Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
From a pure business standpoint Sony did the right thing. Spiderman is and has always been Marvel's best IP with X-Men coming in a close second. 50 percent are you kidding me, who asks for that and expect not to piss someone off?!

While Marvel has had amazing success the past decade, let's face it, they needed spiderman ip. Most of their A,B, & C listed characters are already used up. Black Panther will do well. Fantastic Four ip hasn't resonated with audiences in a long time so I don't think they are rebooting them soon. X-men will be hard as the first iteration was very well received with an amazing cast which as we can see is making it hard for any reboots (as well as crappy writing) and x-men storylines in general are more dark and mature which doesn't fit into the tone of the MCU. In short Spiderman is the gold mine still. Spiderman is consistently in the top 3 list of highest earning superhero properties each year along with batman and superman (dc properties). He is a timeless character who is highly sellable and rebootable. Let's see Marvel try to reboot Iron Man, Captain America, Ant man, or dr. Strange and see if all of those reboots combined are as successful as spiderman 3.
Overall, it's going to be interesting to see what happens because I think Disney/Marvel may look at this and come back to the table with a less offensive offer.
I think Black Panther and Captain Marvel proves they don't need Spider-Man. They can take non-A list characters and turn them into billion dollar franchises. Calling the Guardians of the Galaxy B list would be charitable prior to their movies, but they ended up making a lot of money. Right now marvel has enough momentum and good faith to turn pretty much any franchise into a sucess.

And like I said in an earlier threat, I honestly believe they expected to get rejected with the 50 percent offer. I think that's just how you negotiate. You ask for more than you think you'll get.