Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Why is the MCU required to solve the cliffhanger?
    They arent required but people would like it. But yea no if they dont fix this deal that burden will fall ON Sony and the MCU will March on like Spidey never existed. With stark gone it doesnt effect the MCU too much. Hope they find another way to bring Happy back into the MCU. Love the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    They arent required but people would like it. But yea no if they dont fix this deal that burden will fall ON Sony and the MCU will March on like Spidey never existed. With stark gone it doesnt effect the MCU too much. Hope they find another way to bring Happy back into the MCU. Love the character.
    I guess what I meant is that there is nothing about the cliffhanger (Spider-Man's identity revealed) that requires the greater MCU to resolve.

Honestly the Cliffhanger was a blessing in disguise IMO. You can just assume Pete and May went underground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Honestly the Cliffhanger was a blessing in disguise IMO. You can just assume Pete and May went underground.
    Yeah, maybe unresolved open ended is best for now. If we never get Peter in the MCU ever again at least there's a bit of explanation for it. And IF marvel and Disney ever do resolve their issues, it creates a story he can pick up again down the line.

It does sort of leave Sony in somewhat of a weird place, as far as choosing to either continue where Far From Home left off, only transplanting him from the MCU to the Spider-Verse, or trying to come up with more of a fresh start for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I guess what I meant is that there is nothing about the cliffhanger (Spider-Man's identity revealed) that requires the greater MCU to resolve.
    Ok yeah agree. The MCU is fine its Sony who has to adress it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ok yeah agree. The MCU is fine its Sony who has to adress it.
    It'd be easy enough for Sony to do that. Given how Far From Home ended all they need is a line in the first few minutes of the movie talking about how Parker has had to go underground and everyone he knows has cut ties with him. Really, the only people who gave a damn about Parker are Tony and Fury. Tony's dead and Fury is enough of an ass to cut Parker loose if he thinks he can't use Parker anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, maybe unresolved open ended is best for now. If we never get Peter in the MCU ever again at least there's a bit of explanation for it. And IF marvel and Disney ever do resolve their issues, it creates a story he can pick up again down the line.

It does sort of leave Sony in somewhat of a weird place, as far as choosing to either continue where Far From Home left off, only transplanting him from the MCU to the Spider-Verse, or trying to come up with more of a fresh start for him.
    I feel like it wouldnt be in Sony's best interests to do a fresh start. I mean, they've got the same actor and he's been in what, five or six films and has had his narrative advanced and explored. It'd be weird as hell to start back at "day one" with the same guy in the suit but a totally new continuity. Especially with the way FFH ended. It'd be easy enough to justify the lack of Avengers, given the cliffhanger.

When your film hits 1 billion you stick with what's working, you don't reinvent everything and hope for the same result.

I almost feel bad for Sony. From what I understand this whole situation started because Disney wanted a bigger stake (and more profit) from Spider-Man, and when Sony refused the first offer (which wasn't a viable offer for them) Disney walked away from the table.....and maybe leaked all this info to put pressure on Sony. But when you get in bed with the Mouse you should know what to expect. I have damn little faith in Sony to make a decent Spidey film (they've done it a few times but it's pretty damn hit or miss) and they seem to be getting a raw deal here but what did they expect from Disney, who people have called the Evil Empire since before I was born?

Honestly I expect Sony to cave and cut a deal. The main reason Holland's Spidey makes what it does is because of the MCU. Without that, *maybe* Sony makes a good film and *maybe* it does well, but these films aren't cheap to produce and tying things to the MCU turns a "maybe" into permission to print your own money.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Amazing Member

That's a big fact, if we have really lost him then this is an easy out.

Amazing Member

Wasn't Spider-man contracted for 3 solo films in the MCU before renegotiation? Why would they change the deal now, after the second one? Can someone please explain that to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It'd be easy enough for Sony to do that. Given how Far From Home ended all they need is a line in the first few minutes of the movie talking about how Parker has had to go underground and everyone he knows has cut ties with him. Really, the only people who gave a damn about Parker are Tony and Fury. Tony's dead and Fury is enough of an ass to cut Parker loose if he thinks he can't use Parker anymore.

I feel like it wouldnt be in Sony's best interests to do a fresh start. I mean, they've got the same actor and he's been in what, five or six films and has had his narrative advanced and explored. It'd be weird as hell to start back at "day one" with the same guy in the suit but a totally new continuity. Especially with the way FFH ended. It'd be easy enough to justify the lack of Avengers, given the cliffhanger.

When your film hits 1 billion you stick with what's working, you don't reinvent everything and hope for the same result.

I almost feel bad for Sony. From what I understand this whole situation started because Disney wanted a bigger stake (and more profit) from Spider-Man, and when Sony refused the first offer (which wasn't a viable offer for them) Disney walked away from the table.....and maybe leaked all this info to put pressure on Sony. But when you get in bed with the Mouse you should know what to expect. I have damn little faith in Sony to make a decent Spidey film (they've done it a few times but it's pretty damn hit or miss) and they seem to be getting a raw deal here but what did they expect from Disney, who people have called the Evil Empire since before I was born?

Honestly I expect Sony to cave and cut a deal. The main reason Holland's Spidey makes what it does is because of the MCU. Without that, *maybe* Sony makes a good film and *maybe* it does well, but these films aren't cheap to produce and tying things to the MCU turns a "maybe" into permission to print your own money.
    I'd like it if SOMEONE were to cave, at least so we could get a trilogy and maybe some closure in the MCU, if need be. But I can understand why both sides might feel now is as good a time as any to part ways. Sony has a billion dollar movie franchise now, and marvel got to use Spidey for Civil War, Infinity War, and End Game... so in a way everyone got what they needed out of the arrangement if even they're both probably leaving some money on the table by walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseBeFeige View Post
    Wasn't Spider-man contracted for 3 solo films in the MCU before renegotiation? Why would they change the deal now, after the second one? Can someone please explain that to me?
    He had a deal at the time I remember them saying for 6 films 5 the first 5 in the MCU the last 1 just Sony so we got CW, Homecoming, IW, Endgame, and FFH in the MCU. Now if it changed to more for Sony I have no clue or if the original info was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseBeFeige View Post
    I dont think anyone knows the actual details of the Sony-Disney deal. As I've heard it, either/both parties could walk away at any time. Certain people like Holland are contracted for a certain number of films but the Sony-Disney partnership was structured to give both studios a lot of wiggle room and a way to back out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd like it if SOMEONE were to cave, at least so we could get a trilogy and maybe some closure in the MCU, if need be. But I can understand why both sides might feel now is as good a time as any to part ways. Sony has a billion dollar movie franchise now, and marvel got to use Spidey for Civil War, Infinity War, and End Game... so in a way everyone got what they needed out of the arrangement if even they're both probably leaving some money on the table by walking away.
    I agree now's as good a time as any for this to happen. But without Marvel's input and influence I'm not sure if Sony *does* have a billion dollar property on their hands. They've made some great Spidey films of course, but they've struggled a lot too. Clearly they think they broke the formula but I'm not convinced they actually have.

The next solo film should do just fine either way; not only is it Spidey but it's Holland and a lot of casuals don't know the difference between the Studios anyway. But can Sony finish strong or will they stumble across the finish line here? Because that's probably gonna impact the IP's prospects down the line.

I think Sony would probably be better off playing nice with Disney for one more solo, use that to introduce Miles who can then launch into his own films, taking that shift between characters as a chance to step out of the Disney deal with as little attention as possible. That's what I'd *like* to see anyway; use the MCU's brand power to wrap up Holland's run really strong, then capitalize on the success of Into the Spider-Verse and the "OMG black Spidey!" social media attention to keep the hype rolling into the next film series.

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Nice to see Disney loose something every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Nice to see Disney loose something every now and then.
    I think everyone is losing here honestly.

Doesn't work for me.

I think everyone is losing here honestly.
    Yeah, the split isn't to anyone's benefit (unless you didn't like the movies and want a reboot).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)