Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
Results 571 to 578 of 578
  1. #571
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    If they came out and said that movie was written by Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers and was getting Phil Lord and Chris Miller to direct, produce, and give final oversight over the script, I would lose my crap. That would be amazing, especially with such a cool concept for a third film set up after Far From Home.
    Were they the ones who wrote Into the Spider-Verse?

    And yeah, if Sony has the brains to put the Spider-Verse guys in charge of the live action films as well, I'd think many people would get over the loss of the MCU connections pretty well. It would at least ease concerns. Now whether the suits at Sony will do it? We can only pray.

  2. #572
    Incredible Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Were they the ones who wrote Into the Spider-Verse?

    And yeah, if Sony has the brains to put the Spider-Verse guys in charge of the live action films as well, I'd think many people would get over the loss of the MCU connections pretty well. It would at least ease concerns. Now whether the suits at Sony will do it? We can only pray.
    No. McKenna and Sommers were the guys that wrote the final drafts of Homecoming and Far From Home. I think it is good to ensure some franchise continuity, but get Lord and Miller in there to do something new, exciting, and fantastic and I think we have a real good film on our hands. If this split ends up being for good, Sony needs some good press coming their way for a third Holland Spider-Man film. You get those guys on board, who delivered the best critically rated Spider-Man film of all time, made The LEGO movie, a movie about building blocks, a hit, and made both 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, I think that Sony can really turn this bad press at least partially around and get a lot of naysayers at least curious.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  3. #573
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    No. McKenna and Sommers were the guys that wrote the final drafts of Homecoming and Far From Home. I think it is good to ensure some franchise continuity, but get Lord and Miller in there to do something new, exciting, and fantastic and I think we have a real good film on our hands. If this split ends up being for good, Sony needs some good press coming their way for a third Holland Spider-Man film. You get those guys on board, who delivered the best critically rated Spider-Man film of all time, made The LEGO movie, a movie about building blocks, a hit, and made both 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, I think that Sony can really turn this bad press at least partially around and get a lot of naysayers at least curious.
    Eh, I was not really impressed with the stories of either MCU film, they got anything better under their belts writing wise? Otherwise I'd rather just get the writers from Spider-Verse which had the best story to date I think.

  4. #574
    Incredible Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I was not really impressed with the stories of either MCU film, they got anything better under their belts writing wise? Otherwise I'd rather just get the writers from Spider-Verse which had the best story to date I think.
    That would be Lord and Miller actually. I think having them take the story idea and punch it up a bit would be really great. That and I think having them have creative input on all three of the main production areas would also mitigate any other potential interference by certain parties we might be concerned about.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

  5. #575
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    That would be Lord and Miller actually. I think having them take the story idea and punch it up a bit would be really great. That and I think having them have creative input on all three of the main production areas would also mitigate any other potential interference by certain parties we might be concerned about.
    Definitely, I want Lord and Miller in charge of all things Spidey/Marvel over at Sony over Rothman and co.

  6. #576
    Mighty Member Zeitgeist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    To be honest, I think we overestimate the impact of this situation on the bottom line.
    On the Sony/Marvel bust-up front, yeah, I doubt that affect the box office of whatever film Sony puts out next in their Spidey universe. I do think however that bad stink from a prior film is something that actually sticks.



    After all, if Venom痴 success were merely about the character痴 popularity, the second weekend drop would致e been more severe than a 56% drop, which is par the course for big movies. It would致e been more similar to Batman v. Superman, which dropped over 60% in its second weekend.
    So on what merits did it succeed, then? It split viewing audiences at best, it got panned critically - 'live action Venom' is the only thing that seems like it gave the film legs.
    Tom Hardy is a great actor and all but I don't think he can float a film on his name alone.

    This isn稚 to mention, of course, that the reputation of Holland痴 Spider-Man films are pretty good so far.
    Right, but that's associated primarily with Marvel Studios' involvement / the MCU rub, at least by your average fan. Average movie goer will probably be nonethewiser, granted.
    ♪ღ♪*.ククク.*ィ ィ*.ククク.*♪ღ♪ク.*ィ ィ*.ククク.*♪ღ♪*

    ♪ღ♪░M░E░P░H░I░S░T░O░ W░A░S░ R░I░G░H░T░♪ღ♪

    *♪ღ♪*.ククク.*ィ ィ*.ククク.*♪ク.*ィ ィ*.ククク.*♪ღ♪吻

  7. #577
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post

    Right, but that's associated primarily with Marvel Studios' involvement / the MCU rub, at least by your average fan. Average movie goer will probably be nonethewiser, granted.
    To my experience the average moviegoer doesn't travel in exclusive groups. Often one or two(in the group) are more comicbook savy and inform the others, often organising the trip. So while the XX% of people who see the movie might be generally uninformed about if Spider-Man is part of the MCU or not they rely on people that know. Of course these people don't have to be CBR people or close to that level of fans. They might just be following a twitter acoount or read from some facebook source about the news in comic-movies.

    The same when I see a, lets say, Star-wars movie. There's allways at least one person there who can bring me up to speed on theories or just refresh me memory. I enjoy a good Star wars movie but I don't spend much time between them either reading or thinking about them.

    So don't underestimate how wellinformed the general moviegoes are. If Sony ditches Disney and wants to connect it with Venom, Morbius and what else, then many viewers will have the conversation about witch movies that count or if Venom was a good movie before buying that ticket.

  8. #578
    Incredible Member TheDarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    On the Sony/Marvel bust-up front, yeah, I doubt that affect the box office of whatever film Sony puts out next in their Spidey universe. I do think however that bad stink from a prior film is something that actually sticks.
    I guess it depends. Sony does, from what we致e seen at least, have acknowledged their creative mis-steps. We haven稚 heard anything about a Sinister Six movie being rushed out. Venom 2 is getting a new director, screenwriter, and an Award winning cinematographer. And it comes out before any Spider-Man film with Venom would even start marketing.

    So on what merits did it succeed, then? It split viewing audiences at best, it got panned critically - 'live action Venom' is the only thing that seems like it gave the film legs.
    Tom Hardy is a great actor and all but I don't think he can float a film on his name alone.
    I don稚 know. Batman v. Superman seems like the kind of film that would have more of a novelty around it than a Venom film. Yet, Venom made almost as much as Batman v. Superman did, despite opening with less than half of where the latter film earned on its opening weekend. I think that we are really underestimating how much audiences actually enjoyed the film in order to fit our narrative that Sony can稚 be trusted.

    Right, but that's associated primarily with Marvel Studios' involvement / the MCU rub, at least by your average fan. Average movie goer will probably be nonethewiser, granted.
    I think that the first time they will understand things are different are that next Holland Spider-Man film. And I think Sony knows they have to deliver on that movie for sure. If they can succeed with a Spider-Man film anywhere near the level of Into the Spider-Verse, then I think the bet is that audiences won稚 really care that the MCU won稚 be referenced going forward.

    Of course, I think this is all moot anyway. I think that the only reason we heard about this is because of public negotiations. After all, Marvel Studios hasn稚 announced what films are releasing in February of 2022 and July 2022 yet. Sony hasn稚 announced any upcoming Spider-Man film or its director. I think we really need to start worrying once all that is announced.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

    Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •