Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Wish it was more, but at least the trilogy will be completed. Good to see the cooler heads prevailed.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The deal is apparently for a third Spider-Man film with Tom in the MCU for July 2021 and at least one supporting or cameo role in another MCU film.

It's certainly a better outlook than what we had before, I'll say that. I would prefer it if they could agree to keep him around long term, but if they have agreed a means of translating him over to Sony proper (as Feige's words seems to imply) that works.

I was sad to hear that they were planning to have Peter and Carol in some kind of friendship which was supposed to try and soften Carol up a little, so maybe it's possible we could get a bit of that. Excited to see a full movie with Tom still part of the MCU!

EDIT: An extra silver lining with this is when Morbius flops - as we all know it will - Sony will probably feel the need to seriously consider extending the deal once more. This might even mean that we can avoid losing Tom altogether and Venom 2 can actually be transitioned over to the MCU proper.
    Last edited by Derek Metaltron; 09-27-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    The deal is apparently for a third Spider-Man film with Tom in the MCU for July 2021 and at least one supporting or cameo role in another MCU film.

It's certainly a better outlook than what we had before, I'll say that. I would prefer it if they could agree to keep him around long term, but if they have agreed a means of translating him over to Sony proper (as Feige's words seems to imply) that works.

I was sad to hear that they were planning to have Peter and Carol in some kind of friendship which was supposed to try and soften Carol up a little, so maybe it's possible we could get a bit of that. Excited to see a full movie with Tom still part of the MCU!

EDIT: An extra silver lining with this is when Morbius flops - as we all know it will - Sony will probably feel the need to seriously consider extending the deal once more. This might even mean that we can avoid losing Tom altogether and Venom 2 can actually be transitioned over to the MCU proper.
    We don't all know Morbius will flop. Why is this a thing? Didn't we already go through everyone saying Venom would flop?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    We don't all know Morbius will flop. Why is this a thing? Didn't we already go through everyone saying Venom would flop?
    Venom had Tom Hardy though. Jared Leto is not Tom Hardy. It's fair to say that we haven't seen any of it yet so Morbius might not fail, but it doesn't exactly have a lot riding for it in my opinion.

Venom had Tom Hardy though. Jared Leto is not Tom Hardy. It's fair to say that we haven't seen any of it yet so Morbius might not fail, but it doesn't exactly have a lot riding for it in my opinion.
    Eh, I'll grant you Leto is no Hardy, but worse actors have made good films before. I'd at least wait till we get a proper teaser before damning this movie.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I don't see why the Carol/Peter friendship is a bad thing. They even dated in the comics. Not that that's going to happen here. But any connection they can keep to the MCU is a good thing. The more connections he has, the harder it will be for Sony to pull something like this again.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Leto is a talented actor (don't let Suicide Squad blind you).

I didn't know he was attached to Morbius, though. Cool, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't see why the Carol/Peter friendship is a bad thing. They even dated in the comics. Not that that's going to happen here. But any connection they can keep to the MCU is a good thing. The more connections he has, the harder it will be for Sony to pull something like this again.
    Sony didn't try "to pull" something, they were trying to do the best business move for their business. Splitting that much profit isn't/wasn't in their interests. They aren't some dick out to ruin our fun. I still see this upcoming film and the cameo one as the last of Spidey in the MCU. And I kind of hope it is to boot. A nice ending, a smooth transition, then something different.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Despite being a massive Spider-Man/MJ shipper in the comics I really liked the potential of him romancing Captain Marvel what with the funny meets serious aspect, but I suppose with the Black Panther and Storm fallout they were not willing to risk one character overshadowing the other. I would still a Spider-Man and Captain Marvel friendship though with him asking lots of 80’s and 90’s trivia and him annoying her but she grows to find him endearing (not that she’ll admit it). So Aunt Carol/Spider-Marvel for the win!

That was just a rumor that has yet to have anything to support it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Plus, Venom is Venom.

I know Morbius has the whole 'living vampire' thing going for him, but in practice, what exactly does that mean? Not much, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Plus, Venom is Venom.

I know Morbius has the whole 'living vampire' thing going for him, but in practice, what exactly does that mean? Not much, IMO
    And I have to ask again- who exactly is clamoring for a Morbius movie? The last time I even thought of that character, I was collecting the Fleer trading cards.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And I have to ask again- who exactly is clamoring for a Morbius movie? The last time I even thought of that character, I was collecting the Fleer trading cards.
    Who knows?

I suspect that Sony just saw 'vampire' and started thinking Twilight

BANNED

Disney ultimately got what it wanted - Sony gave them more of the profits. They knew they had leverage and used it to get more out of the deal. That's pretty in-line with what I've said from the outset.

Here's another prediction: Marvel is going to continue to bleed this relationship down the line hoping for Sony to eventually get sold off and get Spiderman all to themselves for free. A few spider spin-off flops and they won't need to negotiate anything. They not only got more money out of it, but bought more time towards owning it outright.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    Disney ultimately got what it wanted - Sony gave them more of the profits. They knew they had leverage and used it to get more out of the deal. That's pretty in-line with what I've said from the outset.

Here's another prediction: Marvel is going to continue to bleed this relationship down the line hoping for Sony to eventually get sold off and get Spiderman all to themselves for free. A few spider spin-off flops and they won't need to negotiate anything. They not only got more money out of it, but bought more time towards owning it outright.
    So we're still assuming that Sony will only make flops and is doomed to be sold off?