Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseBeFeige View Post
    Does anyone know if we should trust Mikey Sutton ( A writer for Comicbookmovie.com )? He claims that Sony is lying about the deal being closed and I just don't know who to put my faith in
    Yeah, he’s full of it. He said the same thing two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What baloney. Leo is responsible for Leo getting an Oscar. Leo is still a bigger B.O. draw than Hardy.

Also, how can you attribute “all” of the MCU’s success to RDJ? He’s a big part of it, but are you telling me Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Sam L, ScarJo, Tom H., Pratt, etc. played no part? C’mon...
    You also need to consider that, at the time, it was considered a huge gamble to cast RDJ for the role. At the time, he was better known for his life behind the camera than for his acting. He had never starred in a blockbuster film and he had been doing mostly supporting roles in small low-budget films in the 2000's. People loved RDJ as Tony, but people didn't went to see Iron Man because it had RDJ's name on it.

I posted this over in the TV/Film forum, but I figure I'd also share my complete take on the whole Sony/Marvel split and Spider-Man leaving the MCU here, too. Basically, It's not Sony who are the bad guys here:
    Spider-Man/Marvel Cinematic Universe split: In defense of Sony
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    I posted this over in the TV/Film forum, but I figure I'd also share my complete take on the whole Sony/Marvel split and Spider-Man leaving the MCU here, too. Basically, It's not Sony who are the bad guys here:
    Still, can't see anyone winning from the walkaway; while Marvel Studios hardly needs Spider-Man to succeed, the franchise isn't better without him. Sony isn't exactly doing swimmingly outside of Spider-Man, as I understand and even that has a weak track record (I mean, the reason they made the deal in the first place was because their own series fell through and Venom does not inspire confidence that they've cracked the code that Sam Raimi and the Spider-Verse crew did). We the viewers don't get to see that third movie as it was intended to be made (although I'm aware of a few people who're happy that things are changing).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

So I guess there are no numbers between five and fifty.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post

Sometime later, Disney came back with a counteroffer. This time, they wanted 50% of the gross profits for financing 50% of the costs.
    It's funny because the story in the article you cite is at odds with more recent reports of where the final offer was Disney looking for a co-finance arrangement for only a 30% stake. I think the fact there's no solid story as to what actually happened shows that's there's no easily discernible "good" or "bad" guy in this situation, though Sony seem to be talking out the side of their neck regarding Feige's being "too busy".

Also of note which I believe you missed is that Didney were "making a yearly royalty payment to Sony that was amounting to around $30 million a year" as per Hollywood Reporter, and that they did not get a producing fee nor did Feige for the initial deal regarding the solo Spidey films.

At least we won’t have Peter Parker acting like Tony Stark’s discount version of Robin anymore.
    Lucky for all of us that never happened in the first place! Love down-the-middle reporting.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Hardy is why people enjoyed Mad Max.
    Nooooooo. I'm sorry, Hardy was a supporting character in his own film. People enjoyed Mad Max due to the spectacle, if anything.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

I wonder how many people happy about this split are still going to be happy when they realize that Spidey films are now going to be under the guy who ordered Deadpool's mouth shut in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wonder how many people happy about this split are still going to be happy when they realize that Spidey films are now going to be under the guy who ordered Deadpool's mouth shut in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
    The acid test will be when the movie actually comes out.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    It's funny because the story in the article you cite is at odds with more recent reports of where the final offer was Disney looking for a co-finance arrangement for only a 30% stake. I think the fact there's no solid story as to what actually happened shows that's there's no easily discernible "good" or "bad" guy in this situation, though Sony seem to be talking out the side of their neck regarding Feige's being "too busy".

Also of note which I believe you missed is that Didney were "making a yearly royalty payment to Sony that was amounting to around $30 million a year" as per Hollywood Reporter, and that they did not get a producing fee nor did Feige for the initial deal regarding the solo Spidey films.

Lucky for all of us that never happened in the first place! Love down-the-middle reporting.
    30% is better than 50% but much much worse than 5%. it’s still putting sony in a terrible position

on a tangent...while no company is particularly saint-like, from people who’ve worked on the films; sony has done a good job of looking after their careers. there’s a feeling of gratitude there, which counts for something
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The acid test will be when the movie actually comes out.
    you crazy

10char
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    30% is better than 50% but much much worse than 5%. it’s still putting sony in a terrible position

on a tangent...while no company is particularly saint-like, from people who’ve worked on the films; sony has done a good job of looking after their careers. there’s a feeling of gratitude there, which counts for something
    That's time and money Marvel could have been using on a movie they fully owned and would have seen all the profits for.

I don't think this situation is really as simple as "Disney got greedy and Sony couldn't afford to work with them anymore."

I’m not happy about the split, but I think we need to realistically view who the responsible party is. No credible reports are saying Sony wanted anything but a renewed deal. Meanwhile, Disney, by every report, wanted at least a little bit of the film rights to Spider-Man back and a revenue split to boot. Thankfully, I think that a deal with be worked out and it will be fine.

And while we can certainly point the finger completely his way for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, that requires giving him all the credit for X-Men: First Class, Days of Future Past, and The Wolverine (which were all varying degrees of good to great). He has a mixed track record at worst. So, we’ll have to see where we end up at the end of this process. And I will hold out hope that future Spider-Man flicks are more like the latter three than the former one.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

That's time and money Marvel could have been using on a movie they fully owned and would have seen all the profits for.

I don't think this situation is really as simple as "Disney got greedy and Sony couldn't afford to work with them anymore."
    Right. They had an opportunity cost. But it was one they were aware of when they signed this deal. Now, maybe Sony’s statement was more accurate than a lot of people who have ridiculed it have given it credit for. The Fox purchase changed the calculus and Disney no longer wanted to incur the opportunity cost, at least without more of a take in the films their company’s President was working on, to just have one character in the MCU. Having the X-Men and Fantastic Four introduces quicker was more important than access to one character in an Avengers film. But that would require admitting Sony was right, more or less, about Feige being “too busy”.
    With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

undoubtedly. sony was always going to want 100% control back in the future, but nothing will hasten that move faster than me demanding 25-45% more of your cut.

as noted, box office returns ain't what they used to be; merchandising and home entertainment is where the real cashola happens. so cutting into that box office...that hurts.

it's funny how fans are surprised by businesses acting like businesses; neither company is doing this for the kids
    troo fan or death