Page 25 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    That Variety article sounds like neither party is interested in renewing the deal.
    In that article it is even stated that Sony may have leaked it for better conditions on the deal.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BANNED

Whatever happens, I hope Tom Holland stays

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Whatever happens, I hope Tom Holland stays
    He said that he will
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/08...-marvel-split/
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Disappointed that Holland has appeared to surrender to this but I guess he doesn’t have much choice. The stupidity of trying to figure out how Sony are going to explain all the absences of MCU material between Happy and Stark Tech and SHIELD and explain away the identity reveal is just ridiculous, not to mention that even the inclusion of Holland will be enough to keep fans as strong as the first two movies.

And meanwhile Marvel and Disney are gonna have to decide exactly how to sell the very MCU focused Spidey content in Avengers Campus. Is Holland going to film promotional content or is that impossible now? If he doesn’t, how does that content work when it’s such an integral part of the new theme park?

Extraordinary Member

This is turning into the weirdest custody dispute I have seen in a long time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Disappointed that Holland has appeared to surrender to this but I guess he doesn’t have much choice.
    Between winning the twitter debate of a few fickle fans and the guaranteed cold hard cash of upcoming Spider-Man projects and commitments. Yeah that's a difficult choice for the age.

The stupidity of trying to figure out how Sony are going to explain all the absences of MCU material between Happy and Stark Tech and SHIELD and explain away the identity reveal is just ridiculous...
    Mysterio unveiled Spider-Man's identity to Jonah who outed Peter. All three are Spider-Man characters and you can start that and address it without mentioning the MCU or Happy Hogan.

And meanwhile Marvel and Disney are gonna have to decide exactly how to sell the very MCU focused Spidey content in Avengers Campus.
    Because theme park rides are canon now?

Is Holland going to film promotional content or is that impossible now? If he doesn’t, how does that content work when it’s such an integral part of the new theme park?
    For all we know, Holland already filmed his stuff or signed on to shoot that before the deal was voided. Everything decided before the deal still continues.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, Holland is in a very particular place. He's got to tread carefully and keep himself in a good place with fans and the studios and himself. Sure, the rewards for all of this are a lot of fame and money, but if he plays this wrong, then he might owe back on those contracts and tarnish his own reputation in the process.

You'd think he was being sent away to war, lol. It's a movie role.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    You'd think he was being sent away to war, lol. It's a movie role.
    Millions of dollars are at stake.

Plus, for some of us, this is like the Superbowl, so we have fun guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Mysterio unveiled Spider-Man's identity to Jonah who outed Peter. All three are Spider-Man characters and you can start that and address it without mentioning the MCU or Happy Hogan.
    This is Sony we're talking about. Spiderman will get rebooted, guaranteed. Two reasons for that:

1. That's all they know how to do.
    2. The current spidey doesn't fit in the world set by Venom ... and you _know_ they are still hoping to cash in on that spiderverse money.

Millions of dollars are at stake.
    You spelled billions wrong.

If Sony is indeed going solo, guess we'll just have to wait and see what they cook up and how good it is.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    The current spidey doesn't fit in the world set by Venom ... and you _know_ they are still hoping to cash in on that spiderverse money.
    Venom is a self-contained story set in San Francisco and I saw that movie, there was very little media coverage and blitz about the symbiotes there. It's mostly a private story about one rogue billionaire who got himself killed.

So it's not too hard to bring Tom Holland into that movie. Just sent Eddie to New York and that's it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Disappointed that Holland has appeared to surrender to this but I guess he doesn’t have much choice. The stupidity of trying to figure out how Sony are going to explain all the absences of MCU material between Happy and Stark Tech and SHIELD and explain away the identity reveal is just ridiculous, not to mention that even the inclusion of Holland will be enough to keep fans as strong as the first two movies.
    Holland's an actor under contract. This isn't his fight. It's for the executives to settle. For him to add more fuel to the fire would be a mistake. Sony and Disney might still make a deal. But whether they do or don't, he's still suiting up again as Spidey. It wouldn't serve him to be openly negative about the prospect of a MCU-less Spidey sequel.

As for dealing with that potential absence, that'll be up to other people to figure out, if that's what it comes to.

Amazing Member

Now people are blaming Tom Holland?

We live in a dangerous world. And social medias are the real life equivalent of the symbiontes: they tire you, suck and devoid you of energy and bring out the worst of your personality.

Poor Tom. He has to take the money.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

So from Feige and Tom Holland's most recent statements it would appear Spidey is definitely OUT of the MCU, but Tom will continue in the role in Sony's Spider-Man films going fwd, and honestly? I think this is great news...

I believe TRUE Spidey fans know the character was disrespected and sidelined in the MCU, even in his own films- constantly being told what to do by someone else (Fury, Stark etc). Stripping all the MCU elements away will give us the opportunity to see a fully developed Spider-Man, in his own movies in which he is the main man and not a sidekick reliant on others technology....

For those who were fans of MCU Spider-Man (Iron Boy) I can sympathize to some degree.....
    You enjoyed this portrayal and feel Spider-Man's true home is in the MU with all the other Marvel Heroes like in the comics. But in reality, in the films they had no idea how to adapt the comicbook character- Stan Lee/Steve Ditko's creation... Instead they created a completely new character. But because he was a Poor white kid called Peter Parker from Queens who gets Spider-Powers and called himself 'Spider-Man', this was good enough for many MCU fans who just want to be entertained....

The core characteristics that define Spider-Man for me are as follows..
    And I'm talking here about the classic portrayal of Spider-Man, particularly the Stan Lee run, and then also the 616 comics of the 20th Century, before elements of subversion and or miss-characterization began to seep in (such as PP looking at Stark as a Superior in Civil War and unmasking).

1) He feels an eternal guilt for his circumstantial part in his Uncle's death, this the root of what drives his self sacrificing heroism.
    2) As a result of this, in his teen years he is an uptight conflicted individual, and there is a certain angst / melancholy that permeates this period.
    3) He is a LOW-TECH street level hero (aside from his amazing self-made webshooters) who, particularly in his teen years, is distrusted by large portions of the public and other heroes.
    4) As Spider-Man he does everything by himself the hardway.
    This is a big part of what makes him SO great, and in time formidable as a hero- his resilience and autonomy.
    5) Constant money struggles.
    6) Constantly worrying about the affect of his secret identity being revealed and the affects this would have on his romantic life, and his frail and sickly elderly Aunt, who he often struggles to care for.

Now let's look at the MCU version of 'Spider-Man'...

1) Uncle Ben is practically never mentioned, and may as well have never existed.
    2) Peter Parker never appears to have any inner pain or guilt relating to the past, and has a happy go lucky naive puppy dog personality for the entirety of his 5 films.
    (Except for Civil War, which was the one time Tom Holland actually played a GREAT version of PP and SM before the whole thing went to crap)
    3) All his suits / tech are made by Stark or Stark Tech, they're super advanced and he's friends with all the Avengers from day one. Also there's no JJJ/Daily Bugle till the end of his 5th movie.
    4) If he messes up Iron Man is there to clean up his mess and belittle him, and after Stark is gone he is STILL not autonomous, and STILL being told what to do by others- Fury in FFH.
    5) Once Peter meets Tony Stark he never seems to have money problems again.
    6) He constantly reveals his secret identity to other heroes (because the MCU hates secret identities for some reason) and of course 'MJ' figures this out because she is so smart, oh and Aunt May is not frail, instead she is an attractive middle age woman.

Every element of what makes Spider-Man, Spider-man was inverted in the MCU.
    The coolest, most badass thing Spider-Man ever did in the MCU was have a brief fight with Steve Rogers in Civil War. That was a great portrayal of both sides of Spidey in that film by Holland (probably because the Russo's grew up reading Marvel comics of the 1960's and 70's so they had more respect for the character than someone like Jon Watts)

The way Peter Parker's own tech was incorporated into the PS4 game was the way a modern / tech infused version of Spidey should be handled. One of the keys things for me was it retained the basic cloth based costume of the classic Spider-Man, rather than use something like the AI infused abomination we got in the MCU. Overall I am optimistic for the future of films.... They're keeping Tom Holland, only now his Spider-Man will not be held back and overshadowed by his Avenger ties. Plus now they can roll out the Sinister Six, Venom and the Norman Osborn without any negotiation problems, and maybe.. just maybe, give us a more comic accurate supporting cast when he graduates High School in the third film and goes to ESU.
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!