Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disney to release ALL STAR WARS FILMS on Blu-Ray in September! Will you get?

CBR is reporting listings on Blu-Ray.com and Amazon.com that show that Disney will be re-releasing every Star Wars film from the 1977 original to Solo in just a month.

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-disney...-ray/gallery/6

The official announcement hasn't come from Disney yet, but the listings ARE on Amazon.com.

Given the amount of times Star Wars has been released on home video, will anyone buy this? Now that Disney owns Fox, they can release EVERY Star Wars movie -- even the first one which was not part of the Lucasfilm sale.

Which ones of the ten releases will you get?

- A New Hope
    - Empire Strikes Back
    - Return of the Jedi

- Phantom Menace
    - Attack of the Clones
    - Revenge of the Sith

- The Force Awakens
    - Last Jedi
    - Rogue One
    - Solo

Each Blu-Ray will come with a digital code and is being touted as a "multi-screen edition." I don't know if that's anything more than what ANY movie with a digital code is.

It is still unknown exactly what's going to be different about these releases, but does anyone think that Disney will be releasing the original trilogy in its ORIGINAL form? Should they?

If they did, would this get you to buy these movies again?

Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-19-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

This will be a big deal and a sure purchase if they're releasing the un-ruined theatrical versions of the original trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    This will be a big deal and a sure purchase if they're releasing the un-ruined theatrical versions of the original trilogy.
    I remember in the 90s when we first got the edited versions. Like most people, I'm 100% fine with updating the special effects, and 100% unfine with everything else they changed.

The only change that bugged me was that Han shot. Period.

Then the most recent release inverted the audio channels. :-/
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

.....this seems silly. Just wait till the last one at Christmas then do it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Each Blu-Ray will come with a digital code and is being touted as a "multi-screen edition." I don't know if that's anything more than what ANY movie with a digital code is.
    That's exactly what it is; it just sounds fancier.

It is still unknown exactly what's going to be different about these releases, but does anyone think that Disney will be releasing the original trilogy in its ORIGINAL form?
    I don't think so; it's been years since the last release of the original cuts was given a new release (the 2009 single and trilogy box set editions, if I recall correctly) and they've had plenty of re-releases since that they could've done it. On top of that, LucasFilm has gone on record that they aren't planing to re-release them in order to respect George Lucas's wishes that the final edit is the one that best represents his vision for it. (FIY: not interested in getting into a debate about Lucas's "vision" for the movies and was was part of that and what was ideas he had after the fact.

Moral of the story, if you only want to watch the original cuts, keep a hold of or buy the old VHS and DVDs (and a lot of those are pretty spendy right not; the DVD pack of the OT goes well over a hundred dollars online, while I bought my copy in store relatively new for fifty bucks) or download the Harmony recreation of them.

Should they [release the original cuts]?
    Personally, I think that it should've been standard to have both the original and latest edit in the same package. Giving viewers the choice is kind of a no-brainer. That said, I have both the original cuts on that DVD and the BluRays of the final edit and I only watch the latter. Even when I just had the DVDs, I still watched the earlier Special Edition update version; I like how the tinkering creates more unity between the films and some of the rough stuff is fixed. So, even if I like the idea of having them, I wouldn't get much use of them and that fact is why I'm not too bothered by the lack of release for them.

Maybe if it was a BluRay edition, but since I never really watch the original cuts, I don't have use for another copy, since I already have the entire series to date on BluRay. I only have the Clone Wars movie on DVD (and the BluRay is really expensive these days, as is the DVD edition), so I'd get a release of that, but I don't think the copy right laws work quite like that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm pretty sure these are probably just repackaging the available discs. When FOX still had the home video license they also released the original six episodes in new packaging when THE FORCE AWAKENS came out. This is probably pretty much the same idea, but of course with the four Disney films added.

The new packaging is a bit weird. Interesting they kind of are evoking the movie posters here (Especially with Rogue One and Last Jedi, practically identical almost but with the colors changed), although I find it a bit odd that the ESB one features that "Gone with the Wind" artwork of Han & Leia instead of an actual photograph. Also Slave Leia has been replaced with forest camo Leia and for some reason Anakin's saber has a reddish hue (Granted, that's kind of how it looked in the AOTC teaser poster....)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'll buy the original trilogy if not the special editions that's it.

Absolutely not interested.

Not 4K, not interested. I've got Solo and Last Jedi on 4K and I'm patiently waiting on the others.

Throw in the Christmas Special and I'm in.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Throw in the Christmas Special and I'm in.
    You can find the Boba Fett cartoon on the six-movie BluRay set.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

CBR is reporting listings on Blu-Ray.com and Amazon.com that show that Disney will be re-releasing every Star Wars film from the 1977 original to Solo in just a month.

https://www.cbr.com/star-wars-disney...-ray/gallery/6

The official announcement hasn't come from Disney yet, but the listings ARE on Amazon.com.

Given the amount of times Star Wars has been released on home video, will anyone buy this? Now that Disney owns Fox, they can release EVERY Star Wars movie -- even the first one which was not part of the Lucasfilm sale.

Which ones of the ten releases will you get?

- A New Hope
    - Empire Strikes Back
    - Return of the Jedi

- Phantom Menace
    - Attack of the Clones
    - Revenge of the Sith

- The Force Awakens
    - Last Jedi
    - Rogue One
    - Solo

It is still unknown exactly what's going to be different about these releases, but does anyone think that Disney will be releasing the original trilogy in its ORIGINAL form? Should they?

No. To damn many rereleases.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    .....this seems silly. Just wait till the last one at Christmas then do it afterwards.
    Why? They can double dip from customers who can’t contain themselves by doing both.

It’s rhe same reason digital movies are released a week or two before hard copy. They know some people who can’t wait will buy it twice
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

It is still unknown exactly what's going to be different about these releases, but does anyone think that Disney will be releasing the original trilogy in its ORIGINAL form?
    No.
    Should they?
    YES.
    Yes, of course. I really, really dislike the updated version of Star Wars, and I'm annoyed by the updated version of The Empire Strikes Back; the updated version of Return of the Jedi I can live with, but having the choice of watching the original version would be nice.