Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Sony could not just leave well enough alone could they? And I know some aren't fans of MCU Spidey but just sit down and ask yourselves, do y'all really want the studio who screwed up his film franchise not once, but twice to have full creative control over him again?
    This is why I don't watch Spider-Man films.

So someone named KageX pointed this out over on the Spacebattles forum when I asked about how this will effect the Spider-Man ride in the upcoming Marvel Land Disney is building in California, but I thought it brought up a good point: "Disney owns literally everything but Movie Rights, including Merchandising and TV for all Spiderman characters. Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot as they now literally cannot sell Spidey Merchandise at all or license out its use without paying Disney, who instead of sharing the money will likely charge Sony through the nose."

It is a great point, but it also got me thinking about something else. As Disney owns the TV rights, do anyone think they could they do a live action Spider-Man show on Disney plus?
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-20-2019 at 02:50 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    It's low on Sony's part, bad for Disney and the MCU, and it's stupid.
    Yeah, but this is Disney's fault not Sony's. I think it's a little weird that people are siding with the greedier of the two corporations.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...nt-1203308069/

Thread title might need to be changed to "COULD end".

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post
    So someone named KageX pointed this out over on the Spacebattles forum when I asked about how this will effect the Spider-Man ride in the upcoming Marvel Land Disney is building in California, but I thought it brought up a good point: "Disney owns literally everything but Movie Rights, including Merchandising and TV for all Spiderman characters. Sony is really shooting themselves in the foot as they now literally cannot sell Spidey Merchandise at all or license out its use without paying Disney, who instead of sharing the money will likely charge Sony through the nose."

It is a great point, but it also got me thinking about something else. As Disney owns the TV rights, do anyone think they could they do a live action Spider-Man show on Disney plus?
    I imagine funding a live action Spider-man TV show is outside the budget Disney wants to spend on Disney plus shows

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    hes barely in their comics like why should that matter?
    To generate sales by introducing Carol and Jessica to the Spider-readers who would not otherwise pick up the series. This includes the She-Hulk and Jessica Jones. There is a lot to go around as Peter Parker and less on Spider-Man. The goal is for Marvel to figure it out. Not saying that Spider-Man has to be a regular cast member in those books. But as Peter Parker, he could serve in a supporting role due to his genius level intellect to help the protagonist.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Personally speaking, I just think it's B.S. that we now have two abruptly canceled Spider-Man movie incarnations in the midst of teasing plot threads to be further developed in future films that will apparently never be made. I guess that's what happens when corporates can't play nice and people make plans before they have all their ducks in a row.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah, but this is Disney's fault not Sony's. I think it's a little weird that people are siding with the greedier of the two corporations.
    Because people know that this was Sony’s plan from the start - milk the success of the MCU and utilise Feige to make a great Spider-Man whilst creating their own movies to eventually suck Spider-Man back into with Venom and co. Any and Tom haven’t exactly been subtle about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Possibly, but as Variety said, Deadline broke the story and have the exclusive. Deadline and Variety are the two industry trade papers and generally better at this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    I imagine funding a live action Spider-man TV show is outside the budget Disney wants to spend on Disney plus shows
    If they do that, they won't have Tom Holland. Tom Holland's contract is with Sony and not Disney-Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Personally speaking, I just think it's B.S. that we now have two abruptly canceled Spider-Man movie incarnations in the midst of teasing plot threads to be further developed in future films that will apparently never be made. I guess that's what happens when corporates can't play nice and people make plans before they have all their ducks in a row.
    That's kind of how anything works. Like Iron Man 1 announced the Avengers before Marvel Studios was in a position to deliver on that.

In any case, Spider-Man was always going to be recast, updated and so on. It's okay for Iron Man to die with RDJ because Tony Stark isn't great shakes as a character, but there will always be a Spider-Man and so on.

That at least gives some hope here. I’m really hoping that they can reach some kind of deal here because frankly, this has been beneficial to both sides and to quite a bit of the fandom at large. Sony has got to see that even with their Venom success that it still didn’t gross what Spider-Man did, something that they only achieved with the help of Disney. I can only imagine the backlash on both sides if this does end.

Even if a deal is reached, this is a bad precedent. If they do reach a deal for one more movie, expect it to be the last one set in the MCU. After that, both studios will part ways. Marvel can't risk keep introducing Spider-Man elements that could be removed at any time.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-20-2019 at 03:02 PM.

I wasn't a big fan of MCU Spider-Man in the first place, so i'm not especially sorry about this. But still, it kind of sucks for this version fans.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The best hope is that the Sony CEOs see the error of this decision and veto any walkaway, I suppose.

I also worry what this means for the next Spider-Man game from Insomniac if promotion is all out of whack via Perlmutter.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Because people know that this was Sony痴 plan from the start - milk the success of the MCU and utilise Feige to make a great Spider-Man whilst creating their own movies to eventually suck Spider-Man back into with Venom and co. Any and Tom haven稚 exactly been subtle about it.
    Amy Pascal is in Universal now but I'm sure she knew this will happen so she jumped ship before she got implicated lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Because people know that this was Sony’s plan from the start
    Make the MCU work for it. Duh, yeah. That was always the plan. That's what the deal was about right from the get-go.

and utilise Feige to make a great Spider-Man
    I am sure Feige had some input into the Spider-Man MCU movies but people forget that Feige didn't agree to the casting of Tom Holland, and had no say and involvement in the casting of Keaton and others. He also talked about how much Amy Pascal and others defined what people liked in Homecoming:

"I will tell you, I haven’t brought it up before, is we wanted a ground level villain. We wanted a villain to parallel Peter’s journey of what’s it like to be a normal person in this world. And an example that Amy [Pascal] used and it became a touch point ... was a film by Akira Kurosawa called High and Low, which I hadn’t seen before. And that we watched a number of times. And other than just exposing me to a great movie I’d never seen, which I appreciated ... it was a great touch point of inspiration from Amy about somebody who looks up at a wealthy person almost in a tower every day in their life and feels the need to respond to that in a villainous way.”
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-20-2019 at 03:03 PM.