Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    ...but really the only citation you need is the Wall Street Journal piece. [Link]
    That article you cite says the following things:

"Sony, which closely watched Marvel’s work on “Homecoming” and had final say on all decisions, is on track for the biggest hit it has had in years, according to market research."

That bit where you say that Disney gave Sony money to produce Homecoming with refers to the 2011 rights negotiation that happened after Disney bought Marvel.

Sony funded and financed Homecoming out of its pocket and those movies were the MCU working for them.

No new information was given from your side.

Note: None of my citations are entertainment websites, primarily because they only ever reference each other and continue the misinformation trail.
    C'mon let out your inner Trump and say "fek noose". It's on the tip of your tongue, and I can practically hear it from your text-type.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That article you cite says the following things:

"Sony, which closely watched Marvel’s work on “Homecoming” and had final say on all decisions, is on track for the biggest hit it has had in years, according to market research."

That bit where you say that Disney gave Sony money to produce Homecoming with refers to the 2011 rights negotiation that happened after Disney bought Marvel.

Sony funded and financed Homecoming out of its pocket and those movies were the MCU working for them.
    Sony did legally fund it out of its own pocket. A pocket that just happened to be full of the cash Disney gave it to strike the deal in the first place.

I have painstakingly given you the most pertinent information. Properly sourced and legally correct because they are shareholder sensitive. See my three PS notes.

You are misreading the part about the funding.

It clearly lays out the finances of the deal.

C'mon let out your inner Trump and say "fek noose". It's on the tip of your tongue, and I can practically hear it from your text-type.
    Charming. I love you too.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-22-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Sony did legally fund it out of its own pocket. A pocket that just happened to be full of the cash Disney gave it to strike the deal in the first place.
    I don't think you understand how corporate financing works. That's okay, even I don't. It's intentionally confusing. But I know enough to know that $175mn in exchange for merchandising rights given to the parent company, in this case Sony Corporation, in 2011 doesn't mean that the money given there is still there in 2015 when Homecoming went into production by Sony Pictures (a Sony subsidiary but not actually Sony Corporation).

That's a ridiculous interpretation of data.

I don't think you understand how corporate financing works. That's okay, even I don't. It's intentionally confusing. But I know enough to know that $175mn in exchange for merchandising rights given to the parent company, in this case Sony Corporation, in 2011 doesn't mean that the money given there is still there in 2015 when Homecoming went into production by Sony Pictures (a Sony subsidiary but not actually Sony Corporation).

That's a ridiculous interpretation of data.
    No. You are seeing things as separate and discrete when in actuality it was a continual process. Back in 2011 Marvel put the entire deal on the table. Everything. Co-production the lot. That was when the 175 Million was first put forward. Sony chose not to take up the full terms. They were already committed at least in their financial plans to ASM2, they could have pulled it at that stage but chose not to. So ASM2 rolled, having already having been financed. So they still had 175 million in their pocket when they came back to the negotiations. This is why the sums are still 35 million and no 5%. The same deal was finally completed.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

No. You are seeing things as separate and discrete
    Yes I am. Because that's how these things work. Deals and situation made in 2011 differ from ones made in 2014 and so on.

Back in 2011 Marvel put the entire deal on the table. Everything. Co-production the lot. That was when the 175 Million was first put forward. Sony chose not to take up the full terms. They were already committed at least in their financial plans to ASM2, they could have pulled it at that stage but chose not to. So ASM2 rolled, having already having been financed.
    TASM 1 came out in 2012, one year after the 2011 deal, TASM-2 came out in 2014. So your timeline is way off.

Spider Sense is Tingling Dangerous's Avatar

If Spidey does indeed leave the MCU this is great news.

Marvel Studios had no clue how to handle him (turning his films into horrible Disneyfied comedies) and after 5 films Spider-Man (more like Iron Boy) was still living in Tony Stark’s shadow. Pathetic....
    MY POWERS HAVE RETURNED TO ME!! I HAVEN'T LOST THEM!! I'M STILL SPIDER-MAN!

Yes I am. Because that's how these things work. Deals and situation made in 2011 differ from ones made in 2014 and so on.

TASM 1 came out in 2012, one year after the 2011 deal, TASM-2 came out in 2014. So your timeline is way off.
    I was referring to ASM2's preproduction and financing stage not production.

Look you clearly don't want to see the bigger picture but I have laid it out for you anyway. Movies don't get financed at the drop of a hat, and payments of 175 Million don't magically turn into coincidental production costs of exactly the same amount. This deal was in the works for a long while. It was first muted a few years before 2011 and was concluded in 2015 we saw the final pieces of the puzzle in 2017.

The backers of the ASM movies were probably not interested in a separate Marvel deals when their own investments were looking fine at that time. By the time the ASM2 money was coming in the investments didn't look as secure because slow money is not as valuable.

Homecoming - no investors. No one else to please.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-22-2019 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
    If Spidey does indeed leave the MCU this is great news.

Marvel Studios had no clue how to handle him (turning his films into horrible Disneyfied comedies) and after 5 films Spider-Man (more like Iron Boy) was still living in Tony Stark’s shadow. Pathetic....
    But it served the MCU and Endgame well. Now that the MCU is moving into a new phase entirely, its a good break point for Spider-Man to take a new direction.

I really liked what we got but like others the Tony-Tech was tiresome to me for a hero who is supposed to be more homegrown and independent.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Stan Lee’s daughter sides with Sony. She also talks about Disney greed and lack of sympathy.
    https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/22/stan-...derman-marvel/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Stan Lee’s daughter sides with Sony. She also talks about Disney greed and lack of sympathy.
    https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/22/stan-...derman-marvel/
    Does she mention anything about the allegations of elder abuse against her?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...reator-1101229

Wow. Stunned. Love what she has to say about multiple points of view, though.

"Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view."

“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.”

JC's parting words ... "In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I appreciate one or two people mentioning the original spiderman movies are more drama. Usually in the marvel kingdom xmen movies are the ones that always gets this serious superhero drama accliam but i think Raimi did well with drama too that is underrated.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Does she mention anything about the allegations of elder abuse against her?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...reator-1101229
    She was never charged with elder abuse, because there wasn’t any evidence it happened.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Wow. Stunned. Love what she has to say about multiple points of view, though.

"Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view."

“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.”

JC's parting words ... "In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."
    If you read the article linked above, you might want to take her views with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Logan is indeed canon to the Fox X-Men continuity as confirmed by the director himself.
    The idea that the movie was an AU came from an unpublished Marvel reference book that was put online somewhere. The Marvel Wiki ran with that, hence why the idea is out there. IMHO, it would explain a lot if true, although that does assume that a third party "can" make a decision like that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)