Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default Who is currently the best writer in DC Comics

Name a writer or you can say 'No one'.

Nobody is killing it like Morrison on TGL, in my opinion.

Christopher Priest from last I read, but I've been sitting out the end of his Deathstroke to read in one go.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Morrison on GL, He still is the best out there, IMO
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Priest on Deathstroke.

Extraordinary Member

I read GL #10 and was stunned by the brilliance, but I just can't get in to GL, whereas the few issues of Deathstroke I have read over this run have made me a fan so my vote goes to:
    Priest.

Sholly Fisch

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Nobody is killing it like Morrison on TGL, in my opinion.
    This. Then waaaaay down the valley is Johns. And then the abyss.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Cecil Castelucci, Grant Morrison, Gerard Way, Chris Priest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Name a writer or you can say 'No one'.
    Geoff Johns
    Tom King

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Scott Snyder

I don't know who's actually the best but Snyder's the only one that still gives me hype

Followed by Tomasi

His story is more subtle so it's not immediately hype. He has spoiler hype. I'm hyped after seeing his spoilers, but just the preview alone I wasn't that interested.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-20-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Morrison has already cemented himself as one of the all-time greatest writers to ever work in comics. However, he's kind of off doing his own thing with The Green Lantern and Wonder Woman: Earth One, so I wouldn't really say he's heavily involved in the direction of the DCU right now. Same deal for Geoff Johns, who is off in his own corner doing great stuff with Doomsday Clock and Shazam, but also seems to have checked out of being of the main architects of the DCU (aside from the obvious importance of Doomsday Clock to whatever continuity reshuffle they end up doing).

As to the creators doing multiple DC books, it depends on the week. Bendis has done some really great work. He has his misfires no doubt, but he has more hits than misses. Tom King is in the same boat. He swings big, but, when he whiffs it, as he did with Heroes in Crisis and his Batman run's overlong wallowing in misery, it's a real drag, but his successes, like Mister Miracle, prove that he's absolutely one of the best in industry.

Scott Snyder is clearly very passionate about his work, but he has a much worse track record. When his stuff works though, boy is it awesome. Mark Russell & Tom Taylor are doing consistently great work. Tomasi is also very good, but it's dependent on the character for me. I have no interest whatsoever in his Detective Comics stuff because I don't like serious grim Batman stuff. The original Super-Sons was great though, as was his Superman, even if it got pretty bad near the end because they were so burnt out by the twice monthly schedule.

Retired

THE GREEN LANTERN is the only book that's really holding my interest right now, so I have to go with Grant Morrison. I actually like his writing more now than when he was writing ANMAL MAN all those years ago.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    THE GREEN LANTERN is the only book that's really holding my interest right now, so I have to go with Grant Morrison. I actually like his writing more now than when he was writing ANMAL MAN all those years ago.
    No doubt that Morrison has grown leaps and bounds since his early days. He was already ambitious and challenging back then, but he's never been content to repeat himself.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Morrison has already cemented himself as one of the all-time greatest writers to ever work in comics. However, he's kind of off doing his own thing with The Green Lantern and Wonder Woman: Earth One, so I wouldn't really say he's heavily involved in the direction of the DCU right now. Same deal for Geoff Johns, who is off in his own corner doing great stuff with Doomsday Clock and Shazam, but also seems to have checked out of being of the main architects of the DCU (aside from the obvious importance of Doomsday Clock to whatever continuity reshuffle they end up doing).

As to the creators doing multiple DC books, it depends on the week. Bendis has done some really great work. He has his misfires no doubt, but he has more hits than misses. Tom King is in the same boat. He swings big, but, when he whiffs it, as he did with Heroes in Crisis and his Batman run's overlong wallowing in misery, it's a real drag, but his successes, like Mister Miracle, prove that he's absolutely one of the best in industry.

Scott Snyder is clearly very passionate about his work, but he has a much worse track record. When his stuff works though, boy is it awesome. Mark Russell & Tom Taylor are doing consistently great work. Tomasi is also very good, but it's dependent on the character for me. I have no interest whatsoever in his Detective Comics stuff because I don't like serious grim Batman stuff. The original Super-Sons was great though, as was his Superman, even if it got pretty bad near the end because they were so burnt out by the twice monthly schedule.
    I mean, yeah, if we're looking at writers who are best for determining the direction of the DCU, Bendis is definitely the man. And who saw that coming?!

Snyder seems to be the writer doing that most right now and that's a huge pity. His more grounded work when he first joined DC was consistently great but I haven't had any interest in reading any of his work in years. I almost tried his Justice League but stuff like the multiple forces is enough to make me glad I didn't. It's just so weird. He seems intent to write completely against his strengths with no sign of getting back to what he once did best.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.