Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Spider-Man Homecoming and Far From Home are my least favorite Spider-man moives with the exception of Spider-Man 3 which was right on their level for different reasons. Far From Home was mediocre and Homecoming made me feel disgusted at multiple points. I also really liked the Amazing Spider-Man movies, so to each their own.

Oh and I liked Venom too, so I'm happy about him going back to Sony.
    How anyone can put TASM 2 above Far From Home is beyond me. But like you said, to each their own...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The 25% thing is something originating from the effects of the Star Trek alternative license (Kelvin Universe, Discovery) where everything must be roughly that different to the original license and they don’t get cash for anything too close to the other license. I can’t speak for the apparent suggestions that Marvel has had something similar with Spider-Man but that’s the real origins of that business philosophy with CBS at least. (Though the merger with Viacom might resolve that.)
    There is no "Star Trek alternative license"; that was just a baseless theory a YouTube channel pulled out of their hats.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    How anyone can put TASM 2 above Far From Home is beyond me. But like you said, to each their own...
    Even if they hate the MCU Spidey that much, there's no way that they can argue that this is a good move for the majority of cinemagoers. Overall box office will go down.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-28-2019 at 05:32 PM.

I'm disappointed that Spidey's time in the MCU is over but I don't blame Sony for walking at all. Going from 5% to 50% is a massive increase and straight up disrespectful. I'd have told Disney to kiss my ass as well

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'm disappointed that Spidey's time in the MCU is over but I don't blame Sony for walking at all. Going from 5% to 50% is a massive increase and straight up disrespectful. I'd have told Disney to kiss my ass as well
    That and Sony was willing to fork over 25% of the revenue for a 75/25 co-financing deal. Of course, it wasn’t good enough to Disney and they asked for more. No company in their right mind would’ve accepted Disney’s deal.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

BANNED

Hopefully good Spider-Man films again.
    In Sony? The same company that made Spider-Man 3, ASM 1 AND 2 and Venom?
    Do you really want Spidey at the hands of the guy that almost destroyed cinematic Deadpool?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarman View Post
    That and Sony was willing to fork over 25% of the revenue for a 75/25 co-financing deal. Of course, it wasn’t good enough to Disney and they asked for more. No company in their right mind would’ve accepted Disney’s deal.
    We do not know what has happened.
    In my book, BOTH companies are to blame for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    We do not know what has happened.
    In my book, BOTH companies are to blame for this.
    It’s possible this was all public negotiations, BUT Sony sources told Variety that Rothman would’ve conceded up to 25 percent. Admittedly, this came after The Hollywood Reporter stated Disney would’ve accepted no lower than 30 percent. And it seems odd to end a partnership this big over a dispute of five percent. Still, the idea that both of them are at fault is a little silly. For years, we had been concerned that Sony was going to be the one to tank renewal. But they just wanted a clean renewal or perhaps a modest increase for Disney with revenue sharing. Instead, Disney comes out swinging, asking for ten-fold increase but we’re characterizing it as reasonable that they would’ve “settled for” a six-fold one instead. It’s totally ridiculous frankly.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Just to add some random context: around the time SONY believed Spider-Man was a profitable concept, Disney wouldn't even market UNBREAKABLE as a comic book film.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Just to add some random context: around the time SONY believed Spider-Man was a profitable concept, Disney wouldn't even market UNBREAKABLE as a comic book film.
    In their defense, Unbreakable was never actually based on a comic book.

But you do make a point that the movie was a deconstruction of the super hero mythos and tropes. But overall it was an M Night Shyamalan movie most of all and was marketed as such.

Amazing Member

Interesting little thing I found on the internet.

Please look at the date of the article.

https://cosmicbook.news/spider-man-o...ecoming-sequel

Spider-Man Homecoming and Far From Home are my least favorite Spider-man moives with the exception of Spider-Man 3 which was right on their level for different reasons. Far From Home was mediocre and Homecoming made me feel disgusted at multiple points. I also really liked the Amazing Spider-Man movies, so to each their own.

Oh and I liked Venom too, so I'm happy about him going back to Sony.
    Here’s the thing though, you’re just stating your opinion here but it is fact that due to Sony’s handling of things that there never came to be a Spider-Man 4 and fact that Amazing Spider-Man 2 underperformed. You may like the MCU movies the least but they’ve proven to work for the franchise, something Sony has had trouble with.

BANNED

I heard on a podcast it isn’t all about money, but scheduling was a big hang up too. Sony wanted Spider-Man 3 for release in 2022, but Disney wanted to save him to lead the next Avengers in 2023.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I heard on a podcast it isn’t all about money, but scheduling was a big hang up too. Sony wanted Spider-Man 3 for release in 2022, but Disney wanted to save him to lead the next Avengers in 2023.
    Nah, it's a weak argument.
    They could make both film happen, if they wanted.
    Spider-Man 3 in 2022 and Avengers 5 in 2023.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AlexCampy89 View Post
    Nah, it's a weak argument.
    They could make both film happen, if they wanted.
    Spider-Man 3 in 2022 and Avengers 5 in 2023.
    You would think, but Marvel didn’t want to make a SM 3 in 2022, it would go against their plans.