Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

King and Bendis. Batman and Action are the books I look forward to the most each month.

Plus Bendis gets extra props for leading the Wonder Comics line, which brought back Young Justice and allowed Russell's Wonder Twins to see print.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

I'm glad Tomasi got a mention or two. I don't think he's the best writer DC has, but I think everything I've read from him (GL Corps, Batman & Robin, Superman, Detective Comics) has been rock solid. I mentioned this awhile back on the Batman board regarding his 'Tec run: his work doesn't usually have the dizzying heights of some of the bigger 'name' writers, but for me there's almost never any craters, either. Just good, steady superhero comics, and I've found I really dig that in our modern event/bombastic storytelling comic book world.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    King and Bendis. Batman and Action are the books I look forward to the most each month.

Plus Bendis gets extra props for leading the Wonder Comics line, which brought back Young Justice and allowed Russell's Wonder Twins to see print.

I have never read a Mark Russell comic I didn't like, and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of him till now. I'd love for him to get more mainstream work.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Nobody is killing it like Morrison on TGL, in my opinion.
    This. Then waaaaay down the valley is Johns. And then the abyss.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Cecil Castelucci, Grant Morrison, Gerard Way, Chris Priest

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Morrison has already cemented himself as one of the all-time greatest writers to ever work in comics. However, he's kind of off doing his own thing with The Green Lantern and Wonder Woman: Earth One, so I wouldn't really say he's heavily involved in the direction of the DCU right now. Same deal for Geoff Johns, who is off in his own corner doing great stuff with Doomsday Clock and Shazam, but also seems to have checked out of being of the main architects of the DCU (aside from the obvious importance of Doomsday Clock to whatever continuity reshuffle they end up doing).

As to the creators doing multiple DC books, it depends on the week. Bendis has done some really great work. He has his misfires no doubt, but he has more hits than misses. Tom King is in the same boat. He swings big, but, when he whiffs it, as he did with Heroes in Crisis and his Batman run's overlong wallowing in misery, it's a real drag, but his successes, like Mister Miracle, prove that he's absolutely one of the best in industry.

Scott Snyder is clearly very passionate about his work, but he has a much worse track record. When his stuff works though, boy is it awesome. Mark Russell & Tom Taylor are doing consistently great work. Tomasi is also very good, but it's dependent on the character for me. I have no interest whatsoever in his Detective Comics stuff because I don't like serious grim Batman stuff. The original Super-Sons was great though, as was his Superman, even if it got pretty bad near the end because they were so burnt out by the twice monthly schedule.
    I mean, yeah, if we're looking at writers who are best for determining the direction of the DCU, Bendis is definitely the man. And who saw that coming?!

Snyder seems to be the writer doing that most right now and that's a huge pity. His more grounded work when he first joined DC was consistently great but I haven't had any interest in reading any of his work in years. I almost tried his Justice League but stuff like the multiple forces is enough to make me glad I didn't. It's just so weird. He seems intent to write completely against his strengths with no sign of getting back to what he once did best.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I have never read a Mark Russell comic I didn't like, and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of him till now. I'd love for him to get more mainstream work.
    He has such a unique voice, though, that he is probably better off doing his own thing on the periphery.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    How about a Chris Nolan Star Wars movie? Double down!

Gotta be Grant Morrison. He promised me a cop procedural in space and Hal arrested God in issue #3.

Action Comics and Aquaman are my two most anticipated books every month currently so I'm going to say Bendis and KSD round out the top three for me, though I'm greatly enjoying Tynion on JL Dark as well.
    Hey, triple down, A Grant Morrison written Christopher Nolan directed Star Wars film, that may just be absurdly "prestige" enough to pushing all the way through the pretentious into awesomeness!

I forgot about Kelley Sue Deconnick's Aquaman, she's definitely a top 5 pick for me right now.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Christopher Priest, hands down.

He crafts a really complex story, without falling into the pitfalls plaguing other writers who attempts to do so (like King), namely he doesn't use (or overuse) shocking events to propel the story but build organically on each issue to develop his run. It may be hard to read at time, but one can never be let down or lost in his Deathstroke.

Sean Gordon Murphy also does an awesome job with his White Knight universe, but he isn't plotting ongoings or anything, so it's perhaps easier.

Bendis did some awesome work with Action Comics and Naomi, slightly less good but still appreciable with Superman and even Young Justice (I did not expect to like this book, it must be said).

Finally, Scott Snyder is doing great things, but he doesn't use complex storytelling tools; But his work is bombastic, funny and creepy in equal parts and I love everything he's adding to the Cosmogonic part of the DCU.

Amazing Member

A couple of my favorite DC books at the moment are Hawkman & Freedom Fighters, so I'd say Robert Venditti. (Morrison, Russell, Taylor, Johns, King, Bendis & Murphy as well but they have already been mentioned).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

As long as Morrison is writing at least one book connected to the main DCU, he is the best by default.

Johns is killing it on Doomsday Clock and Shazam....but the delays on both are a bitch. They will be great in trade, but it can kill the interest for the single issues.

It's a shame that the best of the previous "old guard" (Morrison, Johns and I'd add Rucka) are limited to one book or so each. Priest is the best after them and he needs more books.

Of the main current movers and shakers, Bendis, King and Snyder have their ups and downs. King in particular can be great or terrible, there is rarely an in between. He's best on a really minor property, one-shots or with a co-author like Seeley (who I'd love to have a regular gig on a flagship title) who can balance him out.,

Grant Morrison has been killing it on GL. I’ll admit he does get a little obscure and weird but he makes it work.

Scott Snyder is doing an excellent job with JL, the world building and epic scope of it all is miles ahead of where he was with Batman during the New 52. But, his hard on for the Batman Who Laughs is kinda holding him back.

Robert Venditti is doing Freedom Fighters and Hawkman which are two of the better DC Comics series in a long while. More people need to be picking these up.

Christopher Priest and his Deathstroke haven’t disappointed yet. Still trade collecting these and eagerly await each new volume.