Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    From a pure business standpoint Sony did the right thing. Spiderman is and has always been Marvel's best IP with X-Men coming in a close second. 50 percent are you kidding me, who asks for that and expect not to piss someone off?!

While Marvel has had amazing success the past decade, let's face it, they needed spiderman ip. Most of their A,B, & C listed characters are already used up. Black Panther will do well. Fantastic Four ip hasn't resonated with audiences in a long time so I don't think they are rebooting them soon. X-men will be hard as the first iteration was very well received with an amazing cast which as we can see is making it hard for any reboots (as well as crappy writing) and x-men storylines in general are more dark and mature which doesn't fit into the tone of the MCU. In short Spiderman is the gold mine still. Spiderman is consistently in the top 3 list of highest earning superhero properties each year along with batman and superman (dc properties). He is a timeless character who is highly sellable and rebootable. Let's see Marvel try to reboot Iron Man, Captain America, Ant man, or dr. Strange and see if all of those reboots combined are as successful as spiderman 3.
    Overall, it's going to be interesting to see what happens because I think Disney/Marvel may look at this and come back to the table with a less offensive offer.
    I think Black Panther and Captain Marvel proves they don't need Spider-Man. They can take non-A list characters and turn them into billion dollar franchises. Calling the Guardians of the Galaxy B list would be charitable prior to their movies, but they ended up making a lot of money. Right now marvel has enough momentum and good faith to turn pretty much any franchise into a sucess.

And like I said in an earlier threat, I honestly believe they expected to get rejected with the 50 percent offer. I think that's just how you negotiate. You ask for more than you think you'll get.

Revolting development on all counts. Really sad to see the third movie canceled and foresee nothing short of a mess if Sony attempts to continue the series in a non-MCU continuity. Better pray that Sony gets good people working on it, treat them well, and stay out of their way, since, as we've seen before, that's the only way good Spidey movies get made by them. Still, I hope that Sony and Disney make amends; fixing the MCU series would be the better outcome then yet another reboot under untrustworthy management.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Tom Holland recently stated he wanted to play Spider-Man forever. I don't really see this as changing much from a creative standpoint. All that changes is they can't reference the MCU, Tony Stark, the Snap/Blip, or feature characters from the MCU (such as Happy Hogan, Tony Stark, Nick Fury, etc.). They can still do a successful Spider-Man film that isn't tied to the main MCU. They did just fine with the Raimi films.
    Yea when he was in the MCU working with the people hes been working with from day one. But who knows I'm not saying he wont want to but people assuming he will might be disappointed.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea when he was in the MCU working with the people hes been working with from day one. But who knows I'm not saying he wont want to but people assuming he will might be disappointed.
    I don't know if he definitively will or not. I'm just saying that I don't see this as a significant enough development for him just to up and quit provided everyone else is more or less in place.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There was a time when Wolverine was vastly more famous than any of the three characters around which Feige's team built the MCU.Disney has a reason to believe that they don't need Spider-Man. I don't claim they were reasonable in their demands, but I can see why they thought this a time to push for more.

Marvel no more need explain Spider-Man's absence than they did Sif's. We hardcore comic fans might want it, but most wont even feel the speed bump when Daredevil becomes their on-the-street hero and Nova their kid-next-door-with-powers hero. Not saying those are the properties that Disney will use to fill the hole Spider-Man leaves, only that they have ways to fill it, and if the films are good, and the shared-verse well managed, the audience won't object.
    I think Marvel and Disney have gotten cocky but not without good reason. It will be interesting if their success with their properties will continue with reboots or new character iterations (ie. Jane foster as Thor). I think Marvel will still make good films however they may start churning out characters that people don't care to see. Take Ant man for example, personally I knew the film was going to be good however I had zero desire to see it in theaters because I did not care for the character. Loved the first season of Daredevil but wasn't in a rush to binge watch season 2 when it premiered. Marvel will need to switch up to stay on top otherwise it's the Disney renaissance collapse all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Um... Peter has been very closely tied to Tony Stark in the comics in the main continuity. Tony became a friend and mentor to Peter, and even gave him the Iron Spider suit. It was even a big part of Civil War, where Tony convinced Peter to reveal his identity, and ultimately led to Peter and Tony fighting against each other later on in the series.
    But that's something that happened after Spider-Man had been around for three or four decades. Spider-Man was around before Iron-Man. Those events had nothing to do with his origin. Essentially, that storyline was just another storyline and at least part of it was wiped from existence. That's very different than feeling like Spider-Man's very origin has been usurped to make Stark relevant and that he's not his own person and his own hero who makes his own decisions autonomously but rather answers to Stark who can take away his training wheels.

Part of me wants Sony to just say the hell with the MCU and go back to their own Spider-Man series that made a fortune regardless than Spidey 2 (second series) got bad reviews. If it was an MCU movie, the reviewers would have ignored its faults and focused only on the good parts. But they probably won't because, even if they can no longer make any references to the MCU, everyone will know it's still supposed to be in that particular cash cow setting which pretty much guarantees that almost anything will hit big.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But that's something that happened after Spider-Man had been around for three or four decades. Spider-Man was around before Iron-Man. Those events had nothing to do with his origin. Essentially, that storyline was just another storyline and at least part of it was wiped from existence. That's very different than feeling like Spider-Man's very origin has been usurped to make Stark relevant and that he's not his own person and his own hero who makes his own decisions autonomously but rather answers to Stark who can take away his training wheels.

Part of me wants Sony to just say the hell with the MCU and go back to their own Spider-Man series that made a fortune regardless than Spidey 2 (second series) got bad reviews. If it was an MCU movie, the reviewers would have ignored its faults and focused only on the good parts. But they probably won't because, even if they can no longer make any references to the MCU, everyone will know it's still supposed to be in that particular cash cow setting which pretty much guarantees that almost anything will hit big.
    Kind of with you on the Sony making spiderman separate as I was disappointed with FFH version of him being pretty much iron man jr.

BANNED

This is the perfect time for the split. Peter can easily be written out of the MCU by never mentioning him again. The only Avenger who actually knew him is Tony Stark.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It made 700 million, there is no film in history that is considered a flop with that
    70m profit. You don't spend 250m + to make back 70m. There's a reason Sony went running to Disney in the first place.
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    70m profit. You don't spend 250m + to make back 70m. There's a reason Sony went running to Disney in the first place.
    Profit is profit and $70 million is a lot of money. Not only did they get back the $250 million +, that got $70 million on top of that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    Exactly.

The only reason Spider-man movies rebounded after the last Amazing Spider-man movie (which just made a little over $200 million domestically, which was ridiculously low for a Spider-man movie) was the connection to the MCU. Far From Hone hit the billion mark because of the connection to Endgame and Peter’s prominence in Infinity War but even at that, the movie still hasn’t crossed the $400m mark domestically.

Point is, as popular as Spider-man is, his movies ARE NOT surefire blockbusters. The Amazing Spider-man movies did “good” (the second one was a total disappointment hence Sony even doing a deal with Marvel) globally but they weren’t anything outstanding considering we now live in a world where Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Thor, Captain America (something Amy Paschal herself pointed out) and even Guardians of the Galaxy do better than those movies.

Sony has there work cut for them, while I’m not the biggest fan of how Marvel’s Spider-man movies have gone (I’m firmly in the camp that feels that Peter is far too connected to Tony Stark although I believe that taking Peter back to high school was to allow the audience follow the character’s growth from the very beginning), it’s clear to everyone that right now, interest in the character has largely been driven by the character’s connection to the MCU.

Mighty Member

I can’t say I’m too shaken up about this. I didn’t really care for the MCU’s Jimmy Olson take on Spider-Man. It also helps that the “Spider-Man gets to interact with other heroes of the Marvel universe” excitement died when you realize after being in 5 movies, the only hero that Peter interacted with in a meaningful way was Iron Man...

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

The only reason Spider-man movies rebounded after the last Amazing Spider-man movie (which just made a little over $200 million domestically, which was ridiculously low for a Spider-man movie) was the connection to the MCU. Far From Hone hit the billion mark because of the connection to Endgame and Peter’s prominence in Infinity War but even at that, the movie still hasn’t crossed the $400m mark domestically.

Point is, as popular as Spider-man is, his movies ARE NOT surefire blockbusters. The Amazing Spider-man movies did “good” (the second one was a total disappointment hence Sony even doing a deal with Marvel) globally but they weren’t anything outstanding considering we now live in a world where Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Thor, Captain America (something Amy Paschal herself pointed out) and even Guardians of the Galaxy do better than those movies.

Sony has there work cut for them, while I’m not the biggest fan of how Marvel’s Spider-man movies have gone (I’m firmly in the camp that feels that Peter is far too connected to Tony Stark although I believe that taking Peter back to high school was to allow the audience follow the character’s growth from the very beginning), it’s clear to everyone that right now, interest in the character has largely been driven by the character’s connection to the MCU.
    I will say that immersing him in the high school years has been the one big plus of the MCU Spider-Man movies, really emphasizing that he's a teenager. The biggest downside has been that he's in the shadow of Stark and even if he emerges from that shadow, he will never escape from it because his entire MCU origin involves being in Stark's shadow.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

The Trainwreck in me wants to see how much of an implosion Sony's Marvel Universe will be. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony%2...Universe#Other

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'll wager that's just hardball negotiations. Since marvel doesn't NEED Spider-Man, they can ask for 50/50, get rejected, and eventually negotiate less than than what they are asking for but more than they originally had.
    Yep. We live in the social media age so the negotiations are happening very publicly. I'd be very surprised if they end up actually going their separate ways.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store