Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    are they? the response from the audience seems overwhelmingly negative but i have no way of accurately gauging that
    Yeah, I'm noticing the same things as you. Most first impressions seem to be blaming Sony. (And first impressions are a very hard thing to shake off.)

good old midnight edgy is back
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Yeah, I'm noticing the same things as you. Most first impressions seem to be blaming Sony. (And first impressions are a very hard thing to shake off.)
    yep. lots of anti Sony memes on most fan sites and groups...but really, it only matters how the eventual sony take is accepted
    troo fan or death

Parker Luck is affecting real life once again

At least it's not a big loss like losing Spectacular cartoon, and while I don't care about Stark's boytoy much, I can see why people are upset.

Oh well, can't wait for the 4th Spidey movie franchise to happen, hopefuly it'll be fun before it inevitably gets cancelled.

We have to remain very sceptical of this whole story. The 24h news feed that is the Internet has basically taken a poorly written piece from a not particularly reputable source and spun it out of all recognition over the last few hours.

What do we actually know?

Marvel and Sony were in negotiations that didn’t even involve Kevin Feige.
    There is some doubt that Feige will be involved in any future cooperation.
    Sony seem to be saying that Disney are focusing him on other properties.

This may hint that the handshake deal that allowed Disney to have full control over all Spider-Man marketing is in jeopardy, because the marketing rights to Spider-Man movies were only secured in return for the production input of Feige and the MCU team.

This may all be part of a negotiation and Disney could have spun this to try and put pressure on Sony. From an MCU fanboy perspective it probably feels like Marvel and Disney don’t need Sony onboard, but this was a hugely profitable arrangement for Disney, and if Disney want to make changes to that arrangement then they need to offer something else to secure those marketing rights.

The MCU should be more respectful of its fan base, because they are a nebulous and unpredictable group of diverse people, not a unified block of Feige worshipping drones. (It is laughable that I personally would boycott a Spider-Man movie. Besides, my wife wouldn’t let me, she would insist on seeing it because she’s a bigger Spider-Man fan than MCU fan.)

The idea that Disney were asking for a 50/50 split is so unlikely that it is clearly misreported. Either there were dozens of other parts to such a deal which haven’t been reported, or it is just wrong. Let’s wait and see what actually happens.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-21-2019 at 01:39 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

Confirmed much of what I said earlier. Also that the original article is written by a well known Sony lackey
    Its 10-1 for Disney lackeys and Sony Lackeys.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    are they? the response from the audience seems overwhelmingly negative but i have no way of accurately gauging that
    The response that Sony made the best Spiderman movies and need to get the right people again is louder. Obviously, every newfeed outlet is trying to kill that response.

Reposted from my comment in the tv and movie forums:

Here is an example of the crazy reporting that is going on.

Deadline broke this story. They clearly reported a 50/50 profit split and made that sound like a demand from Disney. They also reported Feige walking away from negotiations.

Now, despite trying to cling to their reputation and version of events they subtly shifted the claims and say that Disney were offering a 50/50 co-financing agreement. That’s not the same thing. It also transpires that Feige wasn’t even in the negotiations, so he couldn’t have walked out of them. His involvement was part of the dispute and it seems that in this proposed co-financing arrangement Feige may or may not have been involved and Sony would have preferred he was.

We need to wait for a more reputable news organisation to actually secure some decent facts and do more than report an unnamed Disney source before we can really work out what is going on.

Deadline say:

“But sources maintain that Feige’s exit was about money; it was about Disney seeking the 50/50 co-fi stake as the price for Marvel and Feige’s continued guiding hand that resulted in the delivery of Sony’s biggest grossing film ever.”

But fail to point out this isn’t how they originally reported it. Bad show Deadline.

Sometimes we need to take stock before we believe the Internet.

P.S. The negotiations are actually way above Feige. They are between Tom Rothman at Sony and Alan Horn at Disney. Feige’s participation sounds more like a bargaining chip than anything that will stop them negotiating.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-21-2019 at 02:40 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

What a bummer. I think it’s ok to skip the next few spidey flicks. Only reason I can think of for seeing them is Tom Holland and he’ll be in other movies

Spectacular Member

This sucks. I don’t care who’s “fault” it is business wise, all I know is I don’t trust Sony to make a good Spider-man live action film on their own.

They’ve made two great films largely due to Sam Raimi, then pressured him into adding Venom to the third. I think it was Mark Waid? who said they wanted to take the humor out of the movie, and he had to explain why you don’t do that with Spider-man. They’ve had to reboot the series twice now. Their ideas for a spider-man expanded universe sound lame.

I see a future of continuously rebooted films where a different old actor plays Uncle Ben getting shot every two or three years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Marvel and Sony were in negotiations that didn’t even involve Kevin Feige.
    Feige AFAIK is primarily a movie producer, the deal between Marvel and Sony requires a lot of senior corporate officers at the senior level. That's executive and not creative. So I don't think Feige would have been involved in this. As big as Feige seems to us, remember that he's far from the "room where it happens" at Disney. That's Bob Iger going to Rupert Murdoch and talking to him big.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Feige AFAIK is primarily a movie producer, the deal between Marvel and Sony requires a lot of senior corporate officers at the senior level. That's executive and not creative. So I don't think Feige would have been involved in this. As big as Feige seems to us, remember that he's far from the "room where it happens" at Disney. That's Bob Iger going to Rupert Murdoch and talking to him big.
    So you are agreeing with me. The talks are between Tom Rothman at Sony and Alan Horn at Disney. They are way above Feige. (Murdoch has no dog in this fight BTW.)

The talks are ongoing (even if not currently in session) because they are in both parties interest.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-21-2019 at 04:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hobo View Post
    They’ve made two great films largely due to Sam Raimi, then pressured him into adding Venom to the third.
    Raimi is as responsible as any for Spider-Man 3 failing.

http://comiccritics.com/2010/01/31/i...day-joke-here/

I think it was Mark Waid? who said they wanted to take the humor out of the movie, and he had to explain why you don’t do that with Spider-man.
    If you have a movie with Venom and want it to be darker and more intense, I think that fits the material and is in keeping with it.

And in any case, Venom is Spider-Man's third biggest enemy after Goblin and Doctor Octopus. Everyone would logically expect him in to be in the third movie.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-21-2019 at 04:06 AM.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

As a PlayStation fanboy I love Sony. But I'll be skipping everything else they do going forward
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Astonishing Member

People are worrying over nothing. If James Gunn can get rehired for GotG 3, then I think this will also get resolved. It’s a high stakes game of chicken to see who will blink first, but I doubt Disney or Sony is stupid enough to kill off such a B.O. juggernaut over a dumb producer’s credit. Tom Holland is staying as Spidey in the MCU. Mark my words.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    As a PlayStation fanboy I love Sony. But I'll be skipping everything else they do going forward
    Sony’s game division and film company are almost separate entities.