Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Spider-Man forced out of the MCU due to failed Sony Deal

So I'm not sure whether it's already discussed in the regular movie thread, but I think this deserves its own thread

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ldqpgc#4ldqpgc

Screw Sony, seriously. So what, they want the THIRD effin' Spider-Man Reboot in not even 10 years out of greed?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Tom Rothman screws up another Marvel franchise. That guy is a cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    So I'm not sure whether it's already discussed in the regular movie thread, but I think this deserves its own thread

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ldqpgc#4ldqpgc

Screw Sony, seriously. So what, they want the THIRD effin' Spider-Man Reboot in not even 10 years out of greed?
    This has disaster written all over it....for Sony. Disney proved years ago that the MCU doesn’t need Spider-man. But I doubt we can still say the same for the other way around. The franchise has been rebooted too many times in too short of a time. Nobody is going to support another one.

Extraordinary Member

Hahahahahaha.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    This has disaster written all over it....for Sony. Disney proved years ago that the MCU doesn’t need Spider-man. But I doubt we can still say the same for the other way around. The franchise has been rebooted too many times in too short of a time. Nobody is going to support another one.
    They’ve never had a flop

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They’ve never had a flop
    Amazing Spider-Man 2 was considered a flop.

Also, whats so funny?

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They’ve never had a flop
    Sure, but I think this is gonna be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I don't like how this is been reported. Sony are made to look like the bad guys.

On the brutal side, Sony may also have realized that when they do the right thing, they still put out the best Spiderman movies without any help from Disney. I think Sony should take that and just be done with it.

Ultimate Member

I’m not really surprised.

I said it another thread about what will happen next with Spider-man considering how successfully he’s been integrated into the MCU. Sony and Disney are both massive companies and at some point, the arrangement between the two was bound to come to an “end”.

I guess this just means that Sony will go it alone. Good luck to them, because their last attempt at a Spider-man was a critical flop and commercial disappointment.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I dug the Tom Holland films as much as the next guy, but Sony did well with Venom as well as Into the Spider-Verse. Disney controlling everything has never, and will never be a good thing. It's good to know they can still lose out once in a while, even if only temporarily.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

BANNED

Will Tom Holland still be Spider Man? I hope so, I like this kid. But I didn’t like the Disney inspired Peter Parker.

Sony will eventually come back to Disney for further negotiations. Probably have 3 bad Spider-Man movies, but they will be back. I know I personally won't go to a Sony Spider-Man movie if it is not in the MCU continuity, probably not the only one who thinks this way.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

So there's no middle ground between 5% and 50%?

Somebody(ies) needs to go back to business school. Or, like, lay off the nose candy.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

In any case, that's twice now a Spider-Man movie series has ended with a hook for a planned third movie that will likely never be realized because corporates just couldn't play nice. Quite a shame, isn't it?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Well, I'm not shocked at all by this. The writing has been on the wall for a while now, and with the new film making over a billion and getting a re-release, I'm sure that Sony doesn't see any reason to continue the partnership and loose out on even a percentage of profits.

That being said, Sony had big plans with a Spider-verse last time around, and they ended up imploding. I have zero faith in Sony's creative process, or in their ability to make a really good live-action Spider-Man film on their own anymore.

We finally got a Venom movie that was... okay. We got an excellent animated Spider-Man film. Apparently, they are working on producing two more Tom Holland Spider-Man films- but considering how much the last two were tied to the MCU, I wonder what they can do with him now that they won't be able to pull from that anymore. And if the next one does below expectations, I wonder if Sony will panic again and reboot the franchise for the fourth time, and if they do, how many people will actually be interested in seeing a new take on the character AGAIN.

Side note- I wonder if we'll see Peter in the Iron Spider suit ever again.

Meanwhile, Disney comes out of this looking like a winner. They got Spider-Man for the films that really mattered, and now they own Fox, which gives then back the rights to dozens of characters. They don't need Spider-Man anymore. But I wonder if, in about 10 years, we will be reading about Disney acquiring Sony pictures, or at least the rights to Spider-Man again after Sony finally killed their golden goose.