Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The best hope is that the Sony CEOs see the error of this decision and veto any walkaway, I suppose.
    Sony as in the actual corporation of which Sony Pictures, Sony Interactive Entertainment (aka Playstation), Sony Electronics are various sub-divisions doesn't work that way.

Each vertical is kind of semi-autonomous. The goal is "Make money and don't become so unprofitable that we earn more selling you off". Sony Pictures was on the verge of that happening numerous times. Spider-Man is all that they have to protect themselves from that.

I also worry what this means for the next Spider-Man game from Insomniac if promotion is all out of whack via Perlmutter.
    Sony Interactive Entertainment (aka Playstation) which recently bought Insomniac Games completely (just like it bought Naughty Dog and other studios) is a separate vertical from Sony Pictures. Marvel's gaming licenses are a different situation from movie licenses.

So relax. S.I.E. are not Electronic Arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    They made Spider-Man 1 (which still has the highest US gross of these movies, adjusted for inflation), and Spider-Man 2, and Spider-Man 3 (less so compared to the others), ITSV, Venom.

So yeah Sony doesn't really need luck to make a successful Spider-Man movie. The entire deal was about MCU working for Sony. And by the way, the casting of Tom Holland, the casting of Keaton, and even the whole concept of Vulture in Homecoming that people like...those were all made by Sony. So I don't think Kevin Feige ever had as much of a say in these movies as people like to think he did.

Perlmutter shafting the X-Men in favor of Inhumans happened before the Disney buyout. He has far less power now than he did before. However, he still has considerable say.

The Fox-X-Men deal was worse than the Sony one. In the case of Spider-Man, Disney Marvel get most of the money from merchandise and so on. So Spider-Man is still big. The only thing that Perlmutter might do is insist that Spider-Man stop being an Avenger and be confined to his own corner and so on...which would creatively be to Spider-Man's strength. The Shrared Universe has always been to Spider-Man's loss and rarely his profit. He is essentially a standalone character and works best that way.

I think this is Disney's fault more than Sony's.

According to the deal, Sony makes money only from MCU solo movies. So far Spider-Man has appeared in 5 MCU movies -- Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, and Spider-Man Homecoming and Spider-Man FFH. ON the whole, Marvel still made more money from that partnership.

This is just a stupid attempt to gobble more.

Tom Holland was cast by Sony. Tom Holland's contract is with Sony. So Tom Holland knows where his paycheck came from, and he knows he wasn't Kevin Feige's first choice and was nominated by Pascal and others. So he will be Spider-Man for the next couple of movies.

I don't think Sony felt like they had the choice. They need Spider-Man to survive as a studio, and that means most Spidey profits. Disney asking for 50% share from Spider-Man movies is a ridiculous move when you consider. Sony Pictures makes money from making movies. Disney doesn't. The motion picture business is only a small part of the Disney empire and they make very few movies and they own too many IP as it is.
    arent they planning to do a spider-man universe? Im pretty sure that Disney only asking for 50% of the movies they make with Sony although high is an overeaction couldn't they renegotiate it sound like they heard that 50% first offer and they decided to use it as an excuse to cancel the deal.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Lol! I知 smiling so hard right now.

I hated MCU Spider-Man so much. This is gonna piss off a lot of people though....but I was pissed off when I saw what Marvel did to Spider-Man. I just hope it works out for the best with Spidey going forward...
    I second this as I was never a fan of what the MCU Spider-man turned out to be. I am so glad this is over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    arent they planning to do a spider-man universe?
    Maybe Venom and the sequel and a Spider-Verse sequel.

Im pretty sure that Disney only asking for 50%
    "only". Disney keep all the profits from Spider-Man's appearances in Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame while Sony got very little to nothing from that. In exchange Sony got profits for the solo movies. Disney asking for "50%" leaves Sony with a loss. It can't be more profitable for a studio to not make Spider-Man movies than to make one.

Sony although high is an overeaction couldn't they renegotiate it sound like they heard that 50% first offer and they decided to use it as an excuse to cancel the deal.
    It takes two to tango. How low were Disney willing to bargain down from 50% and what other benefits were Sony going to get in the process?

Disney obviously isn't going to trade rights for characters. That would be counterintuitive to their goal of getting the rights of all characters back.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Lol! I’m smiling so hard right now.

I hated MCU Spider-Man so much. This is gonna piss off a lot of people though....but I was pissed off when I saw what Marvel did to Spider-Man. I just hope it works out for the best with Spidey going forward...
    I'm with you, my friend. Tony Stark Jr. and his not so lovable crew of second rate ripoffs are dead. What a wonderful day.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Why doesn't Disney buy the film rights for Spider-Man from Sony?
    For good or ill Sony won't sell 'em back that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Simply waiting for Morbius to premiere seems revenge enough.
    I'm not so sure about that after the unexpected success of Venom (few saw it coming lol).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    If Disney can give a price equivalent to an annual income of a $1Bn or the average of Spider-Man's movie gross on a yearly basis from now till the end of Sony Pictures life as a corporate entity...then that might be a starting point for the cost of buying back Spider-Man's movie rights.

Even Disney doesn't have that much money to spend.

Spectacular Member

Are the spin off shows still happening? The rights for spiderman are so confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Sectal View Post
    Are the spin off shows still happening? The rights for spiderman are so confusing
    yes that was originally sony plan anyway
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sectal View Post
    Let me explain. Spider-Man's movie rights are with Sony. Disney has rights to merchandise and cartoons and so on.

Sony can produce TV adaptations provided each episode is about 44 mins long. Either that means their own streaming service or they go to Netflix (which I think is what they will do).

So the spinoff shows if they are 44mins long and so on are still happening. And those are spinoffs of ITSV, which is not a Marvel-Disney movie.

In fact, the streaming issue might be part of what led to this break. Maybe Netflix offered a sweet deal to Sony for Spider-Man coming on Netflix.

So happy about this. I’ll take Spider-Verse and the Insomniac games over any MCU nonsense.

Maybe this time they’ll remember Ben and the Spidey sense.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

As said before and elsewhere, Spider-Man is really the only viable film franchise Sony has. Without the web-slinger, Sony has nothing else to keep its film division going. Marvel/Disney, on the other hand, can afford to walk away from Spider-Man films because they've built up a whole bunch of other characters and properties into a cohesive cinematic universe that can stand on its own. Spider-Man, crown jewel that he is of Marvel in the comics, is at this point just another branch of the Cinematic Universe that can be pruned without causing the whole tree to fall. Marvel/Disney might walk away with wounded pride that it couldn't secure complete control of Spider-Man in outside media, but its multibillion-dollar cinematic empire isn't going to collapse without him. In short, Marvel/Disney can afford to take an L (as they say nowadays) once in a while, but for Sony, this is more-or-less literally life-and-death as far as ownership of Spider-Man goes.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As said before and elsewhere, Spider-Man is really the only viable film franchise Sony has. Without the web-slinger, Sony has nothing else to keep its film division going. Marvel/Disney, on the other hand, can afford to walk away from Spider-Man films because they've built up a whole bunch of other characters and properties into a cohesive cinematic universe that can stand on its own. Spider-Man, crown jewel that he is of Marvel in the comics, is at this point just another branch of the Cinematic Universe that can be pruned without causing the whole tree to fall. Marvel/Disney might walk away with wounded pride that it couldn't secure complete control of Spider-Man in outside media, but its multibillion-dollar cinematic empire isn't going to collapse without him. In short, Marvel/Disney can afford to take an L (as they say nowadays) once in a while, but for Sony, this is more-or-less literally life-and-death as far as ownership of Spider-Man goes.
    My biggest fear is Disney will have Marvel Comics do to Spidey what they (Marvel Comics) did to X-Men during the feud with Fox.

My biggest fear is Disney will have Marvel Comics do to Spidey what they (Marvel Comics) did to X-Men during the feud with Fox.
    They won't. Marvel still has all the rights to the Spider-Man merchandise.