Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
I’m not happy about the split, but I think we need to realistically view who the responsible party is. No credible reports are saying Sony wanted anything but a renewed deal. Meanwhile, Disney, by every report, wanted at least a little bit of the film rights to Spider-Man back and a revenue split to boot. Thankfully, I think that a deal with be worked out and it will be fine.

And while we can certainly point the finger completely his way for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, that requires giving him all the credit for X-Men: First Class, Days of Future Past, and The Wolverine (which were all varying degrees of good to great). He has a mixed track record at worst. So, we’ll have to see where we end up at the end of this process. And I will hold out hope that future Spider-Man flicks are more like the latter three than the former one.
Rothman left Fox in September 2012. (He's also responsible for that cinematic masterpiece, X-Men: The Last Stand.)

Maybe don't be so confident that this guy can produce a good Spider-Man movie given his track record.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
Right. They had an opportunity cost. But it was one they were aware of when they signed this deal. Now, maybe Sony’s statement was more accurate than a lot of people who have ridiculed it have given it credit for. The Fox purchase changed the calculus and Disney no longer wanted to incur the opportunity cost, at least without more of a take in the films their company’s President was working on, to just have one character in the MCU. Having the X-Men and Fantastic Four introduces quicker was more important than access to one character in an Avengers film. But that would require admitting Sony was right, more or less, about Feige being “too busy”.
Yes, I'm sure Sony cares very deeply for Feige...