Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default SO....Mephisto STRIKES AGAIN AT THE SPIDER-Verse.... Spoilers for Champions #1

SO... spoilers:
    It seems that Miles Morales has made a deal with the Devil, via Mephisto.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Is it just me or is Marvel trying to build up a Major Spider-man themed event that will FINALLY END THE OMD mess
    end of spoilers

As fans of the character, What do you think of this ?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I... need more context. I like it if they end OMD, but I won't like it if they sacrifice a different beloved character.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Marvel just likes teasing these sort of things to get fans talking, like how they routinely anger X-Men fans. I doubt it'll lead to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Marvel just likes teasing these sort of things to get fans talking, like how they routinely anger X-Men fans. I doubt it'll lead to anything.
    This, it is simply another meaningless tease. Marvel is the ultimate boy who cried wolf when it comes to such things.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Honestly? I just assumed it was released to the monster thing the OG champions fought but was never shown so I didn’t think to much of it .

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    The entire arc is called “Beat the Devil” Zub isn’t that kind of writer to just introduce something that huge then just not do anything with it?

BANNED

Public Letter to Marvel Comics:

Dear Marvel,

You seem to be under the impression that readers need to be reminded of Mephisto and his connection to Spider-Man. In theory I can understand. This is an allusion to a storyline that ended 11 years ago. Your corporate philosophy of "the illusion of change" takes for granted that readers have the attention span of goldfish. However increasingly it becomes apparent that perhaps it's you who need to be reminded of a few realities since the thought-destroying cliche of the ''illusion of change'' has ultimately revealed that it's the House of Ideas that's run by goldfish:

1) The Internet was invented between the 1970s to 2007-2008, it continues to operate 10 years since. Any story published before the late '90s or before Social Media, sure, you can assume fans are sheep. The fact that the Spider-Marriage was an editorial stunt, totally forgotten and unknown to all but the paltry few comics fans until Joe Q and others came out of the woodwork, is proof of the powers of oblivion and embalming bliss of ignorance. One More Day was published in the internet era and as of 2019 Spider-Man and One More Day generated 403,000 results in 0.54 seconds.

2) One More Day is widely considered to be the all-time worst Spider-Man story, one which has tainted the Spider-Man reading experience going forward.

3) It was the demonstrable intent and corporate interest of the artist and editor Joe Quesada that we forget and move past this story, as well as that of other writers who worked on Spider-Man after this storyline.

Do you see the problem here Marvel? Doing (3) proved impossible with the existence of (1) and (2). But the fact of (3) also leaves you in a bind, because since you wanted everyone to forget and move past this, you never bothered to have an actual story/idea/answer to give readers for the proverbial moment of reckoning. Instead what we have are a bunch of teases and promotional ideas, which as (1) and (2) show are unnecessary, which at this point have reduced Mephisto, whose mystique is a central part of Roger Stern-Mignola's classic Triumph and Torment into an annoying and banal D-list sorcerer in a story and setting that the recently departed co-creator Steve Ditko once explicitly said would never fully tolerate incursions of supernatural because, and I quote, "A mythological demon made the entire Peter Parker/Spider-Man world a place where nothing is metaphysically impossible."

So at this point, Marvel please stop with the teases. None of us have forgotten this story. You don't need to remind us of the story that made your former EIC and current Chief Creative Officer the laughing stock of the comics fandom. Give us the story when you are ready. Either way, none of us will forget and get past OMD. Many of us will never forgive it.

Glad Tidings for the New Year.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 01-03-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: change

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This, it is simply another meaningless tease. Marvel is the ultimate boy who cried wolf when it comes to such things.
    Mephisto is the new Facade, only if Facade kept turning up .

Nah, but really, it's really nifty Marvel are treating Mephisto like a recurring Spidey villain, and OMD gives him that impact he wouldn't normally have on the mythos, readers would just consider him out of place in Peter's world.

Right now I'm treating this as a Champions story and nothing else. I'm sure Zub chose Miles specifically for the Spider-Man connection, but I don't think it really has anything to do either Spider-Men specifically outside of this book.

What was the point of the spoiler tags when the spoiler is right there in the thread title!?!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Why do people think every single Mephisto appearance around the vicinity of a spider is an OMD thing? That story is over. It is old. This is a new story. There are more things to do with this villain. If they go back to OMD, believe me, they'll make sure you'll know. The Ghost Rider fans are the ones who should actually be upset.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Why do people think every single Mephisto appearance around the vicinity of a spider is an OMD thing? That story is over. It is old. This is a new story.
    Why do people get so touchy/defensive about OMD being revisited?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Why do people get so touchy/defensive about OMD being revisited?
    It's fine to revisit OMD. In the main book about the characters of OMD. Nick probably will. Or they can choose not to. Because it's not a loose thread. It's not the Hobgoblin's identity. We don't have to spend years pinning photos to walls on a board and looking at every Mephisto appearance with a microscope, especially when they involve entirely different casts. Marvel will not go back to such a major event casually. They will make sure we know when they do.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It's fine to revisit OMD. In the main book about the characters of OMD. Nick probably will. Or they can choose not to. Because it's not a loose thread. It's not the Hobgoblin's identity. We don't have to spend years pinning photos to walls on a board and looking at every Mephisto appearance with a microscope, especially when they involve entirely different casts. Marvel will not go back to such a major event casually. They will make sure we know when they do.
    I 100% agree with you Snoop Dogg. I don't see how there is any connection right now other than a Spider-Man is involved.

one which has tainted the Spider-Man reading experience going forward.

It has!?!? Why did no one tell me I’d been tainted?!