Thread: Rematches

Default Rematches

So I was lurking about some fan art forum recently and came across a discussion regarding Wonder Woman fighting Mongol, and it seems a lot of people's go-to reference was the JLU episode "For the Man Who Has Everything" where Mongol beats the hell out of Diana.

Not really a surprise, I suppose, but even though Diana has been depicted holding her own against Mongol otherwise, it seemed a shame to me that this is more or less the defining "Wonder Woman vs. Mongol" reference regardless of continuity.
    So I thought it would be cool if someday we got to see Diana fight Mongol "again" and prevail. Not just in a childish payback way, but Mongol is a high-profile powerhouse villain and a story where Diana comes into conflict with him could be a compelling challenge for her. Or even just a fun brawl.

And this got me thinking about other "rematches" that could be cool to see.

As a more obscure example, during the Justice League Elite mini-series, Diana fought that story's villain--an ancient New God or whatever called Eve--and...was promptly crushed off-panel.
    Capture.jpg
    I know some fans cringe at the idea of Diana taking other rogues--especially when her own should be utilized more--but why not bring Eve back and incorporate her into Diana's gallery? It's not like she's being used anyway. If nothing else, I wouldn't mind seeing a proper fight where maybe Diana doesn't have to, as they say in pro-wrestling, "do the job."

So are there any fights, obscure or not, that you'd like to see Diana get a rematch...even if it is just petty payback?

Has Diana ever fought Mongal, daughter if Mongol? If so, how did she do?

Spectacular Member

[QUOTE=Guy_McNichts;4521525]So I was lurking about some fan art forum recently and came across a discussion regarding Wonder Woman fighting Mongol, and it seems a lot of people's go-to reference was the JLU episode "For the Man Who Has Everything" where Mongol beats the hell out of Diana.

Not really a surprise, I suppose, but even though Diana has been depicted holding her own against Mongol otherwise, it seemed a shame to me that this is more or less the defining "Wonder Woman vs. Mongol" reference regardless of continuity.
    So I thought it would be cool if someday we got to see Diana fight Mongol "again" and prevail. Not just in a childish payback way, but Mongol is a high-profile powerhouse villain and a story where Diana comes into conflict with him could be a compelling challenge for her. Or even just a fun brawl.[/QUOTE

I thought it was a fantastic adaptation of a well-regarded story. I don't need to see Diana triumph or be the best in every situation. I do understand that she tends to get jobbed more often than not. But in this instance, for this story, it made sense to me. Bronze/Silver Age Mongol is stronger than Superman, who is considered the strongest DCU hero. And I think Diana fought well and held Mongol back as was needed for Clark and Bruce to get it together.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch between Mongol and Diana.

We got one (of sorts) in Infinite Crisis: Mongul's son, also named Mongul, appears to assist and train Superman, in preparation for the arrival of Imperiex. This Mongul seems to be more powerful than his father. He appears to have been killed later in the Our Worlds at War crossover, but returns during Infinite Crisis after learning from Despero that the Justice League has apparently been destroyed. His intention is to loot their Watchtower headquarters but he ends up fighting Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. He is almost killed by Wonder Woman before escaping via a working teleporter.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    So are there any fights, obscure or not, that you'd like to see Diana get a rematch...even if it is just petty payback?
    Every ounce of me wants Diana to take Storm's head off in a one-panel punch and then walk away. But Diana's not that petty.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    Every ounce of me wants Diana to take Storm's head off in a one-panel punch and then walk away. But Diana's not that petty.
    I'd be happy with her just walking through a lightning storm and giving Storm a flick to the forehead to knock her out (and I'm a huge Storm fan, btw). That whole fight was just idiotic.

I've always wanted to see Diana versus Black Adam or Mongul or Ultraman or The Hulk and hold her own.

The more recent animated versions of Diana versus Darkseid and a Doomsday have been a lot of fun, but of course I'd liked to have seen Diana do a little better solo against them before Superman shows up.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'd be happy with her just walking through a lightning storm and giving Storm a flick to the forehead to knock her out (and I'm a huge Storm fan, btw). That whole fight was just idiotic.
    Count me as an Ororo fan. But agreed that the whole thing based on voting was idiotic. If I'm not mistaken, this whole thing lead to a period of time when Diana was portrayed to have some extra vulnerability to lightning. Pfft.

I like your vision more than mine: no need to kill Storm, just show her who's boss.

I don't care for the Ororo/Diana fight so I'll just ignore it. Diana vs Mongul rematch I'm fine with.