Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I didn't like that. Mostly because it seemed like Fox were just starting to get their act together with Logan and Deadpool. There's no way Marvel would ever have made a movie like Logan. As it is Feige said that Endgame was inspired by Logan, and Scarlett Johanssen said her Black Widow is also inspired by it. Likewise, Noah Hawley, wrote a script for a solo Doctor Doom movie. We probably won't get that now.

Fact is competition is good. One studio owning everything isn't always the best. Look at DC/WB, they sat on all the rights of DC for decades, and it's only recently they got their acts together to make a Wonder Woman movie and a Shazam movie. And even then DC's real money is Harry Potter, an original IP made by a poor single mother which is now a billion dollar property.

Yeah, and that's getting dangerous.
    Agreed on all counts, yeah. The idea of a good FF or X-Men movie really is not enough of silver lining to make me comfortable with the terrifying implications of the Fox-Disney deal.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    They really don't need to ignore anything. All the contracts that were in place in terms of the actors and crew that were involved in the last two Spider-Man movies were/are with Sony, not Marvel. They can still proceed with Tom Holland as Spider-Man, being outed by Mysterio and dealing with the fallout of that. They just won't be able to reference any of the Marvel stuff, like Tony Stark, "the blip", the Avengers, etc..
    when dr who went off air in the 90s, the right痴 went to virgin novels who basically kept the character alive for a decade or two. when the book rights returned to the bbc, virgin continued to publish dr who books without using specific dr who IP names but referencing the character and timelords all the same. i think the bbc books likewise referenced some virgin events and characters in a vague fashion.

so, it can be done
    troo fan or death

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Lol! I知 smiling so hard right now.

I hated MCU Spider-Man so much. This is gonna piss off a lot of people though....but I was pissed off when I saw what Marvel did to Spider-Man. I just hope it works out for the best with Spidey going forward...
    100% agreed. I just hope whatever films Sony makes now are on the level of like Spider-Verse and Spider-Man 2, and they've learned their lessons regarding executive meddling.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Agreed on all counts, yeah. The idea of a good FF or X-Men movie really is not enough of silver lining to make me comfortable with the terrifying implications of the Fox-Disney deal.
    I mean they own the Simpsons and Futurama now. Simpsons and Futurama mean as much to me as Spider-Man does, and a good deal more than FF and X-Men.

Sony Pictures aren't necessarily likable. Those online hacks didn't make them look like the brightest bulbs but the way I see it this is a choice between Doctor Doom and the Beyonders. You have to side with Doom against the Beyonders, and right now Disney are the Beyonders.

And I meant it when I said it was a terrible thing when Disney bought Marvel. I think they should have found a way to have stayed independent. Marvel treats its comics writers and artists like royalty compared to how Disney treats the people who worked on their Donald Duck Comics. Read up on Keno Don Rosa who still struggles despite writing some great Donald Duck stories.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    when dr who went off air in the 90s, the right痴 went to virgin novels who basically kept the character alive for a decade or two. when the book rights returned to the bbc, virgin continued to publish dr who books without using specific dr who IP names but referencing the character and timelords all the same. i think the bbc books likewise referenced some virgin events and characters in a vague fashion.

so, it can be done
    In this case, you can refer to Spider-Man concepts and characters. You know Spider-Totem, Miles Morales, Green Goblin, Oscorp, Ravencroft, Master Planner, and so on and so forth. Everything in Spider-Man is available. So it's not like the Doctor Who situation or the situation in Bond movies where for a long time they couldn't refer to Spectre or Blofeld until very recently.

The only trade off is that we won't get to see a live-action version of Spider-Man Versus Juggernaut, or Spider-Man and Human Torch bantering and Spider-Man teaming up with Daredevil to find Jean DeWolff's killers, and I guess Captain America giving Spidey some relationship advice at the Denver airport. Those are Spider-Man's biggest shared universe moments across comics.

But aside from that, there's not much there because Spider-Man is fundamentally a solo hero. That's his strength.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    100% agreed. I just hope whatever films Sony makes now are on the level of like Spider-Verse and Spider-Man 2, and they've learned their lessons regarding executive meddling.
    I’m hoping for some of that PS4 style Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I'm seeing the same attitudes in regards to this as I did when news of Disney buying FOX first started making the rounds.

People see Sony as the bad guy because they like the movies Marvel Studios makes more. It isn't actually an evaluation of the situation. It's just a myopic calculus based on a dedication to the MCU.
    This so much...
    I think im done trying to reason with ppl.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    I’m hoping for some of that PS4 style Spidey.
    Yes please! PS4 Spider-Man is easily my favorite ever adaptation of the character, and that includes post-Lee/Ditko 616 Spider-Man.

If they want to stick with a teenage Spider-Man (ugh) still, they should just ask the writers at Insomniac what they imagined their Spider-Man's teenage years to be like and go off of that. Heck, honestly get the people at Insomniac to work on a script. It would be perfect.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Only one thing to say about this whole mess:

bird_claw.jpg

Third time since the movie franchise began that Sony killed a Spider-Man series. Am really bummed that the Far From Home sequel isn't going to get made now (yeah, yeah, Sony could still make a movie with the same cast dealing Spidey getting doxxed by a dead villain, but it would not be a follow-up to the MCU version, since Sony doesn't have the rights to that world, just the films); that was one thing I was looking forward to.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

You guys don't get it. We're not going to get amazing takes like Spider-Man PS4. So long as Sony "holds the cards", they don't have to try. It's just the way they do it. It's why they "planned" all those useless spinoff movies and hoped for the best while leaving their main character in the dust. It's only when they actually let the creators do their jobs is when we got those takes.

I doubt we're going to see anything like those beloved takes again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    If they want to stick with a teenage Spider-Man (ugh) still, they should just ask the writers at Insomniac what they imagined their Spider-Man's teenage years to be like and go off of that. Heck, honestly get the people at Insomniac to work on a script. It would be perfect.
    Heck if they want to do teenage Spidey, they should just watch Spectacular...Sony owns that, Into the Spider-Verse, AND PS4... so it’s not like they don’t know how to do Spider-Man, they just need to focus on that and not trying to stiff Disney (though if Sony MUST stiff Disney, they should get the animation rights, it’s not like Disney has done anything worth something with them anyway)

As for my thoughts on the issue at hand...While I’m okay with the MCU, I can’t say I’ll miss the Jimmy Olsen as Spider-Man take that they continue to go with (seriously Spidey hasn’t interacted with any of the Marvel heroes in a meaningful way outside of Stark).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Third time since the movie franchise began that Sony killed a Spider-Man series.
    Disney killed Spectacular Spider-Man when they bought out Marvel. The minute they did that, Sony had to renegotiate rights issues and that led to the loss of cartoons at standard length.

Am really bummed that the Far From Home sequel isn't going to get made now (yeah, yeah, Sony could still make a movie with the same cast dealing Spidey getting doxxed by a dead villain, but it would not be a follow-up to the MCU version, since Sony doesn't have the rights to that world, just the films); that was one thing I was looking forward to.
    You would have Tom Holland, Jonah Jameson played by JK Simmons, you would have Jacob Batalon's Ned, and all the teenage cast, Marisa Tomei and others. You would have New York. Just no Avengers, no Tony Stark and so on. Good riddance, is what I say to the last bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    It's just the way they do it. It's why they "planned" all those useless spinoff movies and hoped for the best while leaving their main character in the dust.
    Venom happens to be a pretty good movie you know.

It's only when they actually let the creators do their jobs is when we got those takes.
    If you mean Spider-Man 3, read the credits. It's the only Spider-Man movie with Raimi as screenwriter. The stuff that people dislike in that movie - Sandman being Ben's killer, Emo Peter's dance, and so on. All Raimi.

I doubt we're going to see anything like those beloved takes again.
    The job of a movie studio is to survive and make cool stuff. Sony has done enough of that to justify itself. The fact is nothing lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    do the majority of peeps associate blade with marvel?
    They made a pretty big deal about Mahershala Ali being cast as Blade. So I'd say "yes".

Disney killed Spectacular Spider-Man when they bought out Marvel. The minute they did that, Sony had to renegotiate rights issues and that led to the loss of cartoons at standard length.

You would have Tom Holland, Jonah Jameson played by JK Simmons, you would have Jacob Batalon's Ned, and all the teenage cast, Marisa Tomei and others. You would have New York. Just no Avengers, no Tony Stark and so on. Good riddance, is what I say to the last bit.

Venom happens to be a pretty good movie you know.

If you mean Spider-Man 3, read the credits. It's the only Spider-Man movie with Raimi as screenwriter. The stuff that people dislike in that movie - Sandman being Ben's killer, Emo Peter's dance, and so on. All Raimi.

The job of a movie studio is to survive and make cool stuff. Sony has done enough of that to justify itself. The fact is nothing lasts forever.
    Stop being condescending to me, man. I really don't appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They made a pretty big deal about Mahershala Ali being cast as Blade. So I'd say "yes".
    i meant the original blade series at that time, which was what you were referencing.
    troo fan or death

In this case, you can refer to Spider-Man concepts and characters. You know Spider-Totem, Miles Morales, Green Goblin, Oscorp, Ravencroft, Master Planner, and so on and so forth. Everything in Spider-Man is available. So it's not like the Doctor Who situation or the situation in Bond movies where for a long time they couldn't refer to Spectre or Blofeld until very recently.

not quite what i meant
    Last edited by boots; 08-20-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    troo fan or death