Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    I don't know. A lot of the general public doesn't fully understand the shared universe. I'm sure there's people who think Batman and Spider-man exist the same one, but I think version of Spider-man was so well received with how he is tied to the MCU. I agree with someone who posted in another thread that said that the box office of FFH is actually lower than what it should be coming off Endgame. Over all media, I think Spider-man is Marvel's biggest character. Domestic BO should be another $100 million higher. That being said, the next movie not coming off the heels of Endgame and not having any ties to the MCU will not do as well as the 2 previous.

The most common request by comic book fans, even those that loved the movies, was when are they going to stop having Stark overshadow him and get him back to New York. Also it seems pretty obvious that Watts is a perfect fit for directing Spider-Man, so I have total faith that most people won’t even see the join.

I don’t think this will stand anyway. Disney can’t afford to have the ambiguity over merchandising yet again.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-20-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It all very strange. It seems like a stupid move for Marvel to play hardball over their most famous character. Sony could potentially have lost investors and seen a fall in their share price by negotiating such a one sided deal like this. Frankly I am skeptical that we actually have the real facts.

Half the news sources are saying Marvel own the merchandising rights, which isn’t true. Some of them are talking about Feige as if he is the sole executive producer and responsible for everything that went well at Sony, which is almost Marvel propaganda.

Let’s wait and see where the dust settles.
    It’s not surprising that Disney played hard ball, they are known for that. It true that Marvel Entertainment owns all merchandise, which is Disney.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

WOO HOO! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO TELL TOBY MCGUIRE TO HIT THE GYM BECAUSE WE'RE FINALLY GETTING SPIDER MAN 4!

In all seriousness though, Sony could do a live action Miles movie with no connection to the MCU and clean up. They can even sell it to the public as "hey, remember that kid from the Spiderverse cartoon? Yeah, we made a live action movie about him!" Might even get Disney back to the table. Sorry, but I side with Sony on this one. The company that owns both Marvel and freakin' Star Wars doesn't need half the profits from a movie they gave up the rights to. Sony needs this win more than Disney does. Disney will be fine.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I don't like how this is been reported. Sony are made to look like the bad guys.

On the brutal side, Sony may also have realized that when they do the right thing, they still put out the best Spiderman movies without any help from Disney. I think Sony should take that and just be done with it.
    I took it the other way. Far from Home made a billion and now Disney wants 50% of the profits on all future Spider-Man movies which is presumably a lot more than they got for Far from Home.

On the bright side, maybe Sony could finish their Spider-Man trilogy although I doubt they will now. But every version of Spider-Man Sony has done has been better than the MCU version so they have a good track record.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Will Tom Holland still be Spider Man? I hope so, I like this kid. But I didn’t like the Disney inspired Peter Parker.
    I've got nothing against Tom Holland but I doubt that will happen. The prevailing wisdom is that it would be too confusing. Having him continue as Spider-Man would have people going, "Duh. Is this in the MCU? It isn't consistent with Holland's two previous movies."
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    It’s not surprising that Disney played hard ball, they are known for that. It true that Marvel Entertainment owns all merchandise, which is Disney.
    It’s not true at all. They were swapping merchandising for production buy-in. Without the current arrangement Sony will own the movie merchandising rights and Disney the comic merchandising rights. Something the press consistently misreport.

This simple fact was something Iger was so pleased with he crowed about it on his internal conference call when it was announced. He won’t be pleased.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-20-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    WOO HOO! SOMEBODY NEEDS TO TELL TOBY MCGUIRE TO HIT THE GYM BECAUSE WE'RE FINALLY GETTING SPIDER MAN 4!

In all seriousness though, Sony could do a live action Miles movie with no connection to the MCU and clean up. They can even sell it to the public as "hey, remember that kid from the Spiderverse cartoon? Yeah, we made a live action movie about him!" Might even get Disney back to the table. Sorry, but I side with Sony on this one. The company that owns both Marvel and freakin' Star Wars doesn't need half the profits from a movie they gave up the rights to. Sony needs this win more than Disney does. Disney will be fine.
    Disney/Marvel Studios didn’t give up the rights to Spider-Man.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I've got nothing against Tom Holland but I doubt that will happen. The prevailing wisdom is that it would be too confusing. Having him continue as Spider-Man would have people going, "Duh. Is this in the MCU? It isn't consistent with Holland's two previous movies."
    My understanding was that they could do more Holland movies, they just can't acknowledge the rest of the MCU. So he'd have to fight the Lizard something without Fury stepping in to help.
    Assassinate Putin!

Why wouldn’t it be consistent? Same actor, same leading lady, same friends and relatives, same scriptwriters, same director.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 2 was considered a flop.

Also, whats so funny?
    It made 700 million, there is no film in history that is considered a flop with that

BANNED

Well, TM don’t have to worry about being type-cast.
    Sony could still make TASM3 with Andrew Garfield

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Disney/Marvel Studios didn’t give up the rights to Spider-Man.

They only have rights to him in movies via this deal, so effectively they might have done.

Spider-Man Homecoming and Far From Home are not Disney movies.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-20-2019 at 03:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    They only have rights to him in movies via this deal, so effectively they might have done.

Spider-Man Homecoming and Far From Home are not Disney movies.
    Sony’s ability to withdraw from the deal shows exactly how many rights Disney had: none.

BANNED

Sony owns all movie right to Spider Man, Disney/Marvel has no say on what Sony will do.

Remember when you did such a good job that you literally beat everyone else including a nostalgia/anniversary based competitor and asked your partner that after making them more money then theyve ever had before that in the future they could be equals....and your partner walks away and you get treated like ****?

I mean I know you guys hate Disney but damn.