Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    why should disney care about animation when they have pixar and the multiple animation movies they put out each year? Although based on that variety article from the Sony Ceo they are pretty confident they will be fine without the mcu. I want to know how Morbius will perform cause that a movie without spider-man and/or venom in it
    The Venom movie was an out of the blue surprise at the box office but maybe people shouldn't have been surprised because it was Hardy and he draws. I fully expect Morbius to have a pretty good shot too considering the cast they have lined up. Matt Smith, Jared Leto as vampires? I'll be there first week.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

I think Venom won out because, well, people just like Venom. It's a bizarrely popular character. Morbius is...umm...well, less calling him just less popular would be unfair to Venom.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

It's probably been mentioned in this thread before, but do either Sony or Disney realize that there are numbers between five and fifty?
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I fully expect Morbius to have a pretty good shot too considering the cast they have lined up. Matt Smith, Jared Leto as vampires? I'll be there first week.
    Neither of those two have ever been box-office draws. Outside of low-budget movies, most of the movies either of them have starred in have been bombs. Leto's most successful movie is Suicide Squad, and his Joker left a lot to be desired. SS was successful for the same reason Venom was: mediocre movies with actors with enough charisma to carry it (in SS's case, Robbie and Smith, but definitely not Leto).

The Venom movie was an out of the blue surprise at the box office but maybe people shouldn't have been surprised because it was Hardy and he draws. I fully expect Morbius to have a pretty good shot too considering the cast they have lined up. Matt Smith, Jared Leto as vampires? I'll be there first week.
    I doubt it. The days of a single actor being a draw are almost over and Hardy while a great actor isn't known for being enough of a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I doubt it. The days of a single actor being a draw are almost over and Hardy while a great actor isn't known for being enough of a draw.
    Yeah, people don't much want to be "movie stars" anymore, or look up to them quite the same way.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    It's probably been mentioned in this thread before, but do either Sony or Disney realize that there are numbers between five and fifty?
    This was genuinelly hilarious. Thank you. It was a much needed comedic break from what has honestly been a confusing and stressful situation.

Amazing Member

Does anyone know if we should trust Mikey Sutton ( A writer for Comicbookmovie.com )? He claims that Sony is lying about the deal being closed and I just don't know who to put my faith in

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hardy is why people enjoyed Mad Max. Hardy is responsible for Leo finally getting an Oscar.

And in the MCU, all of its success is due to Robert Downey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseBeFeige View Post
    Does anyone know if we should trust Mikey Sutton ( A writer for Comicbookmovie.com )? He claims that Sony is lying about the deal being closed and I just don't know who to put my faith in
    I don稚 think you need to trust him necessarily to feel like it isn稚 over. The trades kept reporting after the split that each side would致e accepted compromises on their initial figures. By the end of the trade stories that week, we heard that Sony would致e given up 25% of the franchise revenue and same with Disney. My guess is that neither side wants to say anything remotely definitive so they don稚 lose leverage in the ongoing negotiations as they relate to length (how many movies, years, etc.) and breadth (just Spider-Man or other characters too). I mean, Feige痴 comments were even more definitive than Sony痴. I think it値l be okay. The day we start worrying is the day they find a director and schedule the movie. The fact that hasn稚 happened yet leads me to believe that they are still negotiating privately.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Hardy is why people enjoyed Mad Max. Hardy is responsible for Leo finally getting an Oscar.

Charlize Theron got just as much praise for Mad Max as Hardy did, if not more so.

RDJ might have helped kick off the MCU but he is not the only reason it is successful. Black Panther and the Guardians movies did not need Iron Man to gain critical acclaim and financial success.

actors power = bums on seats has been diminishing over the last few years

and even though rdj and hardy are both popular...i wouldn’t say they have the same box office draw
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I think Venom won out because, well, people just like Venom. It's a bizarrely popular character. Morbius is...umm...well, less calling him just less popular would be unfair to Venom.
    Also being the only comic book movie in October helped it. I mean, what was even its competition? Heck if I remember. Sony would do well to just try and own the less movie packed months like October and November.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    The day we start worrying is the day they find a director and schedule the movie.
    Wouldn't that be the day we stop worrying?

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    actors power = bums on seats has been diminishing over the last few years

and even though rdj and hardy are both popular...i wouldn’t say they have the same box office draw
    Yah its diminishing. But still valid for a handful of actors.

Astonishing Member

What baloney. Leo is responsible for Leo getting an Oscar. Leo is still a bigger B.O. draw than Hardy.

Also, how can you attribute “all” of the MCU’s success to RDJ? He’s a big part of it, but are you telling me Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Sam L, ScarJo, Tom H., Pratt, etc. played no part? C’mon...