Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why doesnt Johnny Storm have cancer?

Reading the older Fantastic Four I notice that Johnny is surrounded by asbestos. Asbestos Furniture, Clothes you name it. So why doesnt he have cancer? Would have been cool to do a storyline where all that asbestos made him sick.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

probably for the same reason Spider-Man shoots webs from his wrists and not his butt
    The J-man

Asbestos? The cosmic radiation should have killed them all!

But that's not something we want to read about.

All of the asbestos stuff has been retconned out except for the Asbestos Man, who got cancer and died.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Johnny's got some kind of thing happening when he flames on so he doesn't need to bathe and viruses die as per the latest Marvel Two-In-One series. I find it easier ot assume that protected him from any cancer.

A happy benefit from the cosmic radiation?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

It's probably for the same reason that they don't talk about Rick Jones being a ham-radio enthusiast and instead have him do computer stuff: anything obviously archaic is gradually retconned over time. When no one knew about the dangers of asbestos, the FF used asbestos. Once the dangers of asbestos became common knowledge, the FF quietly ceased to have ever used the stuff.

Mighty Member

The same reason that Spider-man doesn't have cancer despite radiations, Daredevil didn't have cancer despite being hit by toxic waste, Hulk didn't have cancer despite being hit by a gamma bomb... The Marvel universe don"t have the same rules than our world, they are super-heroes with a different physiology than humans... and it's a comics.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Because when he went super nova all of his cells became so hot no viruses could survive.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Reading the older Fantastic Four I notice that Johnny is surrounded by asbestos. Asbestos Furniture, Clothes you name it. So why doesnt he have cancer? Would have been cool to do a storyline where all that asbestos made him sick.
    My understanding of Asbestos is limited, but I would think it would be the same issue with asbestos flooring. As long as the asbestos fibers are not disturbed (made broken up and sent airborne) it won't hurt you.

Something to note. Johnny may not have ended up with cancer, but Firestar, a character created as an expy of him for the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon, did, as her powers are actually radiation based, unlike Johnny's which are ignition based.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Something to note. Johnny may not have ended up with cancer, but Firestar, a character created as an expy of him for the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon, did, as her powers are actually radiation based, unlike Johnny's which are ignition based.
    Firestar had cancer because the normal immunity from powers that mutants normally have wasn't working properly. As for Johnny, his power is remarkably similar to Sunfire's and is plasma based, whereas Angelica generates microwave radiation.

Extraordinary Member

Why don't all of the characters have cancer? Heck, Deadpool and Morbius the Living Vampire essentially have super-cancer!

Not everybody does get cancer. Not everybody has to.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Maybe for the same reason he has not died from third degree burns.
    This is a comic. A fiction. Also, the problem with the asbestos was probably discovered after those issues of Fantastic Four were written. This is the kind of reference you must look understanding the time when were written or just forget in any new revision of the history.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin