Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

While he can't seem to stay on schedule, it remains Geoff Johns.

Mighty Member

Tom King.
    Next I'd say Brian Hill. Simone if she counts.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    While he can't seem to stay on schedule, it remains Geoff Johns.
    Wow, yeah, I forgot about Johns. Especially because Doomsday Clock is career-best work from him.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Brian Michael Bendis, who has just busted into DC and written the best Superman comics ever.
    WHO DAT?!!

After Morrison--that's just obvious--I am enjoying Snyder and JTIV's contributions to superhero lore far more than Johns's. And I buy whatever Mark Russell writes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I’m going to have to say ‘no one’ for now.
    Absolutely agree. I have never been so turned off of DC as I am now days.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Name a writer or you can say 'No one'.
    Geoff Johns
    Tom King

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Scott Snyder

I don't know who's actually the best but Snyder's the only one that still gives me hype

Followed by Tomasi

His story is more subtle so it's not immediately hype. He has spoiler hype. I'm hyped after seeing his spoilers, but just the preview alone I wasn't that interested.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-20-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Morrison has already cemented himself as one of the all-time greatest writers to ever work in comics. However, he's kind of off doing his own thing with The Green Lantern and Wonder Woman: Earth One, so I wouldn't really say he's heavily involved in the direction of the DCU right now. Same deal for Geoff Johns, who is off in his own corner doing great stuff with Doomsday Clock and Shazam, but also seems to have checked out of being of the main architects of the DCU (aside from the obvious importance of Doomsday Clock to whatever continuity reshuffle they end up doing).

As to the creators doing multiple DC books, it depends on the week. Bendis has done some really great work. He has his misfires no doubt, but he has more hits than misses. Tom King is in the same boat. He swings big, but, when he whiffs it, as he did with Heroes in Crisis and his Batman run's overlong wallowing in misery, it's a real drag, but his successes, like Mister Miracle, prove that he's absolutely one of the best in industry.

Scott Snyder is clearly very passionate about his work, but he has a much worse track record. When his stuff works though, boy is it awesome. Mark Russell & Tom Taylor are doing consistently great work. Tomasi is also very good, but it's dependent on the character for me. I have no interest whatsoever in his Detective Comics stuff because I don't like serious grim Batman stuff. The original Super-Sons was great though, as was his Superman, even if it got pretty bad near the end because they were so burnt out by the twice monthly schedule.

Retired

THE GREEN LANTERN is the only book that's really holding my interest right now, so I have to go with Grant Morrison. I actually like his writing more now than when he was writing ANMAL MAN all those years ago.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    THE GREEN LANTERN is the only book that's really holding my interest right now, so I have to go with Grant Morrison. I actually like his writing more now than when he was writing ANMAL MAN all those years ago.
    No doubt that Morrison has grown leaps and bounds since his early days. He was already ambitious and challenging back then, but he's never been content to repeat himself.

Johns and Tomasi.

No one else though.

Obviously Grant is in a league (no pun intended) of his own. His GL has been another amazing addition to his already legendary resume.

I guess Snyder would be my second pick. I really didn’t like Metal and I dropped his Justice League after a few issues as I felt the start was ok but then it nose dived. But I jumped back on recently and it’s been an amazing book. Plus Last Knight on Earth has been great. Snyder is still up there.

Bendis has had some very good moments during his Superman run but the ridiculously decompressed storytelling has definitely decreased my enjoyment. I love the voice he has given to Superman. He’s both confident and at times self deprecating, he’s funny but doesn’t quip and doesn’t make a joke at someone else’s expense (except for Batman ). But the fact that the Rogal Zar situation still isn’t resolved is unforgivable. The guy destroyed Kandor and had some decent heat but then the story just kept spinning its wheels. I’m loving the Leviathan stuff. The “street level” characters have always been one of his strengths. So Bendis bringing back The Question and Manhunter is perfect.

Shazam and Doomsday Clock have been great but the insane delays have seriously dampened my enjoyment of both stories. Doomsday Clock will probably read well as a collected story. It’s a shame that all the delays have ruined most of the Rebirth plans.

It’s still too early but Rucka’s Lois Lane could potentially be another Gotham City Central. So that would definitely put him high on the list.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-20-2019 at 09:08 PM.

Christopher Priest, Brian Michael Bendis, Gene Luen Yang and Scott Snyder. I think Bryan Hill has potential but he needs more, and bigger, stories under his belt to get up there.

I really want to honestly say Morrison but I think he drank is own koolaid a bit too much and is getting too lost in his own sauce for me. his Green Lantern is fun and fine but it just kinda feels like Grant Morrison doing his "quirky" Grant Morrison thing and I can't shake the feeling that if it was exactly the same but didn't have such a stellar artist or Morrison's name on it, there wouldn't be the same fanfare around the book. I respect Grant Morrison but I think, like Start Wars and Christopher Nolan movies, despite everyone telling me how great it is, it just ain't for me
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-21-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Christopher Priest, Brian Michael Bendis, Gene Luen Yang and Scott Snyder. I think Bryan Hill has potential but he needs more, and bigger, stories under his belt to get up there.

I really want to honestly say Morrison but I think he drank is own koolaid a bit too much and is getting too lost in his own sauce for me. his Green Lantern is fine and fine but it just kinda feels like Grant Morrison doing his "quirky" Grant Morrison thing and I can't shake the feeling that if it was exactly the same but didn't have such a stellar artist or Morrison's name on it, there wouldn't be the same fanfare around the book. I respect Grant Morrison but I think, like Start Wars and Christopher Nolan movies, despite everyone telling me how great it is, it just ain't for me
    How about a Chris Nolan Star Wars movie? Double down!

Gotta be Grant Morrison. He promised me a cop procedural in space and Hal arrested God in issue #3.

Action Comics and Aquaman are my two most anticipated books every month currently so I'm going to say Bendis and KSD round out the top three for me, though I'm greatly enjoying Tynion on JL Dark as well.