of villains running loose right now.

There's an opportunity to explore that with the recent prison break and all of those villains running free.

Granted, Struckers' prison was more of a death chamber and they did free Steve, but still a lot of villains running loose right now.
    Speaking of Strucker, how the hell did he end up in charge of that prison? And given his past . . . would that be a somewhat unsubtle commentary on the nature of the contemporary prison system?

Speaking of Strucker, how the hell did he end up in charge of that prison? And given his past . . . would that be a somewhat unsubtle commentary on the nature of the contemporary prison system?
    It was said that the US Gov't worked out a deal with Strucker to open/operate the prison.

It would save the gov't money on costs to house super-villains.

It was said that the US Gov't worked out a deal with Strucker to open/operate the prison.

It would save the gov't money on costs to house super-villains.
    Again, (somewhat) unsubtle commentary on the nature of the contemporary prison system, or the prison-industrial complex, as I've heard it called. You can be a literal Nazi (which Baron Von Strucker was/is) and still run an American prison complex if you can do it cheaper/more efficiently.

Mighty Member

and everything leading up to the total collapse of the Multiverse in the beginning of Secret Wars 2015.
    It was explicitly stated that there was nothing the Illuminati could have done to prevent the collapse of the Multiverse.

I'd pay good-ass money to watch Misty blow up a planet with a handgun.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I need this now.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

BANNED

Tell me more. I'm kinda obsessed with Coates' Storm. Are you telling me that he's gone out of his way to shoehorn her into another character's narrative? Please tell me you're making things up?!

Quote Originally Posted by terrancejameson View Post
    Tell me more. I'm kinda obsessed with Coates' Storm. Are you telling me that he's gone out of his way to shoehorn her into another character's narrative? Please tell me you're making things up?!
    Don't worry, nothing's changed as far as how she's being used.

She had no dialogue and she just appears on panel.

Again, (somewhat) unsubtle commentary on the nature of the contemporary prison system, or the prison-industrial complex, as I've heard it called. You can be a literal Nazi (which Baron Von Strucker was/is) and still run an American prison complex if you can do it cheaper/more efficiently.
    Well..., in these times with our current administration....

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    A small moon maybe.