Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I personally like my Superman ridiculously powerful. I think part of thepoint of superman is to push him beyond imaginable limits.
    I agree with you 100%

I personally like my Superman ridiculously powerful. I think part of thepoint of superman is to push him beyond imaginable limits.
    As do I. He's Superman for Pete's sake, Superman, he's supposed to be OP. Heck, one could argue Sups is the originator of the OP hero trope. Being OP is an integral part of his character like the S symbol, his red, blue & yellow getup, being a survivor from a doomed alien world, growing up in small-town America, or becoming a big-city reporter.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-20-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As do I. He's Superman for Pete's sake, Superman, he's supposed to be OP. Heck, one could argue Sups is the originator of the OP hero trope. Being OP is an integral part of his character like the S symbol, his red, blue & yellow getup, being a survivor from a doomed alien world, growing up in small-town America, or becoming a big-city reporter.
    Absolutely!!! I mean why have superheroes if they can't be super? And Superman should be the most super of all!

Astonishing Member

I'm kind of on the fence.

Given a choice I prefer a powerful Superman with brains over a near omnipotent one. Lifting buildings and the like don't bother me, but Superman escaping black holes, dragging chains of planets, extinguishing stars with a sneeze and all the like does bother me. At some point it goes from having super-strength or invulnerability to just having writer's fiat to do whatever the plot calls for. It's boring when the character's abilities are so vaguely defined that they might as well be infinite.

I like the idea that even if Superman has almost unimaginable limits on the level of his power that there be some limits just on the effects of his power.

Using heat vision shouldn't be a pin-point effect. If he is making the metal object hot enough to melt, then at least some of that heat should be radiating out to the surrounding area. Super-hearing should still be subject to the speed of sound so Clark can't hear conversations in real time from halfway across the country. Grabbing items a person is hilding at super-speed should run the risk of damaging the hands holding the object.

I'd rather see writers trying to come up with consistent limits and figuring out ways to still have the hero win rather than just having them overpower every obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Super doesn't have to mean OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Super doesn't have to mean OP.
    It doesn't but I think (in many cases) it should.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

So you're ok with someone flying into the Sun and instead of being vaporized gets a powerup; but lifting more than 200 tons is ridiculous?
    One, I stated that a "solar dip" should be rare, and, two, "200 tons" is not "ridiculous" when compared to moving a PLANET. And btw? Superman SHOULD be powerful, just not ridiculously so.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The only one who trains is Batman. Cap doesn’t need to train he’s got the Super Soldier Serum. Iron Man doesn’t train at all he just builds suits. I don’t really buy that people would care whether Supes gets his powers from the sun or gravity.
    Cap does train. Look how his fightingstyle has changed. I am not arguing against how they get their powers. Iron man created that armour. He has learns new things, gets new ideas from experiences to create his armour. He is even given ironsmith imagery when creation of the armour. If it was upto me the sun will be an energy source not power source. Solar energy will be like clarks personal hamburger.he will be more like plants. But it won't heal, since eating doesn't give you rapid regeneration. It won't give you strength, invulnerability or speed. These things will be caused by his skeleton structure being tougher , gravity and atmosphere he was native too being much harsher. Clark has multiple powers their reason for existing should be different too.

Mighty Member

I dont understand the sense of this Thread:

What is with WONDER WOMAN,MARTIAN MANHUNTER,AQUAMAN,CAPTAIN MARVEL,SHAZAM???

I mean they are also at Supermans Level and I think that especially Wonder Woman is to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    I dont understand the sense of this Thread:

What is with WONDER WOMAN,MARTIAN MANHUNTER,AQUAMAN,CAPTAIN MARVEL,SHAZAM???

I mean they are also at Supermans Level and I think that especially Wonder Woman is to OP.
    Wonder Woman is still vulnerable to bullets not to mention lacking in several other powers Superman has.

Martian Manhunter can be beaten by a box of matches.

Shazam is technically supposed to be as powerful as Superman but these days tends to be weaker than him.

Mighty Member

Wonder Woman is still vulnerable to bullets not to mention lacking in several other powers Superman has.

Martian Manhunter can be beaten by a box of matches.

Shazam is technically supposed to be as powerful as Superman but these days tends to be weaker than him.
    Wonder Woman has a weakness to bullets, BUT!! is nearly as strong,fast as Superman and she has MAGICAL SWORD,BETTER FIGHTING SKILLS and NO BIG WEAKNESS.
    I mean even Batman has no ral contingency plan against her.

Martian Manhunter has overcome the fear of fire several times and is, if you consider all his powers more powerful than him.

And it also makes no sense, since in Supermans Case you only need Kryptonite or red Sun or so, while Wonder Woman has no real weakness.

I would rather tone Martian Manhunter,Wonder Womans Powers down.

Wonder Woman has a weakness to bullets, BUT!! is nearly as strong,fast as Superman and she has MAGICAL SWORD,BETTER FIGHTING SKILLS and NO BIG WEAKNESS.
    I mean even Batman has no ral contingency plan against her.

Martian Manhunter has overcome the fear of fire several times and is, if you consider all his powers more powerful than him.

And it also makes no sense, since in Supermans Case you only need Kryptonite or red Sun or so, while Wonder Woman has no real weakness.

I would rather tone Martian Manhunter,Wonder Womans Powers down.
    She's weak against bullets. She nearly died from being shot in Priest's Justice League book. At least kryptonite isn't something your average bank robber will be carrying. Also, Batman does have a contingency against her as seen in Snyder's run.

Even if you ignore the fire weakness, Martian Manhunter has never been portrayed as more powerful than Superman. He's lucky if they're treated as equals.

Superman has powered through kryptonite and red sun radiation so often they might as well not be weaknesses. Toning down Diana and J'onn will only further widen the gap between them and Superman in the latter's favor.

Mighty Member

She's weak against bullets. She nearly died from being shot in Priest's Justice League book. At least kryptonite isn't something your average bank robber will be carrying. Also, Batman does have a contingency against her as seen in Snyder's run.

Even if you ignore the fire weakness, Martian Manhunter has never been portrayed as more powerful than Superman. He's lucky if they're treated as equals.

Superman has powered through kryptonite and red sun radiation so often they might as well not be weaknesses. Toning down Diana and J'onn will only further widen the gap between them and Superman in the latter's favor.
    This with the bullets isnt consistent. There were also times (if I remind right) that she was also invulnerable to bullets. And even if you say she has a weakness to bullets she blocks easily 99,999% of the bullets.
    And with her magical sword,lasso and her superior fighting skills she has BIG ADVANTAGES to Clark.
    She also removed once the bracelets only to become even stronger afterwards.

Martian Manhunter has often been displayed to be at Supermans Level and if you include his Telepathy and Telekinesis you can clearly say that he is more powerful than Superman.
    Especially as FERMUS he displayed how powerful he is. Superman is vulnerable to Telepathy and he also said that Martian Manhunter is the most powerful being on Earth.

MM is clearly more powerful than Superman if you take him as complete package, Wonder Woman is also at Supermans Level and maybe even above if you consider that she is the way better fighter and has magical equipment.

This with the bullets isnt consistent. There were also times (if I remind right) that she was also invulnerable to bullets. And even if you say she has a weakness to bullets she blocks easily 99,999% of the bullets.
    And with her magical sword,lasso and her superior fighting skills she has BIG ADVANTAGES to Clark.
    She also removed once the bracelets only to become even stronger afterwards.

Martian Manhunter has often been displayed to be at Supermans Level and if you include his Telepathy and Telekinesis you can clearly say that he is more powerful than Superman.
    Especially as FERMUS he displayed how powerful he is. Superman is vulnerable to Telepathy and he also said that Martian Manhunter is the most powerful being on Earth.

MM is clearly more powerful than Superman if you take him as complete package, Wonder Woman is also at Supermans Level and maybe even above if you consider that she is the way better fighter and has magical equipment.
    She's vulnerable to bullets now. And I don't know why you're bringing up her equipment when it's never helped her actually beat him.

Superman has done things like holding up infinity, beating both Sampsom and Atlas in arm wrestling at the same time and singing Darkseid to death.

Martian Manhunter has been toned down. He frequently has his powers stripped away or outright ignored.

Retired

In today's world, it pays to be a show-off. You have to be extra to get attention. The subdued Superman doesn't work. To get the attention of the audience, he has to put on a show. It's less about the level of powers he has than how he uses them--preferably with a lot of showmanship.

"The second act is called 'The Turn.' The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

The comic artists need to be always looking for the most spectacular way to show Superman's feats. Not brute force feats--like flash vision and punching things into olivion--but more show-off feats where the outcome is unexpected. The same with movies--you need John Wick level stunts that have you wondering how the heck did they do that?