Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So we're still assuming that Sony will only make flops and is doomed to be sold off?
    Well Sony has few franchises right now. They lost the Bond franchise and won't get anything from next years Bond film. They miss-judged what Jumanji would do and seem prepared to make it a franchise now going forward. Ghostbusters III is their newest attempt at trying to create a new era franchise there. So they don't have many franchises left to build around unlike Spider-Man.

But bad press was KILLING Sony the past couple weeks. They went from one guy claiming how he was gonna make a ton of spin-off tv shows that no one is demanding to wanting to remake the Princess Bride (which many call it fucking garbage already). The press was not helping and had this idiot shut his mouth and didn't say a word it may have not kept coming up.

I can already predict by 2021 , Sony/Marvel will extend the deal for Holland to keep him around.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well Sony has few franchises right now. They lost the Bond franchise and won't get anything from next years Bond film. They miss-judged what Jumanji would do and seem prepared to make it a franchise now going forward. Ghostbusters III is their newest attempt at trying to create a new era franchise there. So they don't have many franchises left to build around unlike Spider-Man.

But bad press was KILLING Sony the past couple weeks. They went from one guy claiming how he was gonna make a ton of spin-off tv shows that no one is demanding to wanting to remake the Princess Bride (which many call it fucking garbage already). The press was not helping and had this idiot shut his mouth and didn't say a word it may have not kept coming up.

I can already predict by 2021 , Sony/Marvel will extend the deal for Holland to keep him around.
    None of that assumes their future films are going to flop though?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And I have to ask again- who exactly is clamoring for a Morbius movie? The last time I even thought of that character, I was collecting the Fleer trading cards.
    To be fair, no one was really clamoring for an Iron Man movie a dozen years ago. Also in fairness, Sony doesn't have a Feige to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

If they dont sell they're film studio. Even if these weird Spiderman spin offs all do well along with everything else they do. Wasnt part of the rumor that Sony Was looking to sale off they're Film studio because they dont have a streaming Service so someone like Apple or Amazon was willing to pay top dollar for they're catalog.

BANNED

So we're still assuming that Sony will only make flops and is doomed to be sold off?
    That is my assumption, yes. I admit, it might very well be wrong and I'll be the first to eat crow. But if you're asking me if Morbius is going to catapult Sony to a level that makes me confident with them running Spidey going forward.....I'd bet against that. Heavily.

Hell, I'd argue Sony just made that same bet themselves. They just gave up 20% of the revenue (while gaining little) so they didn't have to do it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    That is my assumption, yes. I admit, it might very well be wrong and I'll be the first to eat crow. But if you're asking me if Morbius is going to catapult Sony to a level that makes me confident with them running Spidey going forward.....I'd bet against that. Heavily.

Hell, I'd argue Sony just made that same bet themselves. They just gave up 20% of the revenue (while gaining little) so they didn't have to do it alone.
    I don't think Morbius is going to catapult Sony to the level that would make you comfortable no, but there's a world of difference between a billion dollar success and an outright flop or bomb. I'm predicting somewhere in the middle ground personally. Nothing that will be raved about, but hopefully enough to not blow the studio out of the water for all time. And frankly it almost feels like people are pulling and wishing for the latter...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    And I have to ask again- who exactly is clamoring for a Morbius movie? The last time I even thought of that character, I was collecting the Fleer trading cards.
    I prefer it when studios gave me things I didn't know I wanted.

BANNED

I don't think Morbius is going to catapult Sony to the level that would make you comfortable no, but there's a world of difference between a billion dollar success and an outright flop or bomb. I'm predicting somewhere in the middle ground personally. Nothing that will be raved about, but hopefully enough to not blow the studio out of the water for all time. And frankly it almost feels like people are pulling and wishing for the latter...
    I'll admit, I probably am and it colors my opinion. Wouldn't you agree that crawling back to Disney to give them 20% isn't a ringing endorsement of Sony's confidence in itself?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think Sony’s saviour at the moment is that people and critics seem to have responded well to the animated Spider Verse film and accepting of it as an alternate franchise to the MCU. Venomverse has started okay with audiences generally liking Venom thanks to Tom Hardy and the comical aspects, but it’s anyone’s guess if that will keep up or other films in the universe will be received as well. What happens next will determine Sony and Marvel’s relationships going forward and if Sony can remain standing.

I kind of agree with this. I also think Morbius would have been a big deal 10 years ago when the vampire craze was high thanks to twilight, vampire diaries and true blood. Morbius would need to be a good quality movie to work.

Black Cat is a better choice than madam web.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Their biggest problem with Black Cat is making her distinctive from Catwoman, although Selina has not ever had a successful film for herself so there’s that. Silver Sable is probably the most distinctive thing they’ve talked about which could work. Kraven is a great character but really doesn’t work in his own movie without Spider-Man. And Madame Webb sounds like them trying to do a Spider Woman film without the name, something already planned with Silk if that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I prefer it when studios gave me things I didn't know I wanted.
    Same here. I hate the "Who is asking for this?" post. Almost no movie in history was ever asked for, with the exception of like a handful of sequels. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Casablanca, the Godfather, who went around asking for these movies?

I'll admit, I probably am and it colors my opinion. Wouldn't you agree that crawling back to Disney to give them 20% isn't a ringing endorsement of Sony's confidence in itself?
    Why do you probably want a studio to fail and go belly up? Just because they threatened to remove Spidey away from the MCU for purely sensible business reasons?

And no, I wouldn't agree with that. We don't know they went "crawling" back, they only gave Disney half of what they asked for, and for silly fan reasons the public turned on them and their stock went down. We weren't in the negotiations, we don't know the reason they made the deal - hell, they might have planned this as a negotiating tactic from the get go, never intending to really remove Spidey from the MCU, but it just didn't go their way because so many went "Damn you Sony, you're ruining everything for me!"
    Who knows? But assuming the worst and that they're completely pathetic is...meh, not the way I'm going to think of it unless there's data suggesting to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I kind of agree with this. I also think Morbius would have been a big deal 10 years ago when the vampire craze was high thanks to twilight, vampire diaries and true blood. Morbius would need to be a good quality movie to work.

Yeah, but as long as they don't go stupid overboard on the budget it can still do moderate numbers and be a nice if mild success.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Their biggest problem with Black Cat is making her distinctive from Catwoman, although Selina has not ever had a successful film for herself so there’s that. Silver Sable is probably the most distinctive thing they’ve talked about which could work. Kraven is a great character but really doesn’t work in his own movie without Spider-Man. And Madame Webb sounds like them trying to do a Spider Woman film without the name, something already planned with Silk if that happens.
    I think catwoman needs batman more than blackcat needs spiderman. they can make a black cat movie but dont call it that because of the name similarity to catwoman. black cat is not mary jane or gwen stacy. selina is actually the mary jane of batman's life. so black cat feels more independent to have a movie than catwoman/selina.

BANNED

Why do you probably want a studio to fail and go belly up? Just because they threatened to remove Spidey away from the MCU for purely sensible business reasons?

And no, I wouldn't agree with that. We don't know they went "crawling" back, they only gave Disney half of what they asked for, and for silly fan reasons the public turned on them and their stock went down. We weren't in the negotiations, we don't know the reason they made the deal - hell, they might have planned this as a negotiating tactic from the get go, never intending to really remove Spidey from the MCU, but it just didn't go their way because so many went "Damn you Sony, you're ruining everything for me!"
    Who knows? But assuming the worst and that they're completely pathetic is...meh, not the way I'm going to think of it unless there's data suggesting to do so.
    They gave half and got nothing though and they did that for the exact reasons you list. Whether this was some master plan of theirs or not doesn't change that Disney gets more money and Sony gets more nothing.

If they were confident they could produce a film as good and as profitable as Marvel....they could've kept 100%. The simplest explanation for why they didn't is because they're pretty confident they can't.

As for the other part, the X-men fan in me is just done with anyone other than Marvel having their properties. I wish it didn't mean I had to hope for Sony's demise, but decades of crappy X-films has soured me I suppose.

They gave half and got nothing though and they did that for the exact reasons you list. Whether this was some master plan of theirs or not doesn't change that Disney gets more money and Sony gets more nothing.

If they were confident they could produce a film as good and as profitable as Marvel....they could've kept 100%. The simplest explanation for why they didn't is because they're pretty confident they can't.

As for the other part, the X-men fan in me is just done with anyone other than Marvel having their properties. I wish it didn't mean I had to hope for Sony's demise, but decades of crappy X-films has soured me I suppose.
    But Sony had nothing to do with the X-Men, that was Fox.