Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Why is this objectively wrong statement parroted so much? I see it everywhere.
    Please point out any factual error from my post.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    How did it serve the MCU well? By giving Stark a lapdog? Spider-Man is so much more than that. It served Civil War after that Homecoming should have been about Peter becoming Spider-MAN, escaping Stark’s shadow, rejecting his authority and becoming his own man. The Stan Lee Spidey was an outsider, he was a bit arroagnt but he was his own boss from day one. Spider-Man if portrayed correctly would leave Iron Man in the dust both at the box office and as a hero.
    I really don't get some of the complaints against MCU Spidey.

It's not as if Spider-Man hasn't idolised other heroes like the Fantastic Four before. Hell, he was Stark's "lapdog" for a time during the Civil War event. Plus he's wanted to be an Avengers badly before and has been one. What did you expect, that Spidey in the MCU would simply have no interaction with other heroes just because you're used to seeing a movie Spider-Man be a loner?

Plus it was obvious that Jon Watts was building to Spider-Man becoming his own hero. Throughout Homecoming he rejects Tony's commands and takes matters into his own hands. He rejected being announced as a new Avenger. When Tony gave him the honorary title of Avenger during Infinity War, it was when he (again) rejected Tony's orders to stay on Earth and do what is right. Peter has these values and even though some people want to see Uncle Ben get shot so badly just to prove it, it's obvious these values don't come from Stark and from someone else. Far From Home took this even further by establishing that Peter has to forget trying to live up to Tony's legacy and instead focus on being his own person.

People want to praise Sony, sure go ahead, but as we know they had final creative input and Amy Pascal produced these films. If Sony loved Spidey being a loner so much then why did allow Feige and co to do whatever they wanted in that regard? It wouldn't surprise me if they specifically wanted Peter to be connected to the MCU in this way. Sony only made Peter so dependent on himself because they didn't have access to any other characters except Spidey-related ones.

I think Spider-Man 2 and Into The Spider-Verse are superior stories to MCU Spidey stuff (and Spider-Man PS4 trumps them all), but even I can see this is where nostalgia is setting in. People have gotten too used to the idea of Spider-Man being by himself that seeing him interact on screen with other characters is still much of a shock. The same thing will happen with the X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I hope they reboot quickly. I like origins a lot, and I'm bored of the MCU.
    Cool, can't wait to see Uncle Ben die again. That's exactly what the 4th big screen iteration needs to bring in the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Cool, can't wait to see Uncle Ben die again. That's exactly what the 4th big screen iteration needs to bring in the crowds.
    I like it.

Please point out any factual error from my post.
    Someone else already did.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

Yes, Spidey was characterized as a loner but he - because of the character's popularity - has nonetheless never been marginalized from the rest of the MU.
    Yet in 95% of his best stories he Is by himself fighting the badguys all by his lonesome.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

Blind Wedjat I値l reply tmr.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I really don't get some of the complaints against MCU Spidey.

It's not as if Spider-Man hasn't idolised other heroes like the Fantastic Four before. Hell, he was Stark's "lapdog" for a time during the Civil War event. Plus he's wanted to be an Avengers badly before and has been one. What did you expect, that Spidey in the MCU would simply have no interaction with other heroes just because you're used to seeing a movie Spider-Man be a loner?

Plus it was obvious that Jon Watts was building to Spider-Man becoming his own hero. Throughout Homecoming he rejects Tony's commands and takes matters into his own hands. He rejected being announced as a new Avenger. When Tony gave him the honorary title of Avenger during Infinity War, it was when he (again) rejected Tony's orders to stay on Earth and do what is right. Peter has these values and even though some people want to see Uncle Ben get shot so badly just to prove it, it's obvious these values don't come from Stark and from someone else. Far From Home took this even further by establishing that Peter has to forget trying to live up to Tony's legacy and instead focus on being his own person.

People want to praise Sony, sure go ahead, but as we know they had final creative input and Amy Pascal produced these films. If Sony loved Spidey being a loner so much then why did allow Feige and co to do whatever they wanted in that regard? It wouldn't surprise me if they specifically wanted Peter to be connected to the MCU in this way. Sony only made Peter so dependent on himself because they didn't have access to any other characters except Spidey-related ones.

I think Spider-Man 2 and Into The Spider-Verse are superior stories to MCU Spidey stuff (and Spider-Man PS4 trumps them all), but even I can see this is where nostalgia is setting in. People have gotten too used to the idea of Spider-Man being by himself that seeing him interact on screen with other characters is still much of a shock. The same thing will happen with the X-Men.
    It honestly kinda reminds me of the ‘Should Spider-Man Be an Avenger?’ threads where people would keep parroting the same narrative that Spider-Man is a loner and should never be on a team when in reality that couldn’t be further from the truth. Yes Spider-Man can function on his own but one of the great fun things about him is his relationships to other heroes. It just makes the whole thing feel more real and rounded. I don’t know why people would want to send Spider-Man back into isolation as it’s more of a prison than a paradise.

Spectacular Member

the MCU use of Spider-man on a team isn't the issue.. in the Avengers appearances, he's only there because of Tony Stark. Tony Stark is the issue. He's not really interacting or even friends with other Avengers. I get that he's a teenager but because of that, the MCU version isn't what I prefer because Spider-man is not treated like I think he should be treated. He's one of the most powerful, capable heroes in Marvel History. The MCU basically made him Tony's sidekick who yeah he gets to do other things on his own and be cool but never did I feel with the Avengers that he's treated as an equal. When he should be.

BANNED

He didn't make any allegations about Disney/Marvel executives mistreating him. Yet you seem to accept that as fact.
    Why would he make allegations about Disney/Marvel? This is his daughter opinion about Disney and what she experienced from Disney after his death.

Astonishing Member

He tried to join the FF for monetary reasons, once he realised it was non profit he thought screw this.
    And there痴 a BIG difference between the occasional team up vs Spidey flying around in a Quinjet, having all your suits being made by Stark, infused with Stark tech, having Happy as a sidekick. Jeez. Stan portrayed him as being distrusted by half the public / superheroes and being constantly broke in the 1960痴 comics, that stuff helped define the essense of the character. MCU had none of that. And that痴 not even touching on how MCU Spidey gave us a guilt free Peter who never even thinks of Uncle Ben. MCU Spidey has nothing in common with Stan痴 creation.
    An occasional team up? He was the star of Marvel Team Up. That's more than occasional.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Why would he make allegations about Disney/Marvel? This is his daughter opinion about Disney and what she experienced from Disney after his death.
    Is it just her opinion now? Why have you been acting like it's fact?

Astonishing Member

Yet in 95% of his best stories he Is by himself fighting the badguys all by his lonesome.
    He had a monthly team up title. It ran for 150 issues, and 7 annuals. Then there was a series literally called "Spider-Man Team Up". Your 95% figure is a tad exaggerated.

BANNED

Is it just her opinion now? Why have you been acting like it's fact?
    All I did was supply the link to the article, how you interpreted it has nothing to do with me.

This is true, same thing for x-men. let's all face what we already know is true. The crossover cinematic universe are only good for marvel characters noone ever heard about before the films.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Actually, no, the idea actually came from the misunderstood comments by Jackman who said the film is a “slightly different universe.”

https://comicbook.com/2017/01/21/hug...niverse-x-men/

The outlets initially misunderstood his comments to mean he was implying the film took place in a different universe but what he truly meant was that the movie is a fresh spin on the same universe that shows it in a light that is distinct and unique from all the other X-Men movies before it. He never meant that the film literally took place in a alternate universe. He also says it’s different in terms of timeline which is more of his way of saying the film explores a period of time(the distant future in this case) that sets it apart from all the previous X-films.
    No, this was after that:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-17315

Make of that what you will.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)