Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I agree, the Lion only thought he was Cowardly just as the Scarecrow only thought he wasn't smart, and the Tin Man only thought he had no heart. There is a certain power in self perception, even if that perception is badly formed and inaccurate.

So I used him as a very low bar, knowing that there were many other characters out there who were true cowards.
    I'm confused that people seem to be saying this is something the film got wrong, when that is exactly how it was in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm confused that people seem to be saying this is something the film got wrong, when that is exactly how it was in the film.
    Books can flesh out a character better, provide more nuance and give better insight to motivations. Movies often have to skim over some things for the sake of time and production necessities.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired

I've only watched the movie of THE WIZARD OF OZ and read the DC/Marvel comic book, never got around to the actual novel. But I certainly figured out that the Cowardly Lion wasn't cowardly. Since I watched the movie every year at Christmastime from when I was a baby until I was around 15 years old, I don't know when that insight dawned on me, but it's something I worked out for myself from the acting and the dialogue. And I think it's something that you learn better as a little kid when you can put it together from the spare detail you're given. Those characters stay in your head and you imagine what makes them tick. And figuring that out for yourself, rather than having it hammered home, is more powerful, because it's like you've unlocked a door to understanding how people really are inside and not what they show on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I agree, the Lion only thought he was Cowardly just as the Scarecrow only thought he wasn't smart, and the Tin Man only thought he had no heart. There is a certain power in self perception, even if that perception is badly formed and inaccurate.

So I used him as a very low bar, knowing that there were many other characters out there who were true cowards.
    This is ALL correct. They were NOT the things they thought they were.

However, Dr. Smith was not only a relentless survivor, but he's more than willing to throw anybody (children) under the bus at the mere threat to his self preservation. That's true cowardice.

I always wondered why the lion was singled out as a coward when they all ran from the flying monkeys and other threats.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Dr. Zachary Smith
    Man, did any other man scream louder than him when he was scared?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Man, did any other man scream louder than him when he was scared?
    Hahahaha, yes, that is true!

But the first episode for sure, and maybe the second and third, he was very mean and tough. Then Jonathan Harris began putting his own touches on the character and we had the Dr Smith you described.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Hahahaha, yes, that is true!

But the first episode for sure, and maybe the second and third, he was very mean and tough. Then Jonathan Harris began putting his own touches on the character and we had the Dr Smith you described.
    Yes, the earlier episodes have a truly malevolent and non-comical Smith. I actually prefer those episodes than the goofier ones, but it's hard not loving the scaredy-cat. He probably was my favorite character to imitate as a kid... maybe even today!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

G1 Starscream being a coward is a surprisingly common misconception. He's an accomplished warrior who is commonly seen leading the charge. He's a treacherous backstabber, yes, which is often conflated with being a coward-- there are a lot of characters who are both. He's shown turning tail when the odds are against him, yes. But that's more to do with his nature as an opportunist and a control freak, than with cowardice.

His fellow Decepticon Thrust is a true coward.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me