View Poll Results: What was it like growing up a comic fan for you?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Comics were actively discouraged, and I felt like the only fan

1 4.00%
  • Comics were actively discouraged, but I knew a lot of comic fans.

1 4.00%
  • Comics were frowned upon, and I felt like the only fan.

2 8.00%
  • Comics were frowned upon, but I knew a lot of comic fans.

2 8.00%
  • Nobody cared one way or the other, and I felt like the only fan

2 8.00%
  • Nobody cared one way or the other, but I knew a lot of comic fans.

6 24.00%
  • Comics were accepted, but I felt like the only fan

5 20.00%
  • Comics were accepted, and I knew a lot of comic fans.

5 20.00%
  • Everybody seemed to like comics.

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default What was it like for you, growing up as a comic fan?

A poll of CBR member ages on the DC Forum got me wondering about something. How varied is the experience you grew up with as a comic fan?

Some of us grew up in times when most teachers seemed determined to stamp comics reading out, and bullying jocks seemed determined to stamp comics readers out. These days, the comics provide the IP of some of the most valuable franchises in Hollywood's history. I've got to think that makes for a very different experience than in times past. So what was it like for you?

I grew up in the 90s (graduated in 1999). I didn't know anyone, boys at least, that didn't read at least some comics, mostly X-Men or Image. I don't really remember any sort of comics related stigma. I wrestled and played football and most of my team regularly talked pretty openly about what they were reading or read.

Pretty much everyone watched Spider-Man, and X-Men when they were younger and quite a few watched The Maxx and Spawn, .
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

Remember that in the 1950s, comic book titles sold in the millions every month. Spinner racks were in all the food and drug stores. And they were all in color, for a dime!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

No-one really cared one way or the other, at least in my experience. I knew several fans and one of them was the best man to my wedding so I have happy memories of comic reading as a kid. I grew up in the 1990s.

It's tough to pick an option. I grew up in the 70s. I actually graduated HS the same year as the That 70's Show characters. I can't say comics were frowned upon, but they weren't exactly a respectable hobby then. They were definitely something you were expected to outgrow. i DID KNOW A few fans who were basically a source for back issues. This was before most comic shops.

1980's. Had to hide the fact I was reading comics from my parents and schoolmates. Parents thought it was little kid stuff and I was wasting my time. The only people who read comics at school were those looking for a reason to be picked on.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    1980's. Had to hide the fact I was reading comics from my parents and schoolmates. Parents thought it was little kid stuff and I was wasting my time. The only people who read comics at school were those looking for a reason to be picked on.
    My story and as very similar. When I was about 15, my mother was furious when she calculated what I'd spent on my collection.

BANNED

My mom used to buy me comic books but I don't think anyone else in my family aside from an uncle or two was happy that I read them, as a kid I remember other kids used to be jealous of all the comics I used to bring into school on some days and I had a lot of pals that I would trade comics with. Nowadays as a young adult I feel an immense stigma because I don't think people understand why I appreciate comic books so much. I realized in my late teens that I had spent years reading tons of different comic runs with so much time elapsing that I would eventually feel like I was experiencing the stories unfolding with the characters.I remember reading the last issues of DMZ or Y the Last Man and just thinking wtf do I do? I've been coming in here and buying these every month for years and now it's over. When a really good run ends it feels like a whole aspect of my life is stripped away. I feel like anyone who hasn't collected comics can't really identify and there's so much more to collecting comic books than simply watching some nerd **** happen on colorful pages. it's art, yo
    Last edited by Elmo; 03-19-2019 at 08:20 PM.

I grew up in the 80s. By the time I was 15, there were books like The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, The Killing Joke, Hellblazer, Groo, Andy Helfer's The Shadow, Love and Rockets, Deadline etc.

Honestly, comics started to be a bit cool.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I didn't start comics until my sophomore year of high school (1980).

At school, there weren't a lot of us comic book nerds, but we didn't hide it, and no one bothered us specifically for that. I also went to a high school where several of the football team were D&D players, which is probably weird. No one seemed to care. There were a ton of other reasons people ostracized others (too short, too dark, too poor, too alive, etc.).

The worst I got was an occasional, "You're still reading things things," from my stepdad. And to my grandmother and great-grandmother, they were always called "funny books" and ignorantly dismissed.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 03-20-2019 at 05:29 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I didn't start comics until my sophomore year of high school (1980).

At school, there weren't a lot of us comic book nerds, but we didn't hide it, and no one bothered us specifically for that. I also went to a high school where several of the football team were D&D players, which is probably weird. No one seemed to care. There were a ton of other reasons people ostracized others (too short, too dark, too poor, too alive, etc.).

The worst I got was an occasional, "You're still reading things things," from my stepdad. And to my grandmother and great-grandmother, they were always called "funny books" and ignorantly dismissed.
    We didn't play a lot of pen and paper D&D but I remember having huge discussions about Balder's Gate when it was released. Our team used to have LAN parties all the time so we could play co-op.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

No one cared, but a lot of people I knew growing up enjoyed X-Men TAS and Batman TAS, so there was a passing interest.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It's tough to pick an option. I grew up in the 70s. I actually graduated HS the same year as the That 70's Show characters. I can't say comics were frowned upon, but they weren't exactly a respectable hobby then. They were definitely something you were expected to outgrow. i DID KNOW A few fans who were basically a source for back issues. This was before most comic shops.
    I'm having the same problem picking an option. Like you, I grew up in the '70s (though I started high school in '79) - comics were accepted and encouraged by my parents, but for most adults it was considered strictly for kids (still is in the mainstream today). I even stopped buying comics for quite a while due to peer pressure in my sophomore year in 1981, though I still read my buddy's in the interim.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Comics weren't an issue. My folks were glad that I had a hobby I enjoyed, and living in a small town it kept my pockets empty enough that I couldn't take up drugs. Most of friends could appreciate comics, but weren't nearly as active readers. They'd check out a specific trade off of a recommendation or pick up a floppy from a news rack with me if we hung out. But well, if you're not getting on the beer and blow in Newfoundland... You're mostly a social outcast as a teenager. So I didn't have a lot of friends. Probably not only due to the fact that the hobby always drained my funds (I was kind of an *******) but it played a part.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Boisterously Confused

I wish the survey tool allowed collecting some demographics, like age, population density of where you grew up. The sample's too small, but it would be cool to cross tab some of those factors with the various responses.