Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    nothing Spider-Man is bigger than the x-men and fantastic four Marvel Comics would be stupid to try to cancel his book although I could see them limiting the other varations of the character not including Miles and maybe gwen unsure how she compares to miles and peter in terms of sales
    That's exactly one of my fears.
    But Spidey is not immune either. Some years ago, Marvel tried to promote the Inhumans as the next X-Men and ended up almost completely destroying both properties and we all know why Marvel axed the F4 a while back.

And what makes me shiver is the name of the man who will be handling anything cinematic for Spidey along with Pascal.
    Tom Rothman. I am pretty sure many Deadpool fans know him all but very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    That's exactly one of my fears.
    But Spidey is not immune either. Some years ago, Marvel tried to promote the Inhumans as the next X-Men and ended up almost completely destroying both properties and we all know why Marvel axed the F4 a while back.

And what makes me shiver is the name of the man who will be handling anything cinematic for Spidey along with Pascal.
    Tom Rothman. I am pretty sure many Deadpool fans know him all but very well.
    I dont know anything about Tom Rothman what did he tried to do with Deadpool? Also im not sure how marvel comics gets their money now but im pretty sure Spider-man is among their top 2 or at least 5 so I dont think they will go out of their way to ruin his character even more than they already did. Plus if marvel was that petty they would've done that since the says of the Amazing Spider-man series
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Talk about overkill. One link probably would have sufficed.
    Always overkill when people ask for links. Otherwise you will have to deal with stuff "that's just one opinion" though and so on. Sometimes one link is enough, sometimes not. In this case, the idea of Sony Interactive Entertainment a.k.a. PlayStation also competing for attention from Sony Corporation needs a lot of context. People forget that the PS3 was a big failure compared to PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Always overkill when people ask for links. Otherwise you will have to deal with stuff "that's just one opinion" though and so on. Sometimes one link is enough, sometimes not. In this case, the idea of Sony Interactive Entertainment a.k.a. PlayStation also competing for attention from Sony Corporation needs a lot of context. People forget that the PS3 was a big failure compared to PS2.
    glad you did cause most of the time you been spitting out facts and sometimes I find them a little hard to believe going to start giving you the benefit of the doubt a little more now
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I dont know anything about Tom Rothman what did he tried to do with Deadpool?
    He hates Superhero films and kept Deadpool locked out of development for years until the leaked test footage.

BANNED

Tom Rothman outside of his superhero work for which fans know (and blame him for) is also responsible for producing a number of independent films and has worked with Jim Jarmusch and others. He was at Fox when he greenlit Titanic and so on. He's worked with Jarmusch, Spielberg, Cameron and others.

Don't know what he's like in personal life but that's a pretty solid resume as a producer. So the idea that he's a dimwit because some fans have issues with the X-Men movies or whatnot, isn't fair.

A lot of smart people have been wrong about what could or could not be hits. And thinking that Deadpool would be unprofitable was sound reasoning. I mean on paper it should have failed. Everyone thought or expected it to be. And in any case, it drove Ryan Reynolds to make it for low-budget and creativity and that worked to Deadpool's aesthetic and advantage way more than if it got studio money (and so big studio interference).

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

. People forget that the PS3 was a big failure compared to PS2.
    PS2 sold 158m consoles I don't think that'll be replicated but PS3 is so much better imo.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Disney killed Spectacular Spider-Man when they bought out Marvel. The minute they did that, Sony had to renegotiate rights issues and that led to the loss of cartoons at standard length.
    As I recall, what happened was that the contract ran out and Sony had to decide whether to return the film or TV rights to Disney and picked the former. Sucks that the cartoon was never resolved, but it is what it is.

You would have Tom Holland, Jonah Jameson played by JK Simmons, you would have Jacob Batalon's Ned, and all the teenage cast, Marisa Tomei and others. You would have New York. Just no Avengers, no Tony Stark and so on. Good riddance, is what I say to the last bit.
    So? Even if the non-MCU Spidey movie has the same cast and does a good job telling whatever story it does, it still means that the MCU Spidey story ends on an unresolved cliffhanger. Besides, I wanted that movie, not another reboot with or without the same cast.

Venom happens to be a pretty good movie you know.
    Not really. Good lead, but weak supporting cast and a badly paced story. Hope the sequel is better.

If you mean Spider-Man 3, read the credits. It's the only Spider-Man movie with Raimi as screenwriter. The stuff that people dislike in that movie - Sandman being Ben's killer, Emo Peter's dance, and so on. All Raimi.
    Sony forced Venom into the movie. Whatever problems Raimi added to the movie, he was being required to jump through hoops that made the movie suffer (and I'm like one of the only people who thought the movie turned out pretty well, all things considered).

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

Confirmed much of what I said earlier. Also that the original article is written by a well known Sony lackey
    Midnight's Edge is not a reliable source of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The response that Sony made the best Spiderman movies and need to get the right people again is louder. Obviously, every newfeed outlet is trying to kill that response.
    Some of us also remember how Sony also makes the worst Spider-Man movies and has a track record of undermining the right people when they get them.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

A good analysis of the situation as it stands and surmising on the future:

https://cinemasangha.com/2019/08/21/...man-mishigoss/

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Hey, this works in reverse!

Astonishing Member

What I'm most curious about is why does this development necessarily mean that the MCU is done with Spider-Man and vice-versa.

As far as I'm aware, the issue is Kevin Feige's participation. So even if he doesn't produce the Sony Spider-Man films, there's no reason why they can't come to some kind of agreement just on having characters appear in each other's movies.

I think an arrangement like that could potentially be a win-win, creatively. Spider-Man could guest-star in the occasional MCU film. And MCU characters could guest-star in the occasional Spider-Man film, which can now focus on building his own mythos as a solo character.

Back in the day, Marvel and Sony were apparently on the verge of a deal to have Garfield's Spider-Man appear in the MCU. So anything's possible!

Spectacular Member

Raimi is as responsible as any for Spider-Man 3 failing.

http://comiccritics.com/2010/01/31/i...day-joke-here/

If you have a movie with Venom and want it to be darker and more intense, I think that fits the material and is in keeping with it.

And in any case, Venom is Spider-Man's third biggest enemy after Goblin and Doctor Octopus. Everyone would logically expect him in to be in the third movie.
    You miss the point. If the studio forces you to write something you don’t want to do,
    the result being bad is not a surprise.

Sony wanted the humor taken out of the FIRST movie.

“in any case, Venom is Spider-Man's third biggest enemy after Goblin and Doctor Octopus. Everyone would logically expect him in to be in the third movie”

Yeah... that’s not how logic works.

Astonishing Member

MCU Spider-Man has been extremely underwhelming for me so I'm not really bothered much at all by this news. I will say that I'm a bit disappointed there's now a possibility that I will never see Spider-Man interact with heroes like the Fantastic Four, X-Men, & to a much lesser extent Deadpool on the big screen like he's done so many times in the comics but I always prefer to focus at what I got over what I could've got, and what I've got out of this arrangement has been a decent portrayal of Spider-Man in Civil War and the big two Avenger films, as well as two above average solo films. I still got to see Spider-Man interact with other heroes like RDJ's Iron Man, Chris Evans’s Captain America, and Benedict Cumberbatch's Strange. So if this is truly the endgame(see what I did there?) of this partnership then all I could say is it was fun while it lasted.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 08-21-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.